R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There's a much louder & inexpensive almost direct replacement BMW Series 5 car horn for our late model GS's. The number is VEMO Horn - Low Tone (420 Hz) 61338381271 and there's a video on how to install it. https://youtu.be/MJVf70e1Lfo It's much louder because it's usually under the hood of a car and now it's out in the open. It uses the same plug that's on the GS. I got mine for under 15$. I used the horn circuit on the Denali's Cansmart ( Hexcode the same ) for accessories ( and not for a horn ) and just plugged the horn into the bikes horn circuit. This horn draws a few more amps than the stock horn but will work for normal short horn blasts. If you stand on the horn for a while it will be timed out by the bike's CANbus system for a short time as a overload. I've used this horn for over 10K miles and it only overloaded the bike once when I tested it for almost a 10 second straight blast. For normal blasts it works fine and is attention getting plus the fact the Cansmart flashed the forward add-on lites. If you don't need the Cansmart/Hexcode horn circuit for accessories than just plug into the the Cansmart. For my bikes accessories like radar, cell phone and tank bag electrics I just selected the horn circuit on the Denali/Hexcode app to be accessories and not horn. I also plug my heated vest directly into the battery. Hope this is new to some of you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How loud is loud?

I have a recent Denali Soundbomb that delivers 140dB. Easy to wire directly to battery (but won't work directly with CANbus). Draws 35 amps. Use 2 20amp fuses in parallel. Has a relay for attaching to your existing horn button; I rigged it so I can remove it if I want and use the OEM horn. I installed it under the "beak" of my 2011 R1200GS Adventure, attached it to lamp cord that runs back to the battery.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a recent Denali Soundbomb that delivers 140dB. Easy to wire directly to battery (but won't work directly with CANbus). Draws 35 amps. Use 2 20amp fuses in parallel. Has a relay for attaching to your existing horn button; I rigged it so I can remove it if I want and use the OEM horn. I installed it under the "beak" of my 2011 R1200GS Adventure, attached it to lamp cord that runs back to the battery.
Mine appears much loader and it costs $14.48 (even obnoxious when standing next to the bike + the strobing of the Denali's driving lights ) than my friends Soundbomb with a direct wiring ( plug&play ) to the bikes OEM wiring as I stated in the original post.

·
Registered
824 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
VEMO Horn - High Tone (510 Hz) 61338381272

Hi,

Does anyone have installed the same VEMO horn but the high tone one (61338381272)?
Would it be plug and play as some of you described for the low tone one? The horn is: Horn High Tone 510 Hz VEMO 61338381272 For: BMW E39 525i 530i 2001 – 2003.
If this fit plug and play, would it sound louder than the stock bike horn?
I thank your input.
Have a good day

Héctor

·
Registered
279 Posts
Here is a link to the BMW/Vemo car horn in conjunction with Clearwater Erica Lights. The horn is LOUD and the flashing Clearwaters really get a texting cagers attention.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BMW horn price

So vemo is same as OEM BMW?
Its $29.99 on amazon. Where did others get it from for $15?
I stand corrected as you can see below I paid $11 + $10 shipping. Still much cheaper and louder then the soundbomb plus has the same BMW type plug. The internet is a very fluid thing when it comes to prices. When something becomes popular the prices go up quickly. I noticed today they were about $22. You got to google that part number and get the best bottom line price. /Users/robertzarick/Desktop/Screen Shot 2020-01-20 at 12.13.52 PM.png

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
There's a much louder & inexpensive almost direct replacement BMW Series 5 car horn for our late model GS's. The number is VEMO Horn - Low Tone (420 Hz) 61338381271 and there's a video on how to install it. https://youtu.be/MJVf70e1Lfo It's much louder because it's usually under the hood of a car and now it's out in the open. It uses the same plug that's on the GS. I got mine for under 15$. I used the horn circuit on the Denali's Cansmart ( Hexcode the same ) for accessories ( and not for a horn ) and just plugged the horn into the bikes horn circuit. This horn draws a few more amps than the stock horn but will work for normal short horn blasts. If you stand on the horn for a while it will be timed out by the bike's CANbus system for a short time as a overload. I've used this horn for over 10K miles and it only overloaded the bike once when I tested it for almost a 10 second straight blast. For normal blasts it works fine and is attention getting plus the fact the Cansmart flashed the forward add-on lites. If you don't need the Cansmart/Hexcode horn circuit for accessories than just plug into the the Cansmart. For my bikes accessories like radar, cell phone and tank bag electrics I just selected the horn circuit on the Denali/Hexcode app to be accessories and not horn. I also plug my heated vest directly into the battery. Hope this is new to some of you.

After watching the video I went and ordered the horn, I did not need to remove any body panels, It took less than 3 minutes to install. Just removed the center nut on the center of the horn. Plugged it in and tightened the Nut.

Reactions: Ed F. and bobz

·
'05 R 1200 Gs
653 Posts

·
Just Another Guy!!!!
53 Posts
Used my horn in traffic here in Florida and it's pathetic....I'll be replacing mine as well!!!
Good info....:nerd:

·
'05 R 1200 Gs
653 Posts
The 2nd part of the install video is the test the installer performed post install. The difference, if any seemed to be negligible at best. No increase in dB level.

·
Registered
8 Posts
After watching the video I went and ordered the horn, I did not need to remove any body panels, It took less than 3 minutes to install. Just removed the center nut on the center of the horn. Plugged it in and tightened the Nut.
I was thinking the same thing after locating my factory horn just hanging there in the upper well in front of the radiator. Did the slack in the wire let you point the horn down or fwd as desired?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I was thinking the same thing after locating my factory horn just hanging there in the upper well in front of the radiator. Did the slack in the wire let you point the horn down or fwd as desired?
Pretty much, sorry it took so long to reply

·
Registered
136 Posts
I had an air horn but removed it after 3 years. I found that I was afraid to use it in traffic, thinking it might frighten drivers and cause an accident. Cows and deer, on the other hand, didn't seem fazed by it. Went back to meep meep.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I use a Denali Sound Bomb on my R1250GS. More money, time and effort to mount and wire (using the Cansmart horn circuit). Still has OEM horn installed and finctional

Sound Bomb very loud, startles pedestrians, gets drivers’ attention. No Canbus issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree with no need to remove panels on a GS1250 ADV. Just undo the center nut and remove the oem horn with the 5 series BMW horn. 5 min to install.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts