R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2013 R1200GS Rallye
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm a newly minted, first time GS owner, and am looking for a good mechanic in LA. I'm not entirely opposed to going to the dealer (I'm 10 minutes away from BMW Motorcycles of Burbank), but thought some of you might have a hidden gem of a shop to recommend.

Much appreciated,

-Stas

·
Registered
2017 White GSA
1,245 Posts
Welcome @stas !
What year is your bike?
Is it new and still under warranty?
Can you perform any maintenance?
-I like to change my fluids and filters before any scheduled maintenance at my local dealer to save a few dollars. With a local BMW dealer so close to you, that would be my recommendation.

·
Registered
2013 R1200GS Rallye
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, @Ryno23!

The bike is a 2013 Rallye edition – the last of the oil/air models. I have never performed any maintenance (other than maybe chain lubing) on my previous bikes, but it's definitely the plan with this one, given how the GS feels like the bike I will keep for many years, and probably just upgrade to a newer model after that.

Doing basic maintenance to cut down on cost is a great plan going forward. I was hoping to take a bike to a good mechanic to have it looked over and make sure that I didn't inherit a few problems since I didn't had a chance to give it a full pre-purchase inspection.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2016 R1200GS Triple Black
17 Posts
Hi Stas,
Congrats on the new ride you will love it I am sure. Now it's been over a decade so not super sure anymore but Irv Seaver in Orange County was the most reliable back in the day for the CHP bikes. Used to trust them to tear down the bike and then jump on it with the possibility of a 100+mph pursuit without shaking it down so that says something. Granted you're paying dealer prices. I have heard better things about Long Beach BMW these days so another possible there. I was never up in the north part of the city so no info on Burbank sorry. Totally agree with Ryno on doing most of the maintenance ourselves but sometimes it's just more than we can tackle so always nice to have a trusted shop. I will be back in Long Beach by the end of the month and will likely be buying a GS-911 for resetting service reminders and checking codes. Hit me up if you ever need to check yours. I usually can be bought off with coffee.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks, @Ryno23!

The bike is a 2013 Rallye edition – the last of the oil/air models. I have never performed any maintenance (other than maybe chain lubing) on my previous bikes, but it's definitely the plan with this one, given how the GS feels like the bike I will keep for many years, and probably just upgrade to a newer model after that.

Doing basic maintenance to cut down on cost is a great plan going forward. I was hoping to take a bike to a good mechanic to have it looked over and make sure that I didn't inherit a few problems since I didn't had a chance to give it a full pre-purchase inspection.

Thanks again!
Hi Stas,
When I lived in SoCal four years ago I always got great service and advice from BMW Motorcycles of Ventura County in Thousand Oaks. At that time at least two of their mechanics had a Master Mechanic rating; they are good people and know what they are talking about. You might want to talk with Cam Marshall there, he's not in the service department, but probably has forgotten more about the R1200GSA then I will ever know.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts