R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2020 R1250GSA
I just did my first final drive fluid change and the fluid coming out of the final drive was milky looking. The bike has never been in the rain. Special brake in fluid? I replaced it with BMW 75W-90 final drive gear oil from the local BMW dealer. The gear oil going in looked normal.
thanks
chuck

·
Registered
23 Posts
Milky FD fluid

Key #7 = breather; just a rubber bellows that pops into the FD housing - any chance yours is missing?

As an update, I did the 600 mile final drive fluid change at 500 miles on my '15 & '18 RT's and the fluid was dark black; again at 5000 and more of a grey color; at 10,000 almost the same gold color as new. Don't know if you saved the fluid - if so, can you put it in a clear container and see if there is any fluid (water?) separation.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oil

With the rear wheel on its hard to see. Ill make an effort to do that later today. Since the bike has not seen any water yet Id be surprised if that's what it is. I will also give the dealer a call today to see what they say.

I also had an 07 12GS that had the final drive rebuilt by a dealer up in VT. When I changed the fluid in that one I saw the same thing.
chuck

·
'14 R1200 GS Adv "Freya"
104 Posts
How long had the bike sat before you drained the fluid?

"Milky" fluid is typically thought to contain water/moisture but if the fluid was drained very shortly after riding the bike it could well be entrained air in the fluid giving a milky appearance.

Once drained did the fluid separate into water and oil?

·
Survivor
678 Posts
BMW does use a break-in oil in the FD when shipped from the factory. It looks as if it may have moly in it, but I am not sure. It is darker than most gear oils.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is this the first change? It should be done at the 600 mile mark. Was it? If this is the first 600 mile change it very well may be break in oil.
Yes, it was the first final drive oil change on the 1250GSA. (550 miles).

It was also the first final drive fluid change on my 2007 R1200GS after the final drive was rebuilt by a BMW dealer. With 61,000 miles on the 07 I have never seen milky looking final drive fluid and I have ridden in a ton of rain and through a lot of creeks and streams.

Its interesting how I keep hearing about break in oil but I can't find any specific information about it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Last riding season I have leak from final drive outer sealing (in my model is right side) and ask dealer about it. I change sealing but service guy mention about type oil that is also important. Two season put 75W90 like you. Right oil was 75W140 Casrol. After that no leakiges or other issues.
Be careful, your bike is times younger and expensive than my. Good luck!

·
Survivor
678 Posts
Last riding season I have leak from final drive outer sealing (in my model is right side) and ask dealer about it. I change sealing but service guy mention about type oil that is also important. Two season put 75W90 like you. Right oil was 75W140 Casrol. After that no leakiges or other issues.
Be careful, your bike is times younger and expensive than my. Good luck!
I don’t recall any 1100-1200 GS that calls 75W-140 gear oil in the final drive. Gear box yes, FD no.

·
Registered
73 Posts
@ Pterodactyl - friend, I make mainance of final drive and last season with 75W140 shavings from mechanism that I see in a ABS sensor was half in comparison with other time. Up to this moment was use 75W90. Ask service guy about shavings and is it a normal. Anwer was yes, these bikes are heavy and this is a reason. After one season with 75W140 and same km per year (approx) definately there is a different. Unfortunately have not a picture, but I think this change is for better.

·
Survivor
678 Posts
@ Pterodactyl - friend, I make mainance of final drive and last season with 75W140 shavings from mechanism that I see in a ABS sensor was half in comparison with other time. Up to this moment was use 75W90. Ask service guy about shavings and is it a normal. Anwer was yes, these bikes are heavy and this is a reason. After one season with 75W140 and same km per year (approx) definately there is a different. Unfortunately have not a picture, but I think this change is for better.
Good for you.

·
Just Another Guy!!!!
50 Posts
Really? Can you give any more information on this fluid?
Not sure what kind it is, but every service manager has told me they have a moly in the system when they build them at the factory and I believe it's a lube much like when you build a new engine,engine assembly grease of some sort....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts