R1200GS Forum banner

Lowering Exhaust Pipe

18K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  Bullwinkle 
#1 ·
I am considering aluminum panniers. Most manufactures have a low exhaust pipe option. Is there an advantage/disadvantage to lowering the pipe?

Thanks

#3 ·
One of the first things I did when I got my 12GS was to lower the muffler so I could get full-size bags on. Never had a problem, although I never did really deep water crossings.

Even with the pipe lowered, the water would have to be very deep, and I think water ingress while the engine is running is very unlikely anyway.

$ .02 :D

#6 · (Edited)
A buddy just e-mailed to inquire where I'd gotten the muffler lowering kits for my for my GSA. Seems he didn't lower his silencer when he mounted his new panniers and, on a trip, it got so hot inside the left box that the cork blew out of his single malt scotch.:D

Mike
apology for making this thread up. oh! :p had a same happened to me as yours mate! a man ask me for where should i got the muffler lowering kit.but the funny thing is i didn't even post any thread or something.:cool: are you answered to his mail? just confused. :rolleyes:

#8 ·
I've heard of cases where water pressure has caused an idling engine to stall, and the general advice is to make sure you keep the revs up a little.

I believe another potential downside of lowering the exhaust is that the reduced clearance that might affect off-road capability.

#15 ·
I was partial not to lower the muffer, but I now I am having second thoughts. I wasn't so much concerned about water but about the possibility of the muffer getting hit by rocks, but after looking at some pictures I have realized that is not getting that much lower, and I think the practical benefits far outweight the "aesthetic" issue.

I don't want to have a left saddle sticking out, nor I want to compromise capacity. Planning to go down to Italy and Spain for the summer, overheating of the bag will definitely be an added issue.

If I can find a pretty bag and a lowering kit I will go for it for sure, so unless there is a major technical issue I've overseen, this is where my money is going.

#16 ·
If I can find a pretty bag and a lowering kit I will go for it for sure, so unless there is a major technical issue I've overseen, this is where my money is going.
Mark,

There are plenty of fine panniers out there. I chose the Jesse Odyssey II and they recommended, of course, their lowering kit. I liked the one-stop shopping and have been quite satisfied.

Hope this helps.

Mike

#17 ·
IMO your lowered pipe looks nice. I would do it to mine if I were buying new luggage.
There has been a styling trend to point mufflers up at a steep angle. I think the Euro brands started this, they even do this on their street bikes now. I remember talking with David Robb at the BMW rally in Morgantown NC. Looking at a K1200RS I asked "why is the muffler positioned to point up, which dictates using a small left luggage bag?" He said it "gives the motorcycle a more sporting design which is important to european buyers."

#19 · (Edited)
Anyone done a lowered pipe and two right-hand Vario cases?

Has anyone done the lowered pipe and used a second right-hand Vario case for the left side?

I'm impressed with the look of the lowered pipe. I like Bullwinkle's idea that the modification can be put back to stock if necessary. That could be done for rides where water crossings might be a concern. I'm using SKB 44 liter cases (think Pelican) on a Givi rack for backcountry camping. Although the left side sticks out, I've got a ton of space, they're waterproof, and only cost $100 to replace if they get damaged in a spill but also give good protection for the bike in that scenario.

I prefer the Varios for around town or road-only trip, especially because of they're expandability. However, like most, I find the chopped left Vario case to be seriously space compromised. Considering I already have to spend about 30 minutes swapping the racks around to prepare for a back country trip, another 30 minutes to swap the muffler back to stock configuration would not be that a big deal.

#22 ·
It's been a long time since I did my pipe, and the 1200 I did it on is long gone (although it's still in use with the lowered pipe), but It was pretty much a hand done job. There may (and should be, IMO) some kits that make it easier now.

The main piece of equipment was the adapter, which is 2 pieces of tubing welded together at approx a 15 degree angle. One piece has the inner diameter (ID) of the outer diameter (OD) of the collector, and the other piece has the OD of the ID of the muffler assembly. That sounds confusing, but it's really very simple when you think about it. This has the effect of lowering the muffler, but moves the whole assembly back about 1.5 inches. I was able to source locally a new stainless clamp which was long enough to cover the whole adapter.

Other mods that were necessary (because mine was a 2005 model), was an extended muffler hanger (in my case a dogleg hanger for use with the system cases), and a new centerstand stop that attached to the muffler, along with the relocation of the centerstand rubber bumper bracket. This last wouldn't be necessary on the newer models with the centerstand stopped on the frame on the right side.

So, in my case, a bit of fudging around. The system cases were a whole other issue, and I'll not go into that further except to say it was considerable effort and probably beyond the scope of the average DIYer. I have no idea how much trouble it would be with the Vario cases.

And in response to MacGyver, it wasn't really a quickly changeable set-up, although that depends on exactly how it's executed.

Anyway, I (and the present owner, as well), are still happy with the results and would do it again in the same circumstances. I would love to lower the pipe on my F650GS twin, but it's a completely different set of challenges, and it's already so wide in the rear end that it wouldn't buy me as much of an advantage. Good luck regardless. :)

JP

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.