R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there! I'm a long time endurance rider who is looking to get back in the saddle. Looking forward to meeting folks and hopefully riding with some of you!

The last time I owned something with two wheels, it was a scooter in Thailand and I sold my K1100RS in 2010.

I don't have a single piece of gear, I move too much.

I'll be doing research to figure out the right bike for me. I'm currently leaning towards a 2018 r1200gs Rallye but not sure I need the extra off-road ability. I took the RS through Central America to the end of the PanAm in '95 on a rally and it spent a fair bit of time off-road. Ya, superbike in the dirt isn't super smart but it was fun. And road a Yamaha 125 dual sport 4k across Vietnam in '13.

Looking forward to doing some great trips in MX and Central America!

·
Super Moderator
686 Posts
Welcome, sounds like you have plenty of adventures under your belt.

If you struggle finding a GS in Mexico City you'll no doubt find plenty in Texas. Only thing I can think of that may be a question is availability of premium fuel down there...but I know a lot of guys run regular with no problems. May be some threads in the forum on that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I figured out all the things! The bike is mine, I found great insurance at a bargain price. Full coverage! My bike still has 6 months of warranty, so I'm going to ride the hell out of it. I bought all my geat and a top rack, so I can be ATGATT. I've got some amazing crash bars and a beef skid plate coming and a few other things the bike needs before offroad is an option. The big looks to have never been offroad. It has zero accessories, which I find very weird. But it only has 12k kilometers on it. It's got a TFT and a normal seat.

I was able to find top quality gear at a price that made it worth not importing stuff.

I'll be doing day trips every weekend until I feel I've got my groove back, then weekend trips for a while. And a nice long-distance trip in the new year.

I've read the manuals and the Ralley supplement. I think I'm going for Musko Backcountry Panniers even though I'll do a long off-road riding. The top case is good enough for security. And I think soft bags are not only safer but more durable and offer more packing options.

Looking forward to finding ride buddies!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts