R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a low mileage 2006 GS (4,900 miles) that has been a great bike. Back then there were few options. Mine has spoke wheels and Nav....now outdated). I plan to keep the panniers and Corbin seat, becasue they aren't involved in the trade. My bike looks and rides like new. The 2017 I am looking at is nicely equipped (low version) , and the owner traded it in on a new GSA. Only negatives are I don't love the color (can always paint those two pieces) and I really don't like the forged/mag alloy wheels. I've always been a spoke guy. Also, this 2017 has 38,500 miles. Is that high? Too high? As a result...no warranty.

My question is should I trade up into a water cooled bike? I have spoken with one person who said he did it and doesn't look back at all. I'll add to that...the dealer is highly motivated to do this deal....the cost to swap from a 2006 to a 2014 will be $6,500. I don't want that to be THE reason to change, but it does sound like a good opportunity if I am going to get a newer bike.

All opinions and thoughts are welcomed and will be appreciated.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I currently own a low mileage 2006 GS (4,900 miles) that has been a great bike. Back then there were few options. Mine has spoke wheels and Nav....now outdated). I plan to keep the panniers and Corbin seat, becasue they aren't involved in the trade. My bike looks and rides like new. The 2017 I am looking at is nicely equipped (low version) , and the owner traded it in on a new GSA. Only negatives are I don't love the color (can always paint those two pieces) and I really don't like the forged/mag alloy wheels. I've always been a spoke guy. Also, this 2017 has 38,500 miles. Is that high? Too high? As a result...no warranty.

My question is should I trade up into a water cooled bike? I have spoken with one person who said he did it and doesn't look back at all. I'll add to that...the dealer is highly motivated to do this deal....the cost to swap from a 2006 to a 2014 will be $6,500. I don't want that to be THE reason to change, but it does sound like a good opportunity if I am going to get a newer bike.

You wont be able to use your old seat and the panniers!

·
Registered
616 Posts

Check this out...less mileage

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Correct. Since they didn't take those into account on the trade, I plan to sell them. Will either keep stock seat on the 17 or try a Sargent.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Check this out...less mileage
I'll be calling tomorrow. Thank you

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I called about that bike....already a deposit on it. It fit what I wanted perfectly. I found another that had all I wanted, but it was gone as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts

I’m biased, I love my’05. The newer one has electronic suspension and a scosh more power. Otherwise the ‘06 is, as you said, a great bike. I rode a nearly new ‘16 after a friend bought it and didn’t like it any better. The air cooled engine is durable and reliable, both are. It seems to me that there is a lot of value in a 14 year old bike with such low mileage that you would give up. Especially when you get a bike with 30,000 more miles. Also that money can buy you a lot of farkles. I have not tried it yet but, I’d bet the suspension upgrades out there(Öhlins, Wilburs) would be even better than the stock ‘16. Whatever you decide, I hope you have great times on it.

·
Registered
616 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
IMHO, having 4900 miles on a 2006 bike shows you don't ride much so why spend the money on a new bike.

I say keep what you have and spend the money on something else.....especially since you love your bike and you have no problems or issues with it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
With Covid, I'd rather not spend the money on a newer bike. I do like the way the lower version feels. If I don't buy a newr bike, the fhe farkles I'd like to add are lights for the bars, and a bar that makes it look like a GS. Any suggestions as to what I should look at re those items, will be apprecaited

·
Registered
300 Posts
If you want to refresh your '06s look...give these a look. Working well for me so far, and way brighter than stock.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Check out “Clearwater, Denali and PIAA“ for lights, just google those companies. PIAA are the most common I’ve seen and I have them on mine. Also I have the additional brake light, you can find the BMW part at A&S Cycles. On my other bike I have the Clearwater Billie, excellent, better than the one on the GS.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts