R1200GS Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
I'm 5'6" and have a 2017 GSA Lowered. I'm not sure what my inseam is but 28-30 I assume. i have yet to have any issues I mean I am on my tippy toes and have been offload a few times mostly hard dirt trails some loose gravel and so far no issues. I have been two up also with my girl and do notice the difference when stopped and i have the Helmet plus luggage setting in place since I think the two helmets are way too much i'm only 150lbs and the little lady is less so helmet plus luggage is just fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My inside length is 28inches. Try the Airhawk GS lowered seat on a lowered suspension R1200GS. Yes, expensive, but serves the purpose and works for me. Very comfortable if inflated correctly. And you sit lower than on any of the other makes low seats.
Whilst I generally ride around with the ESA in auto, a neat trick in towns/cities or on short rides is to put the ESA into Low. (One button press) Makes a huge difference in being able to flat foot in traffic, at lights etc.
I even lowered the pegs to compensate. (For leg angle) I've no problems with scraping.

There seems to be much discussion regarding the low suspension versus the standard. There shouldn't be unless one is doing some serious off-road (enduro) work. Ordinarily, there's no disadvantage.

So basically, if one's leg length is short, consider the lowered suspension GS. (Or GSA if that's your preferred bike) If you have decent leg length then go for the standard. If not sure, test them both.

Whatever, just speak to people who ride them !

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm short in the inseam, 31". I ride 50/50 and the off-road 50% can be some challenging ADV bike terrain. I'm not talking where only true dual sports go, but challenging on a big bike, steep rocky, rutted climbs and descents, and sand. Having owned a Super Tenere, Triumph XCx, and an Africa Twin has given me the opportunity to try different bikes on the same trails (COBDR for example) and see how each performed. Medical issues have forced me to ride less challenging terrain mostly because of the potential remoteness of some of these areas, but its not going to stop me from going to some of the same places on my GSA as I did with my other bikes.

I opted for the GSA Low. When you ride uneven, steep, rocky terrain, its nice to be able to put your foot on the ground firmly. My AT with the seat in the low position, and the low seat (which was still taller than the GSA Low), I saved myself multiple times from tipping over where both my taller ST and XCx had me picking it up. My ST was low for an ADV bike, I bought a good skid plate, an Altrider, and that really helped when I would ride those "rock gardens". Sure I'd hear it bouncing off the plate, but no damage to the bike itself.

So for me, a GSA Low was the right choice. I doubt I'll give up much with the Low model vs. the Standard...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just bought a low 2016 R1200GSA. I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam. I've been riding a RT with no problem but I liked the low GS because I could touch with both feet flat footed which I thought would be better then the 1" of ground clearance you lose when off road.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My inside length is 28inches. Try the Airhawk GS lowered seat on a lowered suspension R1200GS. Yes, expensive, but serves the purpose and works for me. Very comfortable if inflated correctly. And you sit lower than on any of the other makes low seats.
Whilst I generally ride around with the ESA in auto, a neat trick in towns/cities or on short rides is to put the ESA into Low. (One button press) Makes a huge difference in being able to flat foot in traffic, at lights etc.
I even lowered the pegs to compensate. (For leg angle) I've no problems with scraping.

There seems to be much discussion regarding the low suspension versus the standard. There shouldn't be unless one is doing some serious off-road (enduro) work. Ordinarily, there's no disadvantage.

So basically, if one's leg length is short, consider the lowered suspension GS. (Or GSA if that's your preferred bike) If you have decent leg length then go for the standard. If not sure, test them both.

Whatever, just speak to people who ride them !

Can you tell me more about the Airhawk seat? I know about the pads they make but would like to know more about the seat itself. The reviews that I find are all for the pads. How long have you had it?. Does it pump up like the pads?

Thanks

·
Registered
127 Posts
I recently rode the GS tour edition.

I am 5 10 with a 32 inch inseam, and the standard GS has always been fine. There was something weird about the bike I rode...it felt low.

Turns out that the tour edition in Australia has a "tour" seat, which is sculpted out about 20mm....

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am 5'11" with a 30" inseam and I chose the lowered version, it just felt better to me. I've had it off road without any issues, but it will only see fire roads etc. I will get a smaller bike for the tough stuff.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This is all good info here! Thanks from a new guy with a short 28" inseam. :) I also will be 50/50 on the low suspension. Going to try out the new Karoo street tires on the new bike.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
TALL.. They are TALL! I am 6'3" and my bike came with the LOW SEAT option (purchased used with 12K miles on the odo). I went with the Sargent adjustable seat that I like very much. Some claim the ride is OFF on the LOWERED GS's. Well I can testify that the ride sucks on the tall unmodified model also! I don't know what machines you have previously ridden, but the R1200GS is a streetable 1200cc dirtbike..
I'd put it in the class of a 1200cc Super-moto race bike (fun). It is at home on Forest Service maintained dirt roads, other than that you are just trying to prove something to yourself. Other bikes are better at true single track off-roading!

My Over-all review of my 2005 R1200GS (like new).. The ride is harsh. The front end comes straight thru to the bars, very little softening of the SMALL road seams and small impacts. While off road and standing it's a great 1200cc dirt bike. My front spring preload is backed off and still the shock dampening is not good. A very RAW street bike experience.. as popular as they are for street use, I expected more.

If you want one.. and you need it lower.. get it that way and don't worry about effecting the ride quality because it is poor from the start.
Damn I could not disagree more. I ride almost all on the street 5'5" and 28 inseam. My bike is the regular GS with a lowered Sargent seat. I have no issues with the height and the ride is amazing. The trellis suspension gives very little dive under hard braking and honestly the soft setting for me is more comfortable than my previous Ducati Monsters.

·
Registered
177 Posts
What BMW says:

Spring travel, front 7.5 in (190 mm)
with lowered suspensionOE 6.3 in (160 mm)

Spring travel, at rear wheel 7.9 in (200 mm)
with lowered suspensionOE 6.7 in (170 mm)

About an 30mm. The seat makes up the rest.

Since I'm not going do really technical riding I think I'm good.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Now that Summer is here and I've been able to take my GSA Low on some of my favorite "trails" and offroad passes here in Colorado, I'm happy to report the GSA Low is doing well. I've heard some rocks bounce off the skid plate, but nothing that I thought "oh crap" and nothing that's had me concerned at all.

When I compare this to where I rode my Super Tenere with modified suspension, the ST still had gouges and dents in the skid plate and you'd hear rocks bouncing off it all the time. Now, its nowhere like the Africa Twin or XCx where those, I rarely heard any rock hits.

So overall, I'm really pleased that I went with the GSA low.

·
Road Warrior
14 Posts
I'm 5'7" (if I stretch and tip my head forward to push measuring bar up:) with a 28" inseam. I've ridden tall dirt bikes/enduro bikes all my life and logged many miles on a 2016 standard height GSA. I recently bought a 2017 GSA Low and it was the best decision I ever made when choosing a bike. I ride it hard both off and on road and the only draw back Ive found is at steep lean angles my boots hit the ground and occasionally get pulled off the peg. I've corrected this by setting the preload to two up mode to gain some cornering clearance when pushing it in the twisties.
Off road, I can't tell you how many times the lower ride height has saved me from picking up the bike in rock garden hill climes and stream crossings. I run the Altrider skid plate to protect the case but, honestly I can't recall a hard hit that wouldn't have also bottomed out the full height version. Frankly, if you hit hard enough to do any real damage, you need to examine how you're picking your lines.
The most important thing when riding is to feel confident and in control on your machine. Most issues I've seen happened when someone was riding scared and hesitated rather than holding their line and keeping their head up. If you have concerns about a tall bike, that will affect your riding whether or not you have the ability to manage it. If you get the bike that feels right you'll have a far better riding experience. Forget all the other nonsense. We're talking about approximately 1". Just get out their and enjoy the ride!
Just my .02

(Of course you also get the yahoos who ride over their heads but, they're doomed regardless of bike choice.)

·
Registered
608 Posts
Im 6.0 plus and with the bmw low seat and the wunderlich adaptors BUT on auto settings for the ESA my feet touch but not fully flat
With ESA to Minimum fully flatfooted.
Would have liked to be maybe 0.5 inches lower

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm 6'2" with a 32" inseam. I have the non short with the seat in the high position. With my Frankenstein boots on I am almost flat footed. This thing is very tall.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I am 5'5" with a 28 inch inseam. Recently I ran into a bunch of GS riders that asked me why I did not go for the lowered suspension. I explained that I had no problem sliding around the seat to put right and left foot down at stops so I did not feel I needed the low version. Also, I did not want to compromise the legendary ride of the GS by modifying it. Was I right? I just watched a video of a comparison between the GS ADV Lowered Vs Standard and they basically said that there was no compromise unless you ride hard off road. Anyway I purchased the low version of the seargent seat and love the bike. any thought guys? Did I make s mistake not buying the low version?
I can't say you made a mistake. I did two hour and a half demo rides on the GS and, at 5' 8", was constantly having to lean the bike over at red lights. I bought a factory lowered unit. Depending on the layout of the road I can still be up on the balls of my feet, or completely flat footed. IMO Lowered was the better option b/c it gave me lots of options for seat height between the low and regular (low-low, low-high, reg-low, reg-high) seats. With the stock suspension my only options were "probably too tall" and "definitely too tall".

·
Professional Nomad
33 Posts
5'7" with a 29" inseam.

Daily rider is a RS1200 standard with 33.5" seat height
Ride dirtbikes with 36-38" seat
Had a R1200GS Adventure with 35" seat for a summer
Just test-rode a KTM 1290 Super Adventure R with a 35.1" seat

If you learn to ride a motorcycle with a tall seat without having to lower it, you'll feel comfortable and confident riding *any* motorcycle in the future. If you're always staying in your comfort zone of having to have both feet flat-footed, you limit yourself in what you can ride when the opportunity presents itself.

It's all just technique and practice.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm 5'7 and have ridden my FJ-09 for about a year when I turned my fancy into getting a GS. After drooling over the GS at my local dealer and sitting and trying out the standard height versions, I never felt sure footed even with the low seat installed. Mind you, the FJ still had a taller seat height than a standard height GS with the low seat option. I was finally able to sit on a factory lowered GS and I was instantly a fan. I finally got a chance to buy a leftover 2018 GS Exclusive with the factory low suspension option and I couldn't be happier. I feel that I can now confidently stop in weird inclines and traverse steep angles with the bike wherein I wouldn't even think about that with a standard height GS. I also feel that I can confidently have my wife ride with me on the GS with the lowered bike and just have the ESA adjust the ride height to even things out. All in all, very, very happy with my purchase and am proud to say that I'm now a GS rider. Cheers!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am 5'5" with a 28 inch inseam and I have about 3500 miles on a GS standard suspension. Honestly no issues at all yet. Also, love the ability to set the suspension on the fly. I do have to look into what you said about having to stop for it to take effect. I did not know that.
I have to say that height challenged riders riding tall bikes and those having to modify the suspension to make it lower is all a matter of riding experience, about 90% of the shorter riders lowering their bikes fall into the novice as height has nothing to do with a bike being tall. I too am short but ride dirt bikes with a seat height of 38" and adventure bikes with a seat height of 36", with no issues.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts