R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day,
I recently fitted a set of Metzeler Karoo tyres, and while I'm happy with their performance, I've just done a 4000 km ( 2500 miles ) trip, and the rear needs to be replaced already.
The 4000km was one up, but both panniers loaded, plus a Ventura Bag.
If I had a pillion, I presume I'd have had even worse wear.
This can't be normal wear can it?
The dual-purpose scene is new to me, looking for half a clue.

·
Sparky GS'r
152 Posts
Hi Jason,

Although the Karoo is a dual purpose tyre (similar to the TKC80's I run), they are leaning towards off-road use and wear heavy on tarmac.

If you use your bike mainly on the road I would recommend you change to Tourance tyres, that will give you some off-road look and some limited off-road ability.

If you ride all the time on the road I would recommend you change to either Michelin Pilot Roads or Bridgestone 020's.

With either of these you will see increased mileage from your tyres.

I personally have two sets of wheels, Spoked with TKC80's for off-road and Alloys with Pilot Roads for touring and scratching :D .

Hope it helps.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Stu,
Having a spare set of rims shod with alternate tyres would be the ultimate set-up, but a luxury I can't afford for now.
If nothing else, it forces me to learn how to change tyres myself, which I want to be profficient at anyway.
Given the bike's majority of use is commuting to work, with occasional dirt on wekends or trips, for now I'll slip the Tourance's back on,( which I originally had on before re-fitting Karoo's for a recent trip ) and get the last out of the Karoo's on my next planned trip involving a majority of dirt.
The Tourance's have plenty of km. left in them, but I already am personally aware of their shortcomings in the dirt by experience.
Thanks for your reply, I'm envious of your arrangement!
Cheers,
Jason.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Jason,
You said Karoos were on your bike.
Were they Karoo T or the Karoo tire.
I ask because I was told by a tire rep of another brand that the T was for bikes w/ the power & weight of the 1200GS or the like.
I have enjoyed the Karoo T tires on heavy bikes & earned 4,500 miles on the rear. Plus that was really over loaded & not concerned about the mpg. On the street I would run 34 & 42 while off pavement I saw a differenct at 20/20.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts