R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning. I purchased a new 2016 GS1200 with the lowered suspension and have an extremely hard time getting it up onto the center stand. I have owned many full sized bikes before but never had this much trouble. I know the technique and I’m no small guy at 200+ Lbs. Looking for other parts online and I saw that there is a lowered center stand and It got me wondering whether perhaps I have the wrong one on my bike. Anyone with the lowered suspension model (or for that matter the regular one) that can send me a dimension of the height of their center stand? Greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Good morning. I purchased a new 2016 GS1200 with the lowered suspension and have an extremely hard time getting it up onto the center stand. I have owned many full sized bikes before but never had this much trouble. I know the technique and I’m no small guy at 200+ Lbs. Looking for other parts online and I saw that there is a lowered center stand and It got me wondering whether perhaps I have the wrong one on my bike. Anyone with the lowered suspension model (or for that matter the regular one) that can send me a dimension of the height of their center stand? Greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Don't know about the correct stand but my gs is by far the hardest one I've ever had getting on the center stand.

My stand is 13.5" from pin to base of foot. Regular suspension.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Get some webbing or thick soft rope and attach to the subframe to form a loop handle and use that to lift...it helps to wear your gloves. I have something like this. It stows very easily and I always travel with it.
https://www.amazon.com/Cartman-Soft-Tie-Down-Straps-3600lbs/dp/B01DF3N3Q6/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=loop+webbing&qid=1570583160&sr=8-6

Makes a huge difference for me.

Trying to lift from "handles" on the subframe is a sure way to hurt your hand.
Yes it is hard to get onto the center stand

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for the help. Hearing that the standard suspension center stand is a full inch taller made me realize I do indeed have the correct center stand on my bike. Went to the dealer and put a lowered Gs on the center stand with no problem. Of course it had no side cases. I’m thinking that the cases on my bike and being fully loaded (which it usually is when I’m out and about) could be the culprit. Next test; take the side (and top) cases off and try it then. And the strap idea is a great one. Thanks. Looks like I’ll just have to keep the short section of 1x6” board in the top case and keep using that. Or work out more😉.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Try putting your suspension mode setting to (2) helmets and baggage prior to getting off the bike..then try using the center stand..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts