R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a mint condition 2006 GS with 5,000 miles on it. Now that I am riding again (I was riding short trips, and I do not ride in the summer due to southern heat and humidity = misery), I'd like to upgrade to a water cooled bike. Hunting pre-owned bikes is not nearly as easy as cars. Pricing is all over the place, many Cycletrader advertisers never respond, etc. I realize that this is not the time of year to buy a bike, and I can wait until the winter to buy and then wait until spring to sell mine. I also want the low version. I noticed that this site doe not have a "Bikes for Sale" section.

Any advice is welcome. I'm look for a 2014 to 2016 GS, low, and cross spokes.

p.s. I do have wife's blessing, but she did ask a good question: "Why do you need a new (new to me) motorcycle, when you have one that looks new and has to be service annually , because you don't ride it much?" I told her that "need" has nothing to do with it. One dealer (he has a low GS for sale, but miles a little high) told me that he has both, and hed love to sell me a bike....but "I'm not sure if I'd spend the cash to go to a water cooled bike. What you've got is an amazing bike." Again....it's just want.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate you doing that. It's a fantastic bike and a great buy. I tlked with the seller, and he is a super guy....no pressure and helpful. I don't really like white or the black engine option. Since I keep bikes for a long time, I figured I need to get something I want to live with for a long time. The white isn't really a problem, because I can get those two small parts wrapped in any color I want. I can't change the black motor, and I figure it will get dirty as heck. I have a little OCD on keeping my stuff looking like new, so I don't get tired of it. I keep bikes or cars until I get tired of them. My prior car was 16 years old when I got tired of it. Interior and exterior looked new.

Local dealer has nice one...a 17 but has 38,500 on it, and their policy is no test rides. They're not the best dealer we've had. I pay a premium to an indy shop to maintain my bike. I don't want this dealer working on my bike.

p.s. My OCD on keeping stuff looking new is what drives my wife crazy. She doesn't care what I buy, but gets ticked when I remind her to close the car door by the door handle....don't push the black window trim to close it.

·
Registered
607 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
their policy is no test rides.
That is a really stupid policy given the number of buyers with a policy to not spend money before they ride it.

I get the joyride issue, but if I roll up in any respectable motorcycle and talk like I'm going to do a deal...that should indicate I'm worthy of a test ride.

My local dealer has the same thing on new KTMs.

·
'14 R1200 GS Adv "Freya"
124 Posts
With the present 30% unemployment rate in the country I think there will likely be a fire sale of used LC GS/GSA available from unfortunate folks that have lost a job but still have a payment. Keep your eyes open, Cash will be king.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am very fortunate to have cash. Never know, but I hope I don't buy from somebody who has to sell for financial reasons related to crisis. If it's a lack of fiscal responsibility....different. I am surprised at the people who have ads out and then don't even respond. Maybe their bike is sold, but if so.....please take the ad down or just respond..."sold."

·
Registered
607 Posts
I am very fortunate to have cash. Never know, but I hope I don't buy from somebody who has to sell for financial reasons related to crisis. If it's a lack of fiscal responsibility....different. I am surprised at the people who have ads out and then don't even respond. Maybe their bike is sold, but if so.....please take the ad down or just respond..."sold."
Thats what annoys me the most....people put up stuff for sale and never bother answering questions or getting back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts