R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yea..I know, what a subject! I live on an Island with very poor health services so I pay $110 a year for fixed wing evacuation to a US based hospital, should the requirement arise. With this in mind, I started thinking about helicopter evacuations from remote areas in the US and Canada. I've seen reliable information that indicates the cost ranges from $25k to $50k to get scraped up and flown to the nearest facility. While medicare covers ambulance service I don't think it covers a helicopter.

I looked at Global Rescue, a provider of worldwide services and can get 30 days coverage for $229.00. I'll be crossing North America both directions, late May through June. Anyone out there have this coverage or know more than I do?

·
Survivor
682 Posts
Just started SkyMed yesterday. Pays for ground ambulance, helicopter and jet. From your home, from any foreign country, from scene of accident, from hospital to hospital, from hospital to home. Will also pay for your traveling partner to be flown home or for a family member to be flown to you. They will crate and ship your motorcycle too. Cost about $1,600 for 36 months and because I am a vet I got three additional months. Costs more than MedJet but provides better coverage. There have been people around here who have been billed $70k for a helicopter from an accident scene and then a jet to another hospital.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info on SkyMed. The subject for me is one that I would like to avoid but having one's accounts drained would be insult to injury. I'll take a look at SkyMed and compare it to Global Rescue. I usually ride two months a year in North America so monthly coverage is all I'm looking for. The $110 annual to get out of here 'case I get shark bit or shot is a pretty good deal....

I'm going to call Medicare and see what their limits of 80% coverage on "ambulance" transport actually covers and report back for other geezers out there that ride the wild side.

As someone once said, "Don't ride so fast you outrun your Guardian Angel".

·
Survivor
682 Posts
Thanks for the info on SkyMed. The subject for me is one that I would like to avoid but having one's accounts drained would be insult to injury. I'll take a look at SkyMed and compare it to Global Rescue. I usually ride two months a year in North America so monthly coverage is all I'm looking for. The $110 annual to get out of here 'case I get shark bit or shot is a pretty good deal....

I'm going to call Medicare and see what their limits of 80% coverage on "ambulance" transport actually covers and report back for other geezers out there that ride the wild side.

As someone once said, "Don't ride so fast you outrun your Guardian Angel".
There goes a month out of your life.

·
Super Moderator
697 Posts
I've heard mixed reports on air ambulance transport plans. I know one guy that got busted up pretty bad in a report part of northern California (many broken bones, and other trauma) and they said his accident didn't justify air transport and he laid on the side of the road for a long time waiting on ground EMS. I've also heard you should be wary of the language in these plans that represent they'll take you where you want to be treated.

Whatever plan you choose, my thinking is that I shouldn't be riding anywhere that I can't personally afford to be rescued from by the best means available after activating my Inreach SOS.

Another thing to think about while on this topic is the value of Wilderness First Aid and First Responder training. I ride with the same group of guys every year and we keep saying we should get the training - haven't done it yet - I think it's a great idea before you go off with a group to a place where help is many hours away.

https://www.nols.edu/en/about/wilderness-medicine/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign={campaign}&utm_term=wilderness first responder&gclid=CjwKCAjwq-TmBRBdEiwAaO1en4pTE9IFsuTKj2oxjKAFiPqehbWPAQRZezjn07oa9yhPLH4ndkOTERoCSkIQAvD_BwE

https://www.wildmedcenter.com

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whatever plan you choose, my thinking is that I shouldn't be riding anywhere that I can personally afford to be rescued from by the best means available after activating my Inreach SOS.

Another thing to think about while on this topic is the value of Wilderness First Aid and First Responder training. I ride with the same group of guys every year and we keep saying we should get the training - haven't done it yet - I think it's a great idea before you go off with a group to a place where help is many hours away.
A helicopter is $50,000 +/-. How can one know where emergency services may elect to use one, needed or not? I assume you meant (can't) personally afford. I (can't) afford 50k for a helicopter.

First aid is the immediate and temporary treatment given to the victim of an accident or sudden illness until the services of a medical professional can be obtained. I carry a small but effective trauma kit and know how to use it.

For a couple of hundred dollars I think I'll also carry a med evacuation membership card.

·
Super Moderator
697 Posts
I assume you meant (can't) personally afford. .
Yep, apologies. I mean I don't ride anywhere I can't afford to be rescued. That's a bit easier as I have a benefit on my Amex that will pay for medical recovery and transport for an accident that happens while I'm traveling as long as it's arranged by them. There's some pretty amazing benefits to the Platinum level cards from various financial institutions and I sincerely hope that I never have to test the medivac features of mine.

Hmmm, I should make sure that the Inreach Network has my Amex benefit on file in case I'm not in a state where I can advise them on that. I ride a lot of places where the only way to communicate is via satellite text/phone.

You know, I wouldn't want to have to pay for a $50,000 helicopter ride but if I really needed one to save my life, I'd pay twice that for the ride. It's a lot easier to quibble about the price after your life is saved but I suspect any of us would pay whatever it takes to get rescued if we were in a life threatening situation. I guess a Medivac plan is like any insurance. You weigh the chance of needing it, the downside if you don't have it, and the cost of the insurance and make the right choice for you.

For me, the main thing is that I have a way to call in the help if I should need it.

·
'14 R1200 GS Adv "Freya"
129 Posts
Just started SkyMed yesterday. Pays for ground ambulance, helicopter and jet. From your home, from any foreign country, from scene of accident, from hospital to hospital, from hospital to home. Will also pay for your traveling partner to be flown home or for a family member to be flown to you. They will crate and ship your motorcycle too. Cost about $1,600 for 36 months and because I am a vet I got three additional months. Costs more than MedJet but provides better coverage. There have been people around here who have been billed $70k for a helicopter from an accident scene and then a jet to another hospital.
Website down for maintenance - no help today!

·
Survivor
682 Posts
The price we got was much less than their website. We were at a BMWMOA Getaway in Coeur d’Alene last weekend. They had a SkyMed Rep make a presentation and offer a good deal. I bet a smooth talking sailor could get the same deal.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Local EMS Helicopter subscription

1. A Flight nurse on local "LifeFlight" EMS helicopter told me (4 years ago) that their average bill was around $15k. (It was probably only that low because most of their calls are near urban areas that are relatively close to trauma centers. Would be more in remote areas, where we like to ride.)

2. I signed up for helicopter/fixed wing subscription (about $65/year); however, if you read the contract's fine print I understand that you are not guaranteed a helicopter flight, rather local EMS triages you and makes the judgement call regarding what mode of transportation is most appropriate, keeping in mind that helicopters are about 10x more costly than ground transportation. Local EMS may have their own financial incentive to want to haul you, as well. (P.S: I used to work on a volunteer ambulance crew.)

3. The plan <https://www.lifeflight.org/service-area/> covers most of the north western states (Idaho, Oregon, Washington, parts of Montana, through reciprocal agreements of some sort.

4. Thanks for starting this thread--good info.

---------------------------------------
4. Separately, I just rode to Portland-Houston-Portland in last month (6300 miles) and found the BMWMOA tire program a lifesaver. I had a flat near Nogales and received a timely 60-mile tow and a new Heidenou tire for about $49 out-of-pocket. I have the "Platinum Plan" for $109/year.

·
'14 R1200 GS Adv "Freya"
129 Posts
1. A Flight nurse on local "LifeFlight" EMS helicopter told me (4 years ago) that their average bill was around $15k. (It was probably only that low because most of their calls are near urban areas that are relatively close to trauma centers. Would be more in remote areas, where we like to ride.)

2. I signed up for helicopter/fixed wing subscription (about $65/year); however, if you read the contract's fine print I understand that you are not guaranteed a helicopter flight, rather local EMS triages you and makes the judgement call regarding what mode of transportation is most appropriate, keeping in mind that helicopters are about 10x more costly than ground transportation. Local EMS may have their own financial incentive to want to haul you, as well. (P.S: I used to work on a volunteer ambulance crew.)

3. The plan <https://www.lifeflight.org/service-area/> covers most of the north western states (Idaho, Oregon, Washington, parts of Montana, through reciprocal agreements of some sort.

4. Thanks for starting this thread--good info.

---------------------------------------
4. Separately, I just rode to Portland-Houston-Portland in last month (6300 miles) and found the BMWMOA tire program a lifesaver. I had a flat near Nogales and received a timely 60-mile tow and a new Heidenou tire for about $49 out-of-pocket. I have the "Platinum Plan" for $109/year.
"helicopter/fixed wing subscription (about $65/year)" Whose?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Website remains down today? Possibly they need to send a chopper to collect a coder?

If I broke my leg and saw a helicopter land with no insurance I'd probably finish the job on myself rather than hand over 50 grand? :eek:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts