R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there guys ,

I’ve recently started to notice that when I power the front wheel up I hear a pretty violent sounding thud as the wheel fully extends the suspension (before the wheel is ever back down on the ground)

Any ideas what this could be ?

and to anyone who says don’t do wheelies:
It’s an Offroad bike and wheel lofting over obstacles or ruts to save ur front wheel is a thing.

· Administrator
2,092 Posts
Something is loose. (Someone had to say it…😀)

This isn’t one of the bikes with failing stanchions is it?

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Something is loose. (Someone had to say it…😀)

This isn’t one of the bikes with failing stanchions is it?
No it’s 2022
But I do notice that the spring rotates ever so slightly if I grab it and rotate it

but the only movement comes from where the Pin slots in on the top and bottom of the shock Itself.

· Registered
2006 R1200GS, 2007 R1200GS. 2005 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GSA, 2005 R1200GS, 2006 R1200GS, 2
2,392 Posts
Ball joint on the telelever tits up?

Not on the top of the front shock coming loose?

Honestly being a 2022 no matter what it is, it's the dealers problem, not yourn.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ball joint on the telelever tits up?

Not on the top of the front shock coming loose?

Honestly being a 2022 no matter what it is, it's the dealers problem, not yourn.
Problem is finding a dealer I trust to not break shit or dismiss the problem especially since it’s only happening when lifting the front wheel and they may blame me

how would I check those two things u just mentioned ?

· Registered
2006 R1200GS, 2007 R1200GS. 2005 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GSA, 2005 R1200GS, 2006 R1200GS, 2
2,392 Posts
Problem is finding a dealer I trust to not break shit or dismiss the problem especially since it’s only happening when lifting the front wheel and they may blame me

how would I check those two things u just mentioned ?
If there is a clunk and you figure out what that is a broken, damaged or lose part what is your next step?

My suggestion would be finding a dealership you trust and talk with them about your issues/concerns.

· Registered
52 Posts
That would usually be the front rebound kicking in to stop things topping out. Maybe the shock has lost its oil or the internal rubber has gone?

I'd get the dealer to take a look.

If you have a MX stand you could elevate the front end and see if anything hitting as an obvious first look?

Then:

Joints
All tight
Replace shock

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That would usually be the front rebound kicking in to stop things topping out. Maybe the shock has lost its oil or the internal rubber has gone?

I'd get the dealer to take a look.

If you have a MX stand you could elevate the front end and see if anything hitting as an obvious first look?

Then:

Joints
All tight
Replace shock
When u say check joints what would u be looking for other than obvious detachment or breakage ?

also which joints are I referring to specifically

· Registered
52 Posts
Check headstock for movement or play (rock back and forth with brake on to feel)
Check telelever joints for movement or play (lower pivot and frame pivot)
Check shock bushings top and bottom for play (bottom is a bushing and bolt, top is a pin and rubber bushings)
Check fork legs (there are no springs or bottom out springs but check the top nuts are tight)
You can't check the internals of the shock but if everything else is ok that's your last thing that could have a problem

· Registered
320 Posts
If you put the bike onto the center stand it’s pretty easy to lift the front end by hand. Maybe it will exhibit the same noise then. You can also jam something under the front of the engine so that you can inspect the front end suspension and steering without any weight on the front wheel.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Check headstock for movement or play (rock back and forth with brake on to feel)
Check telelever joints for movement or play (lower pivot and frame pivot)
Check shock bushings top and bottom for play (bottom is a bushing and bolt, top is a pin and rubber bushings)
Check fork legs (there are no springs or bottom out springs but check the top nuts are tight)
You can't check the internals of the shock but if everything else is ok that's your last thing that could have a problem
Yes it’s an r bike

I already checked the headstock for that rocking movement and the handlebars are securely attached to the headstock and there’s no play

The shock itself does rotate or move side to side within the telelever maybe 1/4 of an inch or less is that normal ? I’ve seen some rear shocks do it and some not do it so I’m not sure if it’s normal for the shock to have some rotational play. It actually kinda seems to come from the bushings at top and bottom of the shock (where the pins /bolts go thru)

as for the other recommendations:

1)when u say top of dork legs are u just referring to the triple clamp bolts and the bolt that goes thru the handle bar up top

2)when u say shock bushings are u just referring to the two pins /bolts at top and bottom of the actual shock itself and the rubber spherical bushings that are in the ends of the shock ?

when u say telelever joints I can’t visually identify those. Do u have a picture ?

· Registered
2,392 Posts
Why the opposition to talking with your local BMW shop? The bike is new and under warranty. As I asked before what is your next step if you do find something worn broken or out of adjustment? I'm guessing take it to the dealership to have them repair it under warranty. Why not just have them diagnose it too??

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Why the opposition to talking with your local BMW shop? The bike is new and under warranty. As I asked before what is your next step if you do find something worn broken or out of adjustment? I'm guessing take it to the dealership to have them repair it under warranty. Why not just have them diagnose it too??
Because at this point given how many things all of my local dealerships have either messed up or misdiagnosed I don’t trust their initial diagnosis to be right and I want to get a second opinion before taking it to them.

At this point I trust my own mechanical abilities and certain friends who have shops more than the dealership

· Registered
2,392 Posts
Because at this point given how many things all of my local dealerships have either messed up or misdiagnosed I don’t trust their initial diagnosis to be right and I want to get a second opinion before taking it to them.

At this point I trust my own mechanical abilities and certain friends who have shops more than the dealership
Fair enough. Let us know how BMW takes an outside diagnosis.

Cheers,

P-14

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Fair enough. Let us know how BMW takes an outside diagnosis.

Cheers,

P-14
The outside diagnosis isn’t ever provided to BMW that’s not usually the point.

The point is to see if they properly diagnose the issue rather than bullshitting you straight to your face and claiming nothing is wrong simply because they can’t properly diagnose it and the only way to know that is by already having diagnosed it

· Survivor
992 Posts
Does the sound occur when you put the bike on the center stand? If it does so, then it will be easy to demonstrate to the dealership. You should want the issue diagnosed by a dealership. If you think they are not treating you fairly and competently, then demand to speak to their regional rep, or find a better dealership. You’re being unwise not to take it to a dealer.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts