R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have any real world data on the Anakee Wild. I have a 2017 GSA that I'm getting ready to mount them on, and I'm wondering about on/offroad handling, wet handling, longevity, noise, and anything else that could be reviewed. Thanks for your replies.

·
Super Moderator
714 Posts
After going through the OEM set of Anakee 3 tires, I've now been through 2 sets of TKC80 and I'm about to cast off my first set of Wilds. I've used them both extensively off-road in places where dual-sport bikes roam and there have been times I've railed on them pretty hard on a twisty road. Here's my observations:

- These aggressive knobby tires on a GS will get the job done just about anywhere off-road from rutted up muddy slopes to soft deep sand.

- They are deafeningly loud on the pavement. I wear very high quality hearing protection so it's not a problem for me but seriously, they are very loud at anything over 30 mph. A fair bit of vibration as well.

- On a dry twisty road, these tires will probably out perform most people's courage but they definitely reach their limit of grip before a sport touring tire would. On a wet road, your traction control will be intervening almost constantly any time you're on the throttle.

- The Wilds provide the same level of traction as the TKC80 on and off-road with longer life.

So the moral to all that is that unless you're planning to spend more than 50% of your time off the pavement; or, when you do venture off the pavement it could be into some gnarly places, then you'll enjoy an 80/20 tire much more than these. The fact of the matter is that an 80/20 tire like the Anakee 3, Pirelli Scorpion Trail, etc will be more than adequate for forest roads and such as long as you temper the level of frisky you bring to the ride. But if you do fancy riding your GS like an enduro bike, then the Wilds, while more expensive, are the way to go.

With a garage full of dirt bikes now, I'm casting off my Wilds next week and shoeing it with a set of Dunlop Trailmax Mission tires. Dunlop makes some pretty bold claims about the range of performance of these tires and still claims that they are 50/50 tires but they should be much quieter and smoother with better pavement grip than the knobs I've been running. My GS is on the schedule for some long road trips this year so I'll get a chance to test my theories about them as well as the life they offer.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went ahead and mounted the Anakee Wilds. Yes they are noisy on the road. I haven't had them offroad yet. But I will. Oh, I will. They sure do up the badassery of the GSA as far as looks go. But, I digress. That's not what I bought them for. RawHyde in March! Yippee!!

·
Registered
338 Posts
The Wilds are my tire of choice and I keep them mounted continuously. They have got me in and out of some sketchy off road situations and I like that, mostly the getting me out of situations. On pavement I find they get squirrelly in corners at 90-95 mph but are fine below that speed. My issue is mileage due to my lack of self control with the throttle and I only get about 3.5K miles if I behave and less when I don't obey posted signage. I do know people that get 5-7K miles from a set but I find I am always waiting for them to catch up with me.
Enjoy you RawHyde course.

·
Registered
15 Posts
There she goes, just over 6k km on the Anakee Wilds, great off road tyre, and I was doing about 70% gravel, changed to Anakee Adventures, I need a bit more mileage out of a tyre and plan to do less gravel in the coming months

1 - 8 of 8 Posts