R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All the reviews I have read would indicate that this is THE adventure tyre to have! Hands down the best.
Anyone got a set on? Are they available in Aus yet?

·
Fisherman on 2 wheels!
162 Posts
The few reviews I've read (as I mentioned on a different post) seem very scripted.

I would love to read opinions of forum members specially as to how they compare against the K60 Scout's.

Pricing is very similar here in the US. For example the K60 is $194 and the Wild is $195 (Rear-150/70 B17)

·
Super Moderator
714 Posts
TKC80. Everything else is subpar.
I'm new to this whole tubeless knobby on a fat bike thing. My friends that use the TKC80 tell me it's a fine off-road tire but wears very quickly. An acquaintance put a set on his Hyperstrada and didn't get 3500 miles out of them. That's about what I got out of a D606 on my KLR. If this new Michelin is as good off-road and wears better, we might have a winner.

I'm looking forward to some real world feedback on the Wilds. Especially how noisy they are and if they're living up to the hype on grip on and off road.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Check out Chads video on the Wild at advdesigns.com. He's put some serious miles on them and loves them. They'll go on my GSA when I get out west this summer.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yes they wear fast but they are the best off road tire.

I wore out a set last week in just a few days in Portugal. Minimum Tarmac ridding but lots of rocks and hills. Actually I went through two sets of rears and one front.

I'm new to this whole tubeless knobby on a fat bike thing. My friends that use the TKC80 tell me it's a fine off-road tire but wears very quickly. An acquaintance put a set on his Hyperstrada and didn't get 3500 miles out of them. That's about what I got out of a D606 on my KLR. If this new Michelin is as good off-road and wears better, we might have a winner.

I'm looking forward to some real world feedback on the Wilds. Especially how noisy they are and if they're living up to the hype on grip on and off road.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From Michelin

Here is a bit more of the company speel.

Product Description

Michelin Anakee 3 Wild Dual Sport Adventure Tire

To date, bar none, the most aggressive and longest lasting tire we have mounted to our R1200GS Liquid Cooled Adventure Bike. We have hand several customers on R1200GS LC and LC Adventure bikes put over 6k miles on these tires. Having ridden these tires in two of the Trophy Challenges and the 2015 LA Barstow to Vegas run, we can confidently say that these tires are 1. Aggressive and 2. they last much longer than any knobbie tire we have ever mounted.

The Michelin Anakee Wild Tires offer a more aggressive 50/50 design to get you over the river and through the woods. Updated compounds, combined with an innovative tread pattern inspired by Michelin's Dakar winning Desert Race tire, offer extraordinary longevity for extended adventures. Offset blocks and curved tread grooves provide true off-road performance, especially in soft and challenging conditions and, in addition to proven off-road performance, the front/rear casing design ensures impeccable on-road stability. With sizes specifically made for larger ADV bikes, the Anakee 3 Wild Tires will help you put that extra HP to the ground in a meaningful way.

Features:
- An off-road version of the popular Anakee III
- Ideal for riders who like to take their bikes on the trails
- Designed for 50% on and 50% off-road use

·
Registered
249 Posts
All the reviews I have read would indicate that this is THE adventure tyre to have! Hands down the best.
Anyone got a set on? Are they available in Aus yet?
First 300 km makes one fell in a slipery road. After 500 km is perfect!

Tyres are noisy. Mine has a humming all the time after 60 km/h on good asphalt. It is a ROAD tyre. Be prepared to hit the ground if you go off road.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All,

Just mounted a set Michelin Anakee Wild on my 2014 1200GSA LC and first impression is so-so (35 miles highway/5 dirt). Paid $35-40 more per tire. Noise a bit less than the TKC80's with 4200 miles removed and so expect these to make less noise than TKCs - NOT, is a little less or same! Vibration was noticeably less on these when shod new so should arrive at same or little less noisy than TKCs once tires wear in. Wild don't seem to hold a line on highway quite as good, and turn in more abrupt and not as smooth of transition as on TKC; Wild also tend to follow grooves in road more. Grip on road is comparable but off-road is definitely less, my seat of pants estimate is 20-30% less than TKCs - lugs are closer together and it translates to less soft ground traction for the Wild. Overall, not sure 2000 more miles with Wild is worth the compromise to off-road, same noise and only a little less vibration. Will give an update when I have had more time on these Wild tires - but not feeling the wild part, TKC80's will be a tough tire to beat.

M

·
Registered
5 Posts
I heard a lot of high mileage claims like 6-10k miles early on but these were from folks either in the media or got free tires to test.

Yesterday a guy on the BMW R1200 GS Adventure page on FB said "1,000 miles and they're half gone."

Last week on ADVrider a guy reports "1150 miles and about half done; 5.5 mm of 10 mm."

So I'm a bit skeptical of these higher mileage claims. Michelin says they were independently tested by a lab and say the longevity is 50% longer than a TKC-80 and since my '11 GSA would get 3200 miles on a TKC-80 in a best case scenario, I'd say 4800 miles is the max I'd ever get from these Anakee Wilds. That's really good but not 6k-10k.

Another odd thing is that even though they call it a 50/50 tire, it neither looks (or sounds) like other 50/50 tires such as the K60 or the new Tractionator GPS from Motoz. A buddy testing the tire last year told me they said it's a 70/30 tire. He said "great tire but didn't last as long as I'd hoped." My guess is some marketer decided calling it a 70/30 tire would scare the average rider and since most buy 50/50 tires they better stick with that classification.

I don't know, this tire looks as aggressive or even moreso than the TKC-80 which is a 60/40 tire. (off road/on).

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Over on another forum, this is the first report I read about the Wilds:

"I have put just over two hundred miles of off road and just under a thousand on all types of road riding conditions.

This is a confident inspiring tire..

Push a bit harder on road and a lot harder off..

1150 miles and the Wild is about half used up. Tread depth starts at 10mm, and I am at 5.5mm.

I will say I think I ride harder than most, I'm always pulling wheelies and hit red line a lot. And like to see if I can get rid of the "chicken strip
"

A few days later, the same gentleman posted:

"IMHO, the Anakee Wild is better all the way around compared to the TKC80.

On the road, the Wild out performs by a long shot. Better at everything, cornering, breaking, accelerateing, and rain coverd roads, all go to the Wild.

Off road they are close, but I still give it to the wild, and I say this because I aired down less with the wild, and in some cases didn't find it necessary at all. The radial really does conform to the ground that much better.

As others have said, this is my experience and opinion, not everyone will agree..

Milage is going to be very close for the rear tire, but the front is a totally different story. I'll get back to that after I put another 3K miles on the front.

I've got a set of Wilds waiting for me in Seattle for installation just before getting on the ferry to Alaska in June.

Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
An important thing to distinguish here is what Michelin is saying about the Anakee Wild (50% longer life than a TKC-80) vs what riders report they are getting. It's easy for Michelin to say "hey, we only said 50% greater than a TKC-80 but ymmv...."

Ah, but then a buddy of mine on FB today said a Michelin engineer at the press event told him to expect 6k out of his rear tire. That's a horse of a different color.

I asked him "do you then typically get 4,000 miles out of a TKC-80?" but he hasn't responded. I don't know many who get more than 4k miles out of a TKC-80. I'm sure if you air them up high and go really light on the throttle, that's a possibility.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2014 GSA. I purchased a pair of Anakee Wilds and have put 400 miles on them.

On dirt secondary roads they are much better than the stock Anakee 3's as in those conditions it was a very squirrely experience. So on dirt/small gravel roads I am very satisfied. I expect on trails they will be perfect.

On a over road they work fine, turn in is twitchy at first but you come to expect it and you adjust accordingly. They ride smooth enough, and when you come to a stop sign can you feel the knobbies vibrate under you the last 10mph. Braking is impacted and I noticed that they won't stop as short as the stock A3's but that is to be expected.

The only thing that bums me out is the road noise....... Dudes, these tires HOWEL !!! from 45 - 75 mph the noise just funnels up the forks up into your face penetrating my helmet. I crammed in my ear plugs for literally an air tight seal to keep out the noise. So...... If you aren't bothered by tire noise get yourself some new meats!

·
Registered
371 Posts
i never had WILDs,i had karoo 3, and they handle very well offroad and onroad. they dont grab lines on highways, and they go straight very well at speeds.

they are however noisy, not sure if more noise than wild since i never had them :) but they sound like a loud fan!.

so far, my best offroad onroad tires that are quiet and handle great in all terrain is shinko 705.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
It took almost six weeks but, now, I feel like I have some credible experience with the Michelin Anakee Wild tires. On June 23, the good folks at BMW of Seattle installed a set on my '14 GSA and I left the dealership with Alaska in my sights. Initially, they really wanted to 'turn in' when making steering adjustments but that sensation went away fast. The only other negative was they were loud on the pavement. Hey, they're knobby tires.

I toured all over the Frontier State and went as far north as the Atigun River. My wing man and I got a good soaking on the way up the Dalton and never once did the Wilds fail to perform. Even on the 22% grade "Beaver Slide," they never slipped once. In fact, they were great on the pavement and, even with our camping gear on board, we never had any issues with slipping in turns, wet or dry. The tire pressure was set to manufacturers specifications, 36 lbs and that wasn't changed.

On July 13th, we pulled up to Dan Armstrong's home & shop in Fairbanks to have new Wilds installed on the rear only. Here's what both the Seattle-installed looked like:

At that point, the tires had 3878.5 miles on them. The rear had at least another 1000 or 1500 miles left but, since we were heading home, we knew we couldn't get Wilds conveniently between Fairbanks and the US. Besides, we still had Top of the World Highway on the agenda. On August 1st, I rolled into my driveway. The Wilds held up for the remainder of the trip including a nice Sunday putt on the Dragon. Here's what they look like after the ride:

The front has 9,231 miles on it. The rear tire Dan Armstrong installed after 5,353 miles still has a few miles left.

I rode my machine conservatively on this trip, usually no more than 5 mph over the speed limit, generally, but I did hit some "go to jail" speeds out on the Great Plains passing slower vehicles. I avoided the Eisenhower System as much as possible but there were times that couldn't be avoided. I'd definitely use these tires again for a similar trip.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I put on a set of Wilds for a trip to CO and I dropped the pressure to about 25 lbs F/R after we reached dirt. I kept the pressure there until my return home as we were not riding may miles between trips into the passes. We rode Cinnamon, Hurricane, California and Corkscrew Passes where there is plenty of rock and loose rocky material on steep roads, (you want traction here). Locally I have been using the same pressure to ride off road on some well graded and also very rocky sections. At 3K miles the rear is about finished for dirt riding but has probably another 500 of pavement left, the front still has plenty. In 2 weeks I am going to ride the NMBDR and have yet to decide if I'll use the Wilds again or try the TKC 80.

·
Registered
13 Posts
John

They are loud on the pavement. I drown them out with music. Great tires that wear fast and put a huge smile on your face simultaneously. Will buy another set. 2016 GSA

·
Registered
5 Posts
I trialled two sets of TKC 80's (GSA LC)

Just done 500km on a set of wilds
First comment, I won't waste my money on another set of TKC80's again

My opinions on the MAW
Very noisey, you sound like a B Double coming down the road, only on sealed roads
Same vibration as TKC80
First 50 km on sealed roads they do skate around a little, but this soon disappears
Off road grip is excellent, both front and rear
Brilliant front end feel, twice that of the TKC, as you all know loosing the front end on these big girls is normal, these make saving it a whole lot easier
Wear rates? Too soon to call, however I will say that after 500km with approx 100 on tar you can still see the nipples on the front, back looks good to.
One noticeable concern is some carcass cuts approx 5-7mm long between the knobs on the outer layer of rubber, not sure if these will pose a problem or not, too soon to call.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts