R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
R1250GS 2021
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2 months ago I took off my Michelin Anakee's that came with the bike (new). I liked those tires but just couldn't stand the noise from the front. So, decided to go with model I liked a lot. On my previous bikes I always used Michelin Road (Pilot) 2, 3, 4 and 5. So, as I was always happy with them, I've chosen Michelin Road 6.
The first impession was great. On the way out of the garage that installed them, the front was dead quiet. It felt so good. Few days later, on the highway, I went over 150 km/h (93mph) and the rear started to "dance". It was swerving left-right-left. I lowered the speed and it was OK. I went up again and the swerving started again. I've got even more speed and it was still there. So I went to different highway with newer surface. Still the same... Tried 3rd highway, different surface again, still the same. I was not happy. At that point I thought that tires were new and needed some time, as previous models of that tire were always great on my bikes.
2-3 days later, just out of fun, I let go my handlebars and bike violently swerved left. Tried few times on different speeds, it was still turning left... a lot. Went back to the dealer that installed those tires and he did all the procedure of front fork alignment . It was just a bit better but not solved and still dangerous.
Now, 2 months later and 1500 miles more, nothing has changed. All the problems are still there.
I researched through the hundreds of forums for different bikes and many riders encountered the same problems with Road 6 on their bikes (non BMW). They say it's not bad batch. The tire is wrong.
I am shocked. Those tires were expensive and I could sware in the previous models quality.
What the hell is this??????
So, I'll keep them through the winter and look for new tires in the spring. I will have to research for the best 100% pavement tire for my bike. I want good grip and I don't care about durability as sticky tires don't last long and those are that I want.
On the original tires, I had none of the problems described above.
Hard earned money thrown away.

· Registered
R1250GS 2021
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All mentioned above has been tried already. The only other thing is to try old Anakee front tire. I will go to the shop to mount it tomorrow.
Sent the complaint to Michelin this morning. Waiting for the answer.

· Registered
R1250GS 2021
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The most likely source of the problem is the shop. It’s not a balance issue. And probably not a tire issue. If the symptom is as radicals as you describe there is something “wrong” with the set up. I’d ask the shop to dismount the tires and remount them. visually check to see the beads are seated. Something is wrong and it’s probably not the tire and it’s definitely not the balance.
Done that already, no change.

· Registered
R1250GS 2021
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Previous bikes were all Suzuki, 2 of DL650 V-Strom and 3 of DL1000 V-Strom. They all run well on Road series. I was so confident on Road series that I bought Road 6 without doing any research.

· Registered
R1250GS 2021
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Went back to the shop that installed my Road 6. They still had my old Anakee's. I explained I wanted to test my front tire by installing back my old Anakee. As they were informed by me previously about the problem, they said they'll do it free of charge and then put back Road 6, free of charge too. So they did, balanced it and I went for a test ride. The result is, the bike was perfect again. No pulling left at all. Then I went to one highway to see about the rear swerving, and that one was gone too. So everything was back to perfect. Went back to the shop, they put Road 6 again, balanced it and I went to the same roads for the test. Bike was pulling left again and the rear was swerving on the highway.
So, I have my conclusions now. It's the front tire.

· Registered
R1250GS 2021
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's an impressive bit of detective work. Well done!
The guys in shop were very nice and helpful. They also filled complaint to Michelin importer but they say it's hard to get any response from them. They offered replacement tire, whichever brand I wanted but I know them for many years. They are just small family bussiness and very honest. Knowing them and the way they work, I know if I accept the replacement, they would be paying out of their own pocket and then wait for Michelin to refund. And that may never happen. I just can't do that, it wouldn't feel like the right thing to do. So, I won't. I kindly refused the replacement. I'll see in Spring if I can get Scorpions Trail 2.

· Registered
R1250GS 2021
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
FWIW - I recently replaced my Anakee Adventures with the Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2's and couldn't be happier. They stick like glue on the tarmac and are very quiet. Now, as far as their dirt performance I can't really attest to anything other than riding on hard-packed gravel. They were adequate for that but I wouldn't venture off-road for much more than that. I will buy them again though.
Those will be my next tires.

· Registered
R1250GS 2021
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
That is very decent of you, but what if this dangerous tire leads to an accident ?
Your insurance company may refuse to cover if they can prove that you knowingly continued to drive a dangerous bike, out of (admirable) compassion for you tire dealer …
Insurance companies aren’t famous for their empathy, you know…
Everything you say is a true. However, I will not accept the replacement tires from the shop, for the reasons I mentioned above. I will buy new tires as soon as possible. As only the front tire is the problem here, I was wondering if (just for a few months) changing only front tire to Scorpion Trail 2 and leaving Road 6 at the rear would do any harm in bike's handling. Again, it will be just until next spring.
I have 40 years of riding and bikes owning experience but cannot recall owning any bike with tires different between front and rear.

· Registered
R1250GS 2021
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
I have cast wheels. The last motorcycle I owned with spoked wheels was back in 1987. If spoked wheels were the only option for GS, I wouldn't own GS.
As I wrote previously, I did the test by changing back to previous tire at the front and the problem was solved. So, no more doubts. The problem is in the front tire.

· Registered
R1250GS 2021
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Just a small update.
As expected, Michelin has never replied to me nor to the shop. As I hear around (just a rumors) they have a ton of complaints about Road 6. I'll hold my tires and ride carefully until Spring. If by then Michelin doesn't issue the recall (and I'm sure they won't), I will say goodbye to Michelin forever (car or bike) as I feel cheated.

· Registered
R1250GS 2021
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
stretched and or broken cords can give you the symptoms you had. This can happen when the tire is mounted. It does not imply the installer did it wrong. A tire could just be a little tighter from the factory or other defect. You most likely would not be able to see it. It can happen when you get a puncture too. Hitting a foreign object is notorious for causing this problem. I have seen many such issues with tires on vehicles.
When my tires were installed, nothing of that has happened. They were not overstretched, it was an easy fit. And I didn't hit anything with the front tire as the symptoms showed on the first ride.

· Registered
R1250GS 2021
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I've been at the shop again, two days ago and told them what I've seen in this forum. They will call the main distributor again (not by email this time) and insist to find the solution for me.
The important fact mentioned in this forum is that Michelin is aware of the problem. However, they may say "We've never heard about the problem"...
My only chance is if somebody complained in Portugal already but I don't know about that as Road Series is not very popular over here. Lets wait and see.

· Registered
R1250GS 2021
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
If replacing the Road 6 from existing stock reproduces the same issue then at a minimum there is a lot problem. It would require effort on Michelin's part to actually identify the issue, identify the affected tire lots, and develop a solution.

As this issue has apparently been reported in other forums and by dealers themselves for several months, Michelin can't be oblivious to the Road 6 issues. However, there's been nothing but crickets from Michelin or so it would seem.

It would appear that if you want to ride, without the annoying pull, another tire manufacturer is in your future...unfortunately.
I have been encouraged by other memeber here, who had dealer replace Road 6 for Road 6 with same left pull effect and then to Scorpion Trail 2 that gave the final solution. I have almost given up on complaining and made a plan to replace the front tire in the spring so this is my last attempt to keep trusting on Michelin. If they don't solve the problem none of my cars or bikes will have Michelin tires again and I'll keep telling everyone how I have been scamed. I mean, how is it possible that such a big international brand doesn't care about their product that even affects safety? I know that one product can have a problem when it comes out of the production line. It has hapened to me before but the brand would always take care of it and replace the faulty product with a good one. They have to do it to keep their clients. If Michelin closes its eyes on this, it's the end of my decades long relations with them.That is because I feel abused as a client.

· Registered
R1250GS 2021
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 · (Edited)
Well, first of all, the riding season here where I live for last 22 years (south of Portugal) is 12 months a year.
And the second, as I consume a lot of tires with my private vehicles (owning one vehicle at a time) and my bussiness vehicles (owning 3 passenger and 2 cargo vehicles right now) my first choice was always Michelin. So, as I said previously, if this goes wrong it's the end of Michelin on all vehicles for me and few friends of mine that are following my problem... and they talk to their friends... and those friends talk to their friends... and so on, the word spreads. Many huge manufacturers died because they didn't care about their clients. If they think short term, they like to save few bucks and that makes them happy. But in long term, they are killing their own bussiness. It has all been seen so far. The mathematics behind it are simple. And in today's world, bad news spread very fast. Few decades back the communications level was low without mobile phones, SMS and internet but still, the word would spread. It just took long time to. In today's world, manufacturers should be much more aware of "spreading the word" danger.

· Registered
R1250GS 2021
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Means the tires are not centered to the zero/center point of the frame/bike. Usually not a mechanical issue but an installation oversight.
Why don't you take time and read through this thread and other threads about the same subject? You're new member and you're very welcomed into this community but try not to simply jump in as a "saviour" thinking that no other members have knowledge about mechanics. Some of the members (and two of them wrote their words of wisdom in this thread) are hugely experienced motorcycle mechanics.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts