R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for any experience you (or your riding friends) have with lower-end soft bags. Maybe even sway me to opening my wallet for the good stuff.

I'm thrifty so have generally have ruled out Mosko, Wolfman and Giant Loop. I have the stock GSA rack for my 07 so do plan to spend the $119 on the BMW Altacama exhaust side rack...although for $120 more I could get the Giant Loop PNMT-GSA quick release mounts with locks that look worth the extra money.

My considerations:
-Tusk Pilot: $149, 35l each, come with liners, great reviews.
-Nelson-Rigg Sierra 3050: $170, 27l each, come with liners, all aluminium hardware, appear to hold their shape better.

a few "maybe" ones...
-Mosko Scout: $495, 25L, better warranty, better quality, but more than I want to spend
-Giant Loop MotoTrekk: $270 25l each, dont seem as durable as Mosko...but unsure they are better than Tusk or Nelson-Rigg.

Where my bike sits in the garage requires me to pull the panniers so thinking the GL Quick releases are a need vs. want.

Appreciate any of your advice on soft pannier experience. 25L would be my minimum size, for longer trips I can always pile on extra bags.

·
Registered
616 Posts
@Krons you can buy used? Many deals do come up on used mosko bags on advrider.
Even the BMW Atacame exhaust side rack can be found for as low as $50.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe available outside the UK good reviews on Youtube.

Looks similar to the Vuz bags avail on Amazon. Reviews on Vuz are mixed.

·
Registered
54 Posts
These type of bags work well if packed with items they are a bit ffoppy otherwise. Certainly waterproof and durable.

Good vid here:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Lomo bags look similar to Moose Racing ones I put on my DR650 without a rack. Ok but not great.

Unfortunate Lomo wants $40 to ship from UK which makes Tusk Pilots a better option for just a bit more.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I can never understand why postage costs are so high between the UK and US. It is far cheaper to ship from China into the UK. Hopefully when the present trade talks are finalised and a trade deal is done the problem can be resolved.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Patriotism may get to me. Giant Loop Mototrekks and lockable quick release mounts on sale this month, $500 for the whole bit and made in USA. Tusk Pilots and BMW mounts are cheapest route at $300.

They are a bit smaller than Tusk Pilots but I'll never wear them out. We'll see...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looking for any experience you (or your riding friends) have with lower-end soft bags. Maybe even sway me to opening my wallet for the good stuff.

I'm thrifty so have generally have ruled out Mosko, Wolfman and Giant Loop. I have the stock GSA rack for my 07 so do plan to spend the $119 on the BMW Altacama exhaust side rack...although for $120 more I could get the Giant Loop PNMT-GSA quick release mounts with locks that look worth the extra money.

My considerations:
-Tusk Pilot: $149, 35l each, come with liners, great reviews.
-Nelson-Rigg Sierra 3050: $170, 27l each, come with liners, all aluminium hardware, appear to hold their shape better.

a few "maybe" ones...
-Mosko Scout: $495, 25L, better warranty, better quality, but more than I want to spend
-Giant Loop MotoTrekk: $270 25l each, dont seem as durable as Mosko...but unsure they are better than Tusk or Nelson-Rigg.

Where my bike sits in the garage requires me to pull the panniers so thinking the GL Quick releases are a need vs. want.

Appreciate any of your advice on soft pannier experience. 25L would be my minimum size, for longer trips I can always pile on extra bags.
Hey I have a BMW hard bag top case with bracket it was about $600 new it’s in great condition I have available for sale. Peter 843-513-7667 make an offer Came off 2008 r1200 GS

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey I have a BMW hard bag top case with bracket it was about $600 new it’s in great condition I have available for sale. Peter 843-513-7667 make an offer Came off 2008 r1200 GS
I think you missed the "low cost" part of the post. Panniers I'm looking at are $150.

Backorder date keeps getting pushed back on the Tusk Pilots...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts