R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to replace the rubbish horn on my R1200GS LC with something much louder. I would like to simply unbolt the existing one and bolt on a new one. No modifications, no different/extra brackets.

Any recommendation.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I went with the FIAMM one, but the mini denali seems quite popular. FIAMM is a good improvement to stock but I have no basis for comparison beyond that.

On the FIAMM I've had to get a spare connector I think. Either that of solder the wiring on the the new horn. Not sure how I managed it, but I didnt want to damage the bike loom/connector by tapping into them.

No idea with the mini denali comes with the right connector or whether it needs that too.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I went with the FIAMM one, but the mini denali seems quite popular. FIAMM is a good improvement to stock but I have no basis for comparison beyond that.

On the FIAMM I've had to get a spare connector I think. Either that of solder the wiring on the the new horn. Not sure how I managed it, but I didnt want to damage the bike loom/connector by tapping into them.

No idea with the mini denali comes with the right connector or whether it needs that too.
The mini does in fact need the additional quick disconnect/connect part which can be found on RevZilla also or at least that is where I purchased it from I'm sure you can find it on may different sites.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that!

Ordered a Denali Sound Bomb Mini from Amazon and a wiring adapter for BMW with Canbus from a local motorcycle parts supplier.

Hopefully ear plugs will be required when fitted!!!!

·
Lifetime Rider of Bikes
42 Posts
Louder Horn, ???

I find the OEM horn to be more than loud enough for my needs and just to be sure, I rigged my Clearwater brights to flash when the horn is pressed for as long as you hold it down. ;the few times I needed to alert a driver of my presence the horn and flashing light totally got their attention.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To be honest it's not so much the volume as the tone. Whenever I have to use the original horn I'm convinced other road users start looking for a Vespa.

Call it aural snobbery, if you like.

Further to fitting a Denali Soundbomb Mini. Looks like I need a bracket extension. What distance from the original hole to a new one is required to prevent the new horn from fouling the plastic bits.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Honestly, from a purely "don't have the time" perspective, I want a louder horn but I don't want to have to go taking off body plastic to run new wires or mount.

The stock horn is just unacceptable for a bike costing as much as this. This week had multiple run ins with cars that encroached on my lane and my horn did little to get their attention or convey my displeasure.

So is the Denali Sound Bomb Mini really that much better than stock. It appears to work off the same wiring without having to have a dedicated 12v to the battery like some I've seen.

·
Registered
35 Posts
...Looks like I need a bracket extension. What distance from the original hole to a new one is required to prevent the new horn from fouling the plastic bits.
Here's a tidbit you might want to consider.

I discovered this somewhere down the road when "re-horning" too many moto's to recall. I would not alter the mounting strap.

Higher-end disk-type horns carry a written caveat, sometimes in fine print and/or at the bottom or on the back of the installation instructions. These horns are audio engineered to specific mounting harmonics designed in sound labs for max tone amplitude and quality. The mounting bracket is critical to producing the intended sound. The mount must carry the mass of the horn without interference from stationary contact or altered mounting. Altering the length and/or bending the usual straight strap will degrade performance. Sometimes it's a more sophisticated bi-metal set-up as it is (was before I replaced it) on my OEM BMW '15 GSA.

Your priorities may dictate non-ideal mounting, I get that. But for full throated, back-teeth-rattling respect in traffic, I go for max performance. Placement of the horn is important also, even though vehicle OEMs often tuck horns in back recesses and pointed the wrong way. Apparently many vehicle OEMs aren't as particular about how their horns project as moto horns have to be (IMHO).

Whatever the horn set-up, it's far more important to keep your thumb on that button when the moving obstacles start to pack up around you. ;)

·
Registered
275 Posts
To second Hatch's comment, when I ordered my Denali mini, the salesman said to be sure and use the strap/bracket that came with the horn. If it is mounted solidly to the frame, you won't get the performance you want. I ordered the adapter fitting from my BMW dealer and haven't installed the horn yet. The directions indicate there is no polarity on the wiring, so either wire will work to either tab. NOTE: there is a small screw sticking out of the back of the soundbomb mini. This is not an adjustment, do not mess with it...

·
Registered
21 Posts

mm

Put on the Fiamm big improvement!!! took
2 minutes to put horn but 2 hours to get enough panels off too get 6" of harness out to extended 2 existing harness wires
I guess there's a kit but always hate paying outlandish prices for wire kits in this case I shoulda known better

·
'05 R 1200 Gs
523 Posts
mm

Put on the Fiamm big improvement!!! took
2 minutes to put horn but 2 hours to get enough panels off too get 6" of harness out to extended 2 existing harness wires
I guess there's a kit but always hate paying outlandish prices for wire kits in this case I shoulda known better
Is your install a 72102 Freeway blaster? If so Walmart online has it for $16.99

https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=fiamm+horn&&adid=22222222224327826771&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=o&wl2=c&wl3=84043925344210&wl4=kwd-84043936042357:loc-190&wl5=71740&wl6=&wl7={loc_interest_ms%20}&wl14=fiamm%20horn&veh=sem?msclkid=765c27857d8019d5eec47d0ca97ba7dc

·
Registered
21 Posts
Same one @ amazon prime $13.28 on my porch 3 days
FIAMM 72112 Freeway Blaster LOW Note Horn
Sold by: Amazon.com Services, Inc.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I watched a video on an owner install of a Sound Bomb Split this afternoon. 3/4 of the video consisted of removing faring screws with the comment that that many differ in length though most are 25mm.

Over/under/above/beside/fore/aft/below...careful with the inserts on the back side of this piece, they fall out and get lost easy...you name it. Just me but I'd rather change the LH Track on a Cat D-9 than do a total faring remove and reinstall.

I guess the real question is would I rather get runned over than do the faring work? I'm still pondering that 😵

·
Registered
168 Posts
Honestly, from a purely "don't have the time" perspective
The stock horn is just unacceptable for a bike costing as much as this.
Sorry Buddy, but this makes no sense.
So, the more expensive the vehicle, the louder the horn? I sometimes rent small trucks to move machines and the horn on these things sound like a toy horn.
It might have something to do with the legal noise the horn is allowed to produce in some countries.
No stock horn I ever had on a bike, was better or worst than the GS'.

It takes approx. an hour (may be two) to mount a new horn, including bracket and wiring. You don't have an hour?
Why do I know this, done on the GS and many other bikes before (great "how to" videos on Youtube) :wink2:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sorry Buddy, but this makes no sense.
So, the more expensive the vehicle, the louder the horn? I sometimes rent small trucks to move machines and the horn on these things sound like a toy horn.
It might have something to do with the legal noise the horn is allowed to produce in some countries.
No stock horn I ever had on a bike, was better or worst than the GS'.

It takes approx. an hour (may be two) to mount a new horn, including bracket and wiring. You don't have an hour?
Why do I know this, done on the GS and many other bikes before (great "how to" videos on Youtube) :wink2:
Have you looked at the horn? It's cheap. It's not so much the sound level of the horn as it is the quality of the sound. As others have said, it sound like something off a scooter.

Some people have time to / like to tear their bike down on every chance. I'm not interested in doing that at this time; 1) the bike is 3 weeks old, and 2) as I stated earlier I don't have the time.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Have you looked at the horn? It's cheap. It's not so much the sound level of the horn as it is the quality of the sound. As others have said, it sound like something off a scooter.
Some people have time to / like to tear their bike down on every chance. I'm not interested in doing that at this time; 1) the bike is 3 weeks old, and 2) as I stated earlier I don't have the time.
I have no interest in arguing with you, but I just don't buy the no time statement. It might not be a priority for you.

You might need to do something yourself or get somebody to do it for you, as you are unhappy with the "scooter horn".

My bike was in pieces when it was 1 day old. Some people like to work on their bikes and other don't. Simple as that!

·
Registered
368 Posts
My bike was in pieces when it was 1 day old. Some people like to work on their bikes and other don't. Simple as that!
Counter Point:

My bike was tooling down a drop dead gorgeous coastal Virginia by-way when it was 1 day old. Just say'in.

I'll work on most anything that demands a repair or requires modification but somehow to me, this horn escalation "sounds" a lot like the loud exhaust argument. A horn is not a magic bullet, acute observation of the fluid surroundings encountered in traffic is your best defense, in my humble opinion. I do not find the stock horn on my '17 GSA to be all that puny and the very few times I've needed to blow it, it sort of worked and I question whether an increase in 20 decibels would make things much better, especially if I have to remove 30+ fasteners and strip the bike naked to install.

This coming season my pony will probably be sporting new Darlas with Amber lens covers, self installed. The biggest threat in the states is deer bounding onto the road and neither lights nor horn will help. Not riding at dawn or dusk will.

Admission: If I regularly rode crowded urban routes I might see the horn issue differently but as it stands, I am able to avoid that almost entirely.

I would be the last to deny anyone else the "pleasure" of disassembly and the confidence of a louder horn, it's just not for me.

·
Registered
376 Posts
To be honest it's not so much the volume as the tone. Whenever I have to use the original horn I'm convinced other road users start looking for a Vespa.

Call it aural snobbery, if you like.

Further to fitting a Denali Soundbomb Mini. Looks like I need a bracket extension. What distance from the original hole to a new one is required to prevent the new horn from fouling the plastic bits.
Mine took like 10 minutes to install and did not need anything besides the quick connect hookup I did order separate for it. It comes with the bracket and i just used the original bracket and the bracket it comes with together. Easy install and it works great and trust me I am no installer i like plug and play!

·
Registered
376 Posts
I watched a video on an owner install of a Sound Bomb Split this afternoon. 3/4 of the video consisted of removing faring screws with the comment that that many differ in length though most are 25mm.

Over/under/above/beside/fore/aft/below...careful with the inserts on the back side of this piece, they fall out and get lost easy...you name it. Just me but I'd rather change the LH Track on a Cat D-9 than do a total faring remove and reinstall.

I guess the real question is would I rather get runned over than do the faring work? I'm still pondering that 😵
i'm not sure what you guys are talking about you don't need to remove anything other then the one nut that holds the old horn on, everything is plug n play after that. Easy guys!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts