R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Portugal!

I'm the proud owner of a R1200GS, 2018 Exclusive model. At the moment I've put on it 16.000 happy kilometres and, unfortunately, today I dropped it, while taking her off the center stand, loaded with bags and on top of leaning sidewalk.

I scraped the plastic cover on the right engine head, right mirror and hand guard. As far as I can see, no damage occurred to the engine, but I'll inspect tomorrow morning. I was gutted, despite not the not all big damage. Nevertheless, I have decided to forgo my decision to not install engine crash bars, but I do want to install the slimmest possible. I don't take my GS off road, but I don't want her to ever sit on its engine again...

I would appreciate it very much if you could chime in with the most "low profile" engine crash bars.

Thank you so much in advance.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yes one tends to be cross at oneself after dropping a bike... everybody reaches that stage sooner or later...
As for affordable, slim but effective crashbars, some of my friends are very happy with the HEED brand for their GSes.. much better than the original ones (I have).
There is no middle man and the factory produces everything from scratch, hence the low prices (they ship worldwide). Apparently the fit is also perfect :

https://heedshop.eu/en_US/p/Crash-bars-for-BMW-R-1200-GS-LC-2013-2018-Basic-black/293

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes one tends to be cross at oneself after dropping a bike... everybody reaches that stage sooner or later...
As for affordable, slim but effective crashbars, some of my friends are very happy with the HEED brand for their GSes.. much better than the original ones (I have).
There is no middle man and the factory produces everything from scratch, hence the low prices (they ship worldwide). Apparently the fit is also perfect :
Thanks for replying so quickly. I see that they are quite affordable, however they are very bulky a protrude a lot. I was looking to get some slimmer and closer to the engine heads option. I've been in very tight squeezes where, if I did have these bars, I wouldn't have fitted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Install set of cyclinder head covers/guards. There are lots of different manufacturers making them in different materials. I installed MachineArts on my GSA.
Had that thought too but moved away from it because, in case of a fall while riding, this will not due much to protect from impact from the cylinder heads, correct? It will just protect from scrapping I assume

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Jorge, sorry you dropped your pride & joy but it happens. Don't beat yourself up about it. Touratech & Wunderlich both offer guards that may suit your purpose:

Both allow servicing the valves without removing the guards. You might consider adding the cylinder head protection Enzo5000 suggested. Personally, I wouldn't worry about the width so much as your handlebars and probably the widest part of your bike.

Mike

·
Registered
165 Posts
I had the Machineart head covers on my last GS but when I bought my 1250 they were not available. In fact, I gave up waiting for them and got some Wunderlich crash bars. Choose stainless steel as they complimented the bike and shouldn't rust when I scratch them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jorge, sorry you dropped your pride & joy but it happens. Don't beat yourself up about it. Touratech & Wunderlich both offer guards that may suit your purpose:

Both allow servicing the valves without removing the guards. You might consider adding the cylinder head protection Enzo5000 suggested. Personally, I wouldn't worry about the width so much as your handlebars and probably the widest part of your bike.

Mike
I had the Machineart head covers on my last GS but when I bought my 1250 they were not available. In fact, I gave up waiting for them and got some Wunderlich crash bars. Choose stainless steel as they complimented the bike and shouldn't rust when I scratch them.
Thank you for your input! I'm still trying to get over it... Now I'm overthinking whether I broke or bent something I'm not looking at.

I've looked at Wunderlich and Touratech as they are the most popular options. I'll end up choosing one of these, unless I can find something a bit more low profile, but, so far, nothing...

If anyone knows of some other option, please let me know. Thank you!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Wunderlich and Touratech crash bars apparently don't fit very well and require som brute force to have them installed, according to my BMW dealer (who does sell them as well).

The original BMW crash bars have a fairly good fit, but aren't particularly strong and are very expensive.

I once dropped my R1200GS LC very slowly at standstill, but the left crashbar was fubar... I wonder to which degree the valve cover would also have been saved in case I had been riding at some speed...

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Wunderlich and Touratech crash bars apparently don't fit very well and require som brute force to have them installed, according to my BMW dealer (who does sell them as well).

The original BMW crash bars have a fairly good fit, but aren't particularly strong and are very expensive.

I once dropped my R1200GS LC very slowly at standstill, but the left crashbar was fubar... I wonder to which degree the cylinder head would also have been saved in case I had been riding at some speed...
I've not installed Wunderlich guards so I cannot speak to their fitment. I installed these Touratech guards, upper and lower, and the fit/finish was very good. They weren't difficult at all.

The stock BMW bars are expensive. I fell at 40mph and the bike skidded along the road for a bit over twenty feet before traveling down a dirt bank about six or seven feet. The left side engine guard did it's job and protected the cylinder head but bent so the rubber bumper was just touching the valve cover. I replaced the handlebars, the lower guard and the left side of the beak for around $800. My Aerostitch Darien coat and pants were trashed along with a Schuberth helmet and one Sidi boot. It cost a lot more to replace the apparel.

Mike

·
'05 R 1200 Gs
538 Posts
Thanks for replying so quickly. I see that they are quite affordable, however they are very bulky a protrude a lot. I was looking to get some slimmer and closer to the engine heads option. I've been in very tight squeezes where, if I did have these bars, I wouldn't have fitted.
Scratches my head. Really?

·
Registered
275 Posts
I appears to me that you can't get much "low profile" in there due to the fact that you have to have some clearance between the cylinder heads and the bguards and the guards have to be a certain minimum diameter in order to afford any meaningful protection. I looked at the factory guards that came on my '19 1250 GSA today and don't see that there is any space to be saved. As mentioned above, the handle bars are wider than the engine guards.

I take the position that anything I don't have to look at while riding doesn't bother me. Your bike, your choice.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Understand beating yourself up for the fall. Other then scratches your bike is probably fine. I hit a railroad tie hid in tall grass going 15-20 mph and also went into a ditch filled with rocks during an AFIB episode and the bike survived both with just a few scrapes. These GSs and GSAs are tougher then you realize. They will get scratched up if you off road. Pick it up and carry on.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Any crashbar is better than nothing. There is no insurance against drop the bike. Put and dont think so about profile. Best thing is that you dont have oil leak or cracks in the cylinder head.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I ride some 20.000 KMS per year and I cannot remember but a very few times when my crashbars caused a minor problem while manoeuvring in an extremely tight spot.
TS requires an impossible feature: crashbars that are so minimalistic that they cannot function properly, as already pointed out.
That being said, I absolutely detest having my bike scratched... I don’t even want my crashbars getting damaged... neurotic ? Me ?:wink2:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've not installed Wunderlich guards so I cannot speak to their fitment. I installed these Touratech guards, upper and lower, and the fit/finish was very good. They weren't difficult at all.

The stock BMW bars are expensive. I fell at 40mph and the bike skidded along the road for a bit over twenty feet before traveling down a dirt bank about six or seven feet. The left side engine guard did it's job and protected the cylinder head but bent so the rubber bumper was just touching the valve cover. I replaced the handlebars, the lower guard and the left side of the beak for around $800. My Aerostitch Darien coat and pants were trashed along with a Schuberth helmet and one Sidi boot. It cost a lot more to replace the apparel.

Mike
Thank you for your feedback and beautiful 1250 you got there. Hope you came out of that crash with your body alright. Drove one, the rally version, before buying mine and loved it. In the future I might upgrade to a rally colour scheme if the chance appears. But I'm still trying to find a good set of affordable gold spoked wheels.

Are the engine crash bars an easy DIY job?

Scratches my head. Really?
Traffic situations, where I got past that situation and just had in my mind "good thing I don't have bars there". They do protrude a bit

Understand beating yourself up for the fall. Other then scratches your bike is probably fine. I hit a railroad tie hid in tall grass going 15-20 mph and also went into a ditch filled with rocks during an AFIB episode and the bike survived both with just a few scrapes. These GSs and GSAs are tougher then you realize. They will get scratched up if you off road. Pick it up and carry on.
That's what I also think now. The bike weighs 250kg roughly and it came out with just a few scratches, which I'll post now. Incredible...

Any crashbar is better than nothing. There is no insurance against drop the bike. Put and dont think so about profile. Best thing is that you dont have oil leak or cracks in the cylinder head.
No oil leaks or cracks. Only think I can see is that the brake lever is ever so slightly tilted down, but I'll ask them to pull it back up during its service.

I'll also take this opportunity to ask two mechanical questions:

- Does your front brake lever, sometimes, feel like there isn't enough resistance? Well I pull it hard it almost touches the throttle. And I can definitely feel it a bit stiffer (more pleasing and secure feeling) other times.

-I'll be taking it for the 20.000KM service soon. One BMW dealer is quoting me 460€ with valve clearance check and another BMW is quoting me 315€ without it, however, they claim it is not needed at this milage.

Can you give me some feedback? Thank you (again)!

I ride some 20.000 KMS per year and I cannot remember but a very few times when my crashbars caused a minor problem while manoeuvring in an extremely tight spot.
TS requires an impossible feature: crashbars that are so minimalistic that they cannot function properly, as already pointed out.
That being said, I absolutely detest having my bike scratched... I don’t even want my crashbars getting damaged... neurotic ? Me ?:wink2:
Happened to me too, but only very few times... I'm also neurotic about scratches, but they are gonna happen regardless... Oh well

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Thank you for your feedback and beautiful 1250 you got there. Hope you came out of that crash with your body alright. Drove one, the rally version, before buying mine and loved it. In the future I might upgrade to a rally colour scheme if the chance appears. But I'm still trying to find a good set of affordable gold spoked wheels.

Are the engine crash bars an easy DIY job?
Jorge, I wish that was my 1250! It belongs to a good friend and he was on a business trip when his Touratech guards and Cleawater Darlas arrived so I did the installation for him. The Touratech guards aren't a difficult installation at all. They give you a list of tools you need in the instructions and how to do it.

As for my mishap, the only damage to me was a broken thumbnail. When I complained about it at lunch, one of my friends said, "I was going to buy your lunch but not now!"

Front brake: You probably need to bleed them. There are lots of YouTube videos on how to do this. Just takes a few minutes.

Mike

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Jorge, I wish that was my 1250! It belongs to a good friend and he was on a business trip when his Touratech guards and Cleawater Darlas arrived so I did the installation for him. The Touratech guards aren't a difficult installation at all. They give you a list of tools you need in the instructions and how to do it.

As for my mishap, the only damage to me was a broken thumbnail. When I complained about it at lunch, one of my friends said, "I was going to buy your lunch but not now!"

Front brake: You probably need to bleed them. There are lots of YouTube videos on how to do this. Just takes a few minutes.

Mike
:grin2: complaining about your broken thumb screwed you out of lunch. Happens to the best of us.

But the brakes have been like this since new. Find it a bit strange that it isn't always like this, only sometimes.

If I do end up buying those, might do the instal myself. Do I need a torque wrench?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts