R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
2019 R1250 GSA
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bolted on a Locking Pillion Box from Adventure Designs that replaces rear seat. 10"W x 9"L x 3.25"Deep (~6L).

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Among my many talents :laugh2: I was a metal fabricator for many years and that seems to be expensive for it's size. But because of it's a complicated shape that locks solidly into the pillion without any other brackets, a combination lock and it's powdercoated that's not a bad price. You swap out the box for the factory seat with just a turn of the BMW key. A big panier would have some more material but would be much easier to make. I was mentioned by Rich92040 above and I really like it. I could build one but for the price just got one from Adventure Designs.

·
Enthusiast
79 Posts
I want one. My buddy has one on his GSA and loves it. I just can't get over $300. price.
The Adventure Designs unit does look great but like most BMW aftermarket stuff, is expensive. Having some tools at the shop at work to bend aluminum, I designed and made my own back in 2018 that mounts the same way replacing the pillion seat. I fab'd the mounting hardware out of ABS plastic using a 3D printer that replicates the fittings used by the pillion seat. I even added a small backrest to help keep me forward in the saddle. My material cost was about $60.

It won't win any beauty contests but it is solid and I store all my tools/spares in it. Makes a nice platform to attach a dufflebag with Rok straps. I've used it on the road for over 15k miles and it has proved to be very roadworthy.

Attachments

·
Registered
275 Posts
I got the adventure designs box for my '17 GSA and now have it installed on my '19 GSA. Mine is Gray. I keep tire repair stuff and a few tools in the box and have never needed to use anything except an air gauge in it. I read somewhere that stuff can shift around in the box and jam the locking lever. One rider had to take the box off and shake it until the contents re-shifted so he could get in. My box appears to be watertight and is completely out of the way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts