R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A group of us are developing a new product for the ADV travel market—specifically for riders who take longer trips. We hope this new product will open up more opportunities for ADV travel and make your adventures even more fun and rewarding—at least for some riders. We’re making this product because we wanted one and no one was making it.

We have a two-part questionnaire we hope you’ll take part in:
  • Part 1 - we ask about you, your GS, your travels, and your gear.
  • Part 2 - we show you a picture of our product, some info about it, and ask you some specific questions about it.

200 RESPONSE LIMIT & GIVEAWAY Of course there has to be something in it for you! We will take 200 answers and we will raffle off a $100 Visa gift card and a $50 Visa gift card.

It’ll take you 10 to 15 minutes to complete. Your answers and information will be kept in strict confidence—we will never share any information with anyone for any reason.

·
Registered
549 Posts
While I'm not in on the survey especially something so secret you cannot even disclose what part of motorcycling its related too I can tell the longer (as in more days) I travel the less stuff I take with me. Going away for a week I pack enough stuff to have clean underwear and socks each day. Shirts are a 2/3 day thing since basically they are covered up an unless I slop food on them stay clean. Pants are much the same. When traveling for weeks it just easier to have 3 of 4 days of cloths and do laundry every 3rd day. I don't camp so cooking or shelter is of no concern to me.

A buddy of mine went on a 5 week trip PA to Prudhoe Bay took the cloths on his back and a extra set of jeans in case he hit rain. Not sure what you'd market to him?

·
Super Moderator
685 Posts
@roddesu
Why no info on the product?

Why the shady looking link with no company info?

Is there some super secret intellectual property or are you just harvesting data?

Apologies for the skepticism, plenty of scammers on the forum recently.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's good to be skeptical online. I am as well, generally. There is no company yet. We are currently in CAD design (nearly done) and are about to create prototypes. As I said above, I want one of these for my wife and myself to travel, and that's why I'm going down this path.

Why we're not saying what it is and doing two parts of the questionnaire is very simple—we'd like to get your honest opinion to a few questions before we give you the product info and picture. We don't want the info to impact your answer to general questions about how you travel. We've only gotten a couple dozen responses and we're seeing it already...people change their mind after they see what we what we're developing. In the first part of the questionnaire, they tell us that they don't want or need what we're developing, then they see it and some change their minds.

Mostly we expect people to not want what we're developing (of the two dozen answers we've gotten so far, only 2 have said they'd like to buy one), and we want them to honestly tell us that. It's a fairly niche product.

I hope that makes sense. There is truly nothing nefarious about this—just trying to get people's honest opinions before we invest more money into developing this. There is a lot of evidence people want this thing otherwise we wouldn't have gone this far. As a moderator, you have access to my email. Send me an email and I'll happily send you some info.

Thanks,
Rod

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While I'm not in on the survey especially something so secret you cannot even disclose what part of motorcycling its related too I can tell the longer (as in more days) I travel the less stuff I take with me. Going away for a week I pack enough stuff to have clean underwear and socks each day. Shirts are a 2/3 day thing since basically they are covered up an unless I slop food on them stay clean. Pants are much the same. When traveling for weeks it just easier to have 3 of 4 days of cloths and do laundry every 3rd day. I don't camp so cooking or shelter is of no concern to me.

A buddy of mine went on a 5 week trip PA to Prudhoe Bay took the cloths on his back and a extra set of jeans in case he hit rain. Not sure what you'd market to him?
We'd definitely not sell your buddy this! heh.

It's more for people like me who travel with their spouse and full camping gear, and weight and space become issues. My wife and I spent two years bicycling around the world in the 80s...I know about traveling light. But now I'm older and don't want to sit on the ground or sleep on it either like I did when I was 20.

I've pretty much given away what it is...and as you'll see below in my reply to the moderator, the reason we aren't flat out saying what it is is so we get your honest answer to how you travel/what you take with you before we show it to you. We're seeing people say, "no way would I want that" and then they see it and start to change their minds. I want to know what they think before they see it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@roddesu
Why the shady looking link with no company info?
One last thing I want to be clear about, the "shady link" is to PilotDigital.com, which is my day job and the company I've built for the past 12 years. I guess you could say it's shady because it's digital marketing, but mostly we help companies put ads up, like what you see in the right column of this page. Our biggest clients are hospital groups and healthcare-related national non-profits.

Also, I did just join this forum to post this questionnaire. That's because I don't own a GS. I have a Super Tenere and am somewhat active (more of a lurker) on the S10 forum. I've posted to KTM Adventure, V-Strom, and AfricaTwin forums as well.

·
Super Moderator
685 Posts
Sorry to seem harsh. All the additional posts help...the lack of info raised a lot of questions for me. I get wanting to protect IP.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry to seem harsh. All the additional posts help...the lack of info raised a lot of questions for me. I get wanting ro protect IP.
Not a problem! I appreciate the chance to explain. The V-Strom forum banned me right away—they're the only one. GS, KTM, S10, and AfricaTwins have been responding well though. Guess I'm learning a bit about the cultures around the bikes as well as their opinions!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Asking for first and last name as well as age range and email address is a bit much and outside the range of how most surveys work, even those where there is a chance to get a reward.

·
'05 R 1200 Gs
658 Posts
With the "mandatory" fields this seems more like data harvesting for future marketing of product. Linking my name, e mail address, etc. is not something I would volunteer.

·
Super Moderator
685 Posts
Not a problem! I appreciate the chance to explain. The V-Strom forum banned me right away—they're the only one. GS, KTM, S10, and AfricaTwins have been responding well though. Guess I'm learning a bit about the cultures around the bikes as well as their opinions!
As this is a global group, do you fully comply to GDPR for our European friends?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
With the "mandatory" fields this seems more like data harvesting for future marketing of product. Linking my name, e mail address, etc. is not something I would volunteer.
I have removed the name requirements. You're right...it's not important that we have names.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As this is a global group, do you fully comply to GDPR for our European friends?
We had it configured to show for only European IP numbers, but I've turned it on for everyone now. Thanks for pointing that out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Asking for first and last name as well as age range and email address is a bit much and outside the range of how most surveys work, even those where there is a chance to get a reward.
After talking with my team, we have removed the requirement to give an email address. You don't have to give your email address unless you want to be a part of the drawing for the gift cards.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Did the survey. It didn't hurt. A product that I would not be interested in

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good luck with the product however I'm not your market.
Thanks! Yep, we're very aware that this is not everyone's cup of tea/coffee/cocoa. I looked at your answers and your idea of fun is a bit more hardcore than the people we're going after. Nonetheless, I appreciate your feedback. Have a great fall of riding.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Did the survey. It didn't hurt. A product that I would not be interested in
Thank you for taking the time! How many people are not interested is a hugely important point for us, so thank you. We expect the majority won't be interested in it.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Thank you for taking the time! How many people are not interested is a hugely important point for us, so thank you. We expect the majority won't be interested in it.
Interesting I'll say that, but not anything I could ever be in the market for. Good luck to ya!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts