R1200GS Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
I spooned on a set 2 days ago and finally got a chance to get out and ride them today on paved and gravel and even some loose dirt. Compared to the Anakee III's that came on it - a world of difference in looser stuff! The bike felt planted and so much more confidence inspiring, like the D606's I used to run on my DR. Anyway, they're a little bit louder, but I don't notice them really at all with ear plugs, Schuberth C3 Pro and music playing through the Sena 10u (or even no music). Even the Anakee III's sometimes would make a terriffic racket, more than these do on certain surfaces. It was very disconcerting the first time it happened but I digress. I too noticed the carcass cuts No knobs left mentioned, I think it's because I was pretty hard on the throttle using the shift assist pro and my traction control light was going off after gear shifts, so the tires must have been slipping with the fast shifts at full throttle. I'll back off on that action, as I would like these to last 6K as advertised. They corner really well on pavement, and again, I can't say enough about the improvement on dirt/gravel. I don't know if they're the best, due to my lack of experience with other tires, but I think I'll be buying these from here out.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
I spooned on a set 2 days ago and finally got a chance to get out and ride them today on paved and gravel and even some loose dirt. Compared to the Anakee III's that came on it - a world of difference in looser stuff! The bike felt planted and so much more confidence inspiring, like the D606's I used to run on my DR. Anyway, they're a little bit louder, but I don't notice them really at all with ear plugs, Schuberth C3 Pro and music playing through the Sena 10u (or even no music). Even the Anakee III's sometimes would make a terriffic racket, more than these do on certain surfaces. It was very disconcerting the first time it happened but I digress. I too noticed the carcass cuts No knobs left mentioned, I think it's because I was pretty hard on the throttle using the shift assist pro and my traction control light was going off after gear shifts, so the tires must have been slipping with the fast shifts at full throttle. I'll back off on that action, as I would like these to last 6K as advertised. They corner really well on pavement, and again, I can't say enough about the improvement on dirt/gravel. I don't know if they're the best, due to my lack of experience with other tires, but I think I'll be buying these from here out.
Sed8r - those look great - will be interested in how they wear for you. I have a 16 as well and will be looking for tires soon. Question for you - how do you like that Saddlemen seat? I am really thinking about pulling the trigger on one this week. How is the fitment? Any large gaps or anything?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Sed8r - those look great - will be interested in how they wear for you. I have a 16 as well and will be looking for tires soon. Question for you - how do you like that Saddlemen seat? I am really thinking about pulling the trigger on one this week. How is the fitment? Any large gaps or anything?
It fits like a $700+ saddle should - like OEM. Higher quality pan, metal attachment points, and a heating element! Best of all, on long rides my bits aren't numb afterwards... It's a good seat. Was a toss up between it and a Russell Day Long - boiled down to not wanting to wait for the RDL to get made, as the costs are pretty close. Maybe some day I'll send in the stock seat and have RDL make me one of theirs, then sell of the least favorite of the two, but I'm ok with what I have now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It fits like a $700+ saddle should - like OEM. Higher quality pan, metal attachment points, and a heating element! Best of all, on long rides my bits aren't numb afterwards... It's a good seat. Was a toss up between it and a Russell Day Long - boiled down to not wanting to wait for the RDL to get made, as the costs are pretty close. Maybe some day I'll send in the stock seat and have RDL make me one of theirs, then sell of the least favorite of the two, but I'm ok with what I have now.
Thanks for the response - I have been agonizing over my seat decision for the last week. LOL My fitment concern came from a comment from someone on Revzilla regarding the fitment of the seat on their bike. So glad to hear that it is a non issue. I have felt the same as you that if the seat did not work out then I would send my stocker to RDL - just not real crazy about the look of those seats though no matter how comfortable they might be. :)

One other option might be a Laam. I had one on my FJR and loved it. He has stated that he would do GS seats as well but I have decided I did not want to be without mine while it was redone.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Reviving thread as I'm looking at buying these tires. Looking for more recent reviews with some mileage behind them. So far this looks to be my leading choice...

·
Super Moderator
714 Posts
Reviving thread as I'm looking at buying these tires. Looking for more recent reviews with some mileage behind them. So far this looks to be my leading choice...
After going through 2 sets of TKC80s I spooned on the Wilds last time and I'm getting much better mileage out of them in true 50:50 riding. I don't notice any difference in off-road grip even in gnarly or wet terrain but I feel like I'm getting a bit better grip on the pavement. They are spendy tires so you have to decide if they're "better for you" than the much less expensive options.

Reactions: mikec

·
Registered
109 Posts
After going through 2 sets of TKC80s I spooned on the Wilds last time and I'm getting much better mileage out of them in true 50:50 riding. I don't notice any difference in off-road grip even in gnarly or wet terrain but I feel like I'm getting a bit better grip on the pavement. They are spendy tires so you have to decide if they're "better for you" than the much less expensive options.
Any mileage numbers for them so far?

·
Registered
40 Posts
When I purchased my 2018 R1200 GSA Rallye I had Max BMW put on a set of Wilds,
On my 2014 GSA I had the TKC70 they were fine for road not much for dirt, but always wanted some Wilds,
I like them, little squirrelly at first on pavement, dirt there great, good on pavement now I have a few miles on them.
Noise is ok it's a knobby,
Above 60 mph little noisy in my opinion there ok.
I do like the fact there a Radial tire good grip!
I have 500 miles on them now after this weekend over 1k.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Put about 5K on em, all through AZ and ALL kinds of terrain. Fully stacked and packed, 2016 GSA. Back was done after trip, front ready for another 5k. Great confidence inspiring tires. Grip, handling, twisties, rain, snow, wet, etc.

For lighter fire road stuff, I use conti attack II. Way better road tire, less noise, and great on trails.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Put about 5K on em, all through AZ and ALL kinds of terrain. Fully stacked and packed, 2016 GSA. Back was done after trip, front ready for another 5k. Great confidence inspiring tires. Grip, handling, twisties, rain, snow, wet, etc.

For lighter fire road stuff, I use conti attack II. Way better road tire, less noise, and great on trails.
Thanks for the update. Love seeing numbers associated with how/where they were used and how the bike was packed.

·
Reprobate
140 Posts
What pressure are you running with your Wilds? I put a set on my '18 GSA based on the reviews and after 400 miles of mostly dirt roads here in Northern Vermont I am unimpressed. The town was grading roads the day I made the switch from almost worn out Anakee 3s to the Wilds. I made one last run with the 3s down a freshly graded road that hadn't been packed down yet. A bit of squirm but nothing unexpected. After mounting the Wilds I ran the same road and holy crap the bike was wandering all over the place!

I'm seeing the same thing in sand and scattered gravel, and they want to follow every shallow tire track or ripple in the surface. I'm running 30/34psi.

I found the Shinko 804/805s much more predictable at half the price.

Pete

·
Super Moderator
714 Posts
I've run the OEM Anakee IIIs, switched to TKC80s, then Wilds and now have the Dunlop Mission Trailmax tires on the bike. The Dunlops are a game changer. They are a fine 50/50 tire but produce nearly no noise and no vibration. I've had mine in just about every kind of off-road from gravel forest road to gnarly and sandy two tracks as well as a couple of thousand miles of road trip. Awesome tires not showing any wear yet.

Reactions: mikec

·
Registered
194 Posts
What pressure are you running with your Wilds? I put a set on my '18 GSA based on the reviews and after 400 miles of mostly dirt roads here in Northern Vermont I am unimpressed. The town was grading roads the day I made the switch from almost worn out Anakee 3s to the Wilds. I made one last run with the 3s down a freshly graded road that hadn't been packed down yet. A bit of squirm but nothing unexpected. After mounting the Wilds I ran the same road and holy crap the bike was wandering all over the place!

I'm seeing the same thing in sand and scattered gravel, and they want to follow every shallow tire track or ripple in the surface. I'm running 30/34psi.

I found the Shinko 804/805s much more predictable at half the price.

Pete

Curious why such low tire pressure? Have you tried at the recommended pressure of 36 and 42?

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
I had Dan Armstrong install Wilds in Fairbanks and rode the Dalton Highway with them at 36lbs/42lbs:

Even in the calcium chloride slime, they performed well:

I went through a lot of freshly graded, soft road beds and had no issues. I did negotiate those sections with caution. After that, I rode on those tires all the way back to North Carolina and here's what was left:

Those tires had a bit over 6,000 miles on them.

Mike

·
Reprobate
140 Posts
Curious why such low tire pressure? Have you tried at the recommended pressure of 36 and 42?
I started with the recommended pressures and while they were fine on pavement, I experienced the wandering described above. I lowered the pressure thinking it might help on dirt roads as 90% of my riding is off pavement. (Only one paved road in town, and 80% unpaved in the county.)

·
Super Moderator
714 Posts
Yeah, IMO there's no reason to run the recommended pressures unless you're loaded up and on the pavement. Even then I generally run a few PSI less because I'm not near max weight. If I'm going to be spending the whole day in more challenging off-road riding, I air down into the high 20's and get much better grip and even riding many gnarly rock gardens, haven't dinged a rim yet.

Reactions: Glenfiddich
21 - 36 of 36 Posts