R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I would like to do a week long Mid West BDR ride in 2022. I ride a BMW R1200GSA. I am located in southern Indiana so open to connecting with others. Please let me know if any available rides I could connect with. Open to tent or hotel nightly stays…very flexible…thanks!!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
When you are on Pennsylvania SR997 South heading to either the Silhouette Hollow or Ridge Road entrances of Michaux state forest beep the horn when you go by the yellow brick ranches house.

·
Administrator
1,138 Posts
I did just about all of it over the past couple of years. Since I live near to the middle of it, we did from Harpers Ferry north last year. Just a few weeks ago we did from Harpers Ferry south to Marion. The whole thing is a really beautiful ride that is moderately easy on a big bike with more novice off-road skills. There's a few very short sections that would challenge anyone that are easily bypassed and I think there's more paved on this BDR than any other. If you look at the RideBDR maps and their itinerary there are some really short days. Those guys did a lot of lolly gagging and bird watching and it's very easy to do many more miles than the sections as presented. What they lay our for 4 days we did in two with plenty of breaks, late starts (~9am) and early stops (~5pm).

·
Administrator
1,138 Posts
When doing ADV rides like this I typically find myself doing 180 - 250 mile days - sometimes longer but hardly ever shorter unless there's a problem to deal with. Some of the sections of the MABDR are sized to allow you a lot of time off the bike exploring local history or interesting sights. This whole BDR is practically in my backyard and I've ridden this area from NC to NY quite a bit in addition to the BDR so I will admit that when we rode it recently there wasn't a lot of sight seeing other than from the back of the bike on the go.

We did stop for lunch and fooled around a while at the Mountain Lake Resort where the movie Dirty Dancing was filmed. Over 30 years after the movie this place is still prominently featuring the movie locations and memorabilia. By the way, the lunch in their big ballroom restaurant was not that good. The other place we stopped was the Greenbank NRAO - the largest man made moveable object in the world on land. My friend had never seen it and it is definitely worth the side trip to see a 2.3 acre big az/el mount dish that is looking for intelligent life in the galaxy.

There's a few places in PA that are worthy places to explore as well so it is nice to ride this track without a tight time constraint. Bald Eagle State Forest, Michaux SF are both great places to ramble around off the track a bit. And, there are great places to camp all along this BDR if that's your thing.

Reactions: MikeHSG

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all for the information! MikeHSG, let me know your plans for 2022, if I cannot connect for the entire trip, possibly a portion of it. I’m open to any arrangements…really just want to ride with some fellow riders!!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Living in south central PA 99.9% of my life if it's a Saturday I'd love to ride with whomever for the day. If I'm taking off work to go riding it's not going to be in PA, I'll be heading WV, VA, TN and/or NC.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi All, I would like to do a week long Mid West BDR ride in 2022. I ride a BMW R1200GSA. I am located in southern Indiana so open to connecting with others. Please let me know if any available rides I could connect with. Open to tent or hotel nightly stays…very flexible…thanks!!
I bought the map a while back thinking of doing it on a KLR but don't have a riding companion. After reading this thread so far, I'm thinking that I might easily do it on my 1200GS. The timing/schedule thing is something I'd have to consider around other commitments, but keep me in the loop. Definitely interested, especially given that it looks like international rides may still be challenged by covid. Not sure we're that much safer in the U.S., but at least it's familiar and everybody speak some English.
JohnD
SE Michigan

·
Registered
16 Posts
@dethiml Yeah, sure thing. Few of us from my MC are going together, so details TBD. We'll all be on large ADV's most likely (few 1190's, a GS or two) with maybe a dude or two on WRR's so they can hoon a bit. We camp on these kinds of trips, so the GS is more convenient.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Having lived in PA for 14 years, I would guess springtime would be pretty muddy. But spring in PA is almost summer in North Carolina. Let's keep talking and maybe we can have a great group outing.
....but will my GS....get dirty?

Attachments

·
Administrator
1,138 Posts
Having lived in PA for 14 years, I would guess springtime would be pretty muddy. But spring in PA is almost summer in North Carolina. Let's keep talking and maybe we can have a great group outing.
....but will my GS....get dirty?
That sure is a purty motorcycle but just think how much more adventure cred it'll have when parked out in front of the Starbucks with dirt and scratches all over it!

Reactions: mikec

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
That sure is a purty motorcycle but just think how much more adventure cred it'll have when parked out in front of the Starbucks with dirt and scratches all over it!
Right you are, GrayBeard!
Tire Wheel Sky Cloud Vehicle

I've done the MABDR three times on my GSA, two solo trips and one with another rider. I'm 74 years old and to do it on a big adventure bike is easily done with decent skills. In fact, I believe 95% of it could be done in a Camry. Heck, if you stole the Toyota, do the whole thing in it!😃 This year, I did it in June and, again, in September. Frankly, I like it in the Fall better as it got a bit hot in some areas . . . like 97˚.

Here are a few pics I took along the way:
Plant Tree Natural landscape Motorcycle Grass

Plant Tire Tree Land lot Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Plant Helmet Vehicle

Plant Wood Natural landscape Road surface Terrestrial plant

Tire Wheel Cloud Sky Plant

Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

I'll probably do it again next summer. It's a fun ride!

Mike

1 - 16 of 16 Posts