R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put the Matt Gecko LED Headlight unit on my 2009 R1200GSA. It has no provisions for aiming.
It mounts on a peg on the bottom center and then has the two Torx bolts on the side. My original unit has a couple adjustment knobs.
It seems like the low beam is aimed too low, and draws my eyes to not really be looking far enough forward. With the high beam on, it’s fine.
I tried to contact Gecko about this, but I’m not getting a response.
if I can’t fix this, it’s gotta go.
Do any of you know if there is a way to adjust this? If not, will any OEM LED units from later models fit? Are there any other quality aftermarket units that will work that are adjustable?

I’m 56 years old, and my night vision is not what it used to be. I really need the best possible solution to see.

· Administrator
2,092 Posts
I have a LED replacement similar to the Matt Gecko (Kemimoto). On mine I just tighten the side screws to hold the aim. If it gets off just push up or down to where I need it. Generally so much brighter aim is not as critical as halogens.

· Registered
59 Posts
I mounted a LED headlight from Matt on my 09 R1200GS. I had to hold it in the highest position while tightening it up. It seemed pretty good to me but I had no more "up" adjustment. If I wanted anymore up adjustment I'd take a look at what was restricting its upward adjustment and make a small modification to allow more adjustment.

· Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I could not find a phone number. I did try Google and went thru their website. I couldn’t even find a phone order number.
I have emailed them and used their contact form. No dice.

· Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I mounted a LED headlight from Matt on my 09 R1200GS. I had to hold it in the highest position while tightening it up. It seemed pretty good to me but I had no more "up" adjustment. If I wanted anymore up adjustment I'd take a look at what was restricting its upward adjustment and make a small modification to allow more adjustment.
The bike has a fixed peg the headlight unit sits on the bottom rear of the headlight unit.

· Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The bike has a fixed peg the headlight unit sits on the bottom rear of the headlight unit.

· Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I received my response from Matt Gecko ( I knew one I posted they weren’t responding, they would respond!)
The instructions they sent me say “To make the headlight adjustable, please cut out the mount located on the bottom.”
That seems like a one way street, and I would rather not “cut something out” of my bike. I could handle removing something that I can put back, but cutting?…no.

· Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I received my response from Matt Gecko ( I knew one I posted they weren’t responding, they would respond!)
The instructions they sent me say “To make the headlight adjustable, please cut out the mount located on the bottom.”
That seems like a one way street, and I would rather not “cut something out” of my bike. I could handle removing something that I can put back, but cutting?…no.
I got my response to my response...they said the piece to cut out is on the headlight unit itself..so i am OK with that. I will follow up with my final result after I chop that sucker off.

· Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
These are the instructions included. Either I missed the very last sentence, or it wasn't on the copy included. I suspect it was the former. I will post pics of the actual unit and the chopped off bit when I re-do the install.
Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper

Font Audio equipment Output device Automotive tire Helmet

· Registered
59 Posts
Hmmm... But they don't show you what you're supposed to cut out? The photos clearly indicate what they want you to do on each of those steps but then they print that last sentence but don't show what or where you're supposed to cut! That sucks....
Please let us know what you find out.

· Registered
R1250GS 2021
597 Posts
"... cut the mount located at the bottom" ???????
From my point of view, the headlight will then be supported only on two side mounts. It will be like on old school bikes, like on some bikes I owned 20-30 years ago. But those mounts were made of steel and strong, supporting the weight of the headlight very well and back then, you'd loosen the bolts a bit and adjust the beem. So, as I could understand, this headlight would be adjusted the same way. I just don't see how the plastics and those tiny screws would support the weight of the headlight. I may be wrong, I don't know...

· Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
"... cut the mount located at the bottom" ???????
From my point of view, the headlight will then be supported only on two side mounts. It will be like on old school bikes, like on some bikes I owned 20-30 years ago. But those mounts were made of steel and strong, supporting the weight of the headlight very well and back then, you'd loosen the bolts a bit and adjust the beem. So, as I could understand, this headlight would be adjusted the same way. I just don't see how the plastics and those tiny screws would support the weight of the headlight. I may be wrong, I don't know...
I think I can see how it will still work. The side bolts go into into those brass colored connectors pictured above in the second picture so they don't screw directly into the plastic. Then you use the washers to make it a tight fit with friction, then you can clamp down on the bolts and it should stay..I hope. If it creeps from the vibration, I could try some thin rubber to stop the movement. I just I will try..at least I don't have to chop a hunk off the bike. I'm getting pretty good at R&R on that thing, and can do it without removing the windscreen now..Thank goodness.

Reactions: ricky racer

· Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So, it worked. Here is the Gecko unit as as shipped. You are looking at the bottom, and that tab with the hole is the "mount" one that sits on the peg.
Hood Bumper Rim Carbon Composite material

And this is after my precision Dremel handiwork:
Automotive tire Bumper Gas Automotive exterior Machine

The light does now have a decent range of motion, but as astutely mentioned above by bosnjo, the two bolts on the side now having the task of secure and "hold in place", may not be up for the task. I can totally see there being some creep. I plan to either add an additional "pin" bolt to the side, or a couple rubber mounts on the bottom to arrest any movement it may have. If all else fails, a whole bunch of Duct tape should do the trick...lol.

I am about 90% happy with this. I really would like a third mounting point. I also wish it had the ability to adjust with having to butcher it. Otherwise this unit is great and the ability to now aim it is a lifesaver (maybe literally!)

Thank you all for your advice. If there are any developments, or if anything I said or did needs clarification, let me know and will update this post.

Reactions: ricky racer
1 - 20 of 25 Posts