R1200GS Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Wunderlich and Touratech crash bars apparently don't fit very well and require som brute force to have them installed, according to my BMW dealer (who does sell them as well).

The original BMW crash bars have a fairly good fit, but aren't particularly strong and are very expensive.

I once dropped my R1200GS LC very slowly at standstill, but the left crashbar was fubar... I wonder to which degree the cylinder head would also have been saved in case I had been riding at some speed...
I added crash bar reinforcement bars. They were crazy expensive from AltRIder, but better than cracking a valve cover and being stranded in the boonies. I'm sure there are some knock offs out there on the eBay.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
:grin2: complaining about your broken thumb screwed you out of lunch. Happens to the best of us.

But the brakes have been like this since new. Find it a bit strange that it isn't always like this, only sometimes.

If I do end up buying those, might do the instal myself. Do I need a torque wrench?
Jorge, I'd get a torque wrench. I use one for most fasteners except for the screws securing plastic body panels. Don't forget a little blue Loctite when you tighten the bolts. Let us know what you decide to do.

Mike

·
Registered
619 Posts
I added crash bar reinforcement bars. They were crazy expensive from AltRIder, but better than cracking a valve cover and being stranded in the boonies. I'm sure there are some knock offs out there on the eBay.
Enzo is that a sargent seat? Low height or normal?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Full set of torque wrenches is requirement. I have three of this: up to 25, up to 100 and up to 200Nm, from louis.eu. I have only two or three bolts above this values in the bike, but in this case probably will be in a service.
Valve clearance I make in every oil change. Use the moment when there is no oil in the engine or very small residues after drain it.
If you buy service manual for your all is very well described - how to make it, tools and sequence of actions.
All this I say "winter fun" and preparation for new riding season :wink2:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Wunderlich and Touratech crash bars apparently don't fit very well and require som brute force to have them installed, according to my BMW dealer (who does sell them as well).

The original BMW crash bars have a fairly good fit, but aren't particularly strong and are very expensive.

I once dropped my R1200GS LC very slowly at standstill, but the left crashbar was fubar... I wonder to which degree the valve cover would also have been saved in case I had been riding at some speed...
Jorge,
I was able to ride in Portugal last May w/ Blue Strada Tours. Loved it! Fabulous country, riding and people.

I'm using Touratec motor guards. They fit PERFECTLY with no brute force required for installation and are very strong.

Yup, I dropped mine, too. Dinged the paint and that's it. Sandpaper and Krylon will fix that in short order.

Stuff happens.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hi everyone,

Coming back to you on this subject, since I haven't purchased the bars yet, I found on a youtube video these bars from Puig. They appear to be quite good and they are very well priced.

Anyone has any input about these?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Hey everyone! I've bought and installed the engine bars. They seem very good and I'm happy with my purchase. Would recommend.

I also did a DIY video...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Bom dia 20-100!

Cool, you know how to say good morning in Portuguese.

You’re correct. I did not mention blue loctite (because I could find any during the pandemic) nor did I use a torque wrench because I don’t own one and the PUIG manual doesn’t mention you should use one. Furthermore, I don’t have the torque values for the two OEM bolts that were reused.

If you have any info about the figures, please let me know!

Thank you and thanks for watching. More videos coming soon, but with an M3 this time.

·
Premium Member
1,259 Posts
Bom dia 20-100!

Cool, you know how to say good morning in Portuguese.

You’re correct. I did not mention blue loctite (because I could find any during the pandemic) nor did I use a torque wrench because I don’t own one and the PUIG manual doesn’t mention you should use one. Furthermore, I don’t have the torque values for the two OEM bolts that were reused.

If you have any info about the figures, please let me know!

Thank you and thanks for watching. More videos coming soon, but with an M3 this time.
Here are torque values fore wetheads. You'll definitely want to acquire a good torque wrench when you can.

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
:grin2: complaining about your broken thumb screwed you out of lunch. Happens to the best of us.

But the brakes have been like this since new. Find it a bit strange that it isn't always like this, only sometimes.

If I do end up buying those, might do the instal myself. Do I need a torque wrench?
I'm installing a set of lower crash bars by Altrider, partly because they have the largest diameter of all the bars I researched. You get what you pay for........

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
122 Posts
Olá senhor Pereira, my next neighbor is from Brasil and one of my colleague is from Portugal so I'm learning with them. My native language if french, that makes it easier to learn other latin-based language.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts