R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Been lurking around for awhile, but no more. Recently found a bike sale and would appreciate any advice you knowledgeable kind people could share. I've never owned a GS and am excited to take the plunge. The bike is a 2009 GS with 37,000 miles, however it's been been upgraded heavily. Has the ESA suspension, fog lamps, aluminum panniers and trunk, GPS, heated grips, Sargent seat, spoked wheels, LED lights and blinkers, and Akrapovic exhaust.

The guy selling it is the 2nd owner and has put 30,000 miles for the 7 years he's owned it. The current owner has not taken the bike in for any service intervals, just did oil changes. No valve adjustment, no throttle syncing, nothing. Starting the bike was a little rough and didn't start right away. Guy said it does that when cold, took a second or two to fire up. Once it did fire it did sound like it had an irregular idle, like something was off. The bike doesn't look like it has been washed in a long time. Has surface rust on the center stand, pannier mounts, and exhaust.

I took it for a ride and it didn't feel like anything was wrong, ran well, shifted very nicely and sounded good. I think he has it priced correctly too, I could get it for $6,000, probably even a little less.

Anyway, I can clean and fix allot of the issues it has (needs new tires) but the engine. Any major concerns without having any of the service intervals done? Would basic maintenance bring it back to running strong again?

Appreciate any advice you could provide. Thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Looks like a good deal but I'd offer lower than top dollar if the service is not updated

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I've bought a couple of these Hexhead GS/GSA and from my expierence I don;t care about service records on a decade+ old bike. If it runs and rides now does it really matter if it had the 600 mile service on July of 2009 or its 12,000 miles service in October of 2012?

I look the bike over and if it runs rides and is not spewing oil from all gasketed areas if has no more value to me than if it has meticulous serious records.

The rough running/starting I'd bet you would easily be cured by fresh fuel. Sure the valves should be check and once properly adjusted may aid in a bit easier starting. Ther rest of the bike if in my care would also get serviced. All fluids, filters, oils, and entire driveline inspection. Then a thorough cleaning so I really get to know every nook and cranny of the bike.

Throttle bodied would be very low on my list of things that must be done. In my expierence its rare they need adjusted especially at only 30,000 miles.

The bike may or may not have been heavily farkled. All Hexhead GS have heated grips. Make sure they actually work. If not they are $150 each. The panniers sound like GSA which is good. Better than the more common Vario's that are normally on the GS. ESA suspension is good/bad. The OEM suspension is not great (better than a lot of bikes) and the ESA adds a huge level of expense when going aftermarket. The good news is you can always abandon it and go with manually adjustable shocks. My latest GSA has ESA and I find after a couple weeks of fooling with it I just leave it set on "NORM" most of the time. GOS and trunk are also very common. Honestly it sound like this bike is outfitted like 99% of the rest of the worlds GS/GSA and that a good thing.

Price of $6,000 is up to you. Not bad but not great. If you can doo al the service work yourself helps. If relying on BMW budget or factor $1,200 to $1,500 in to the price.

These bikes are easy to work on and with $100 in fluids, oil and filters you can have it up to snuff in a few days.

If you are local to me I can walk you through the service.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts