R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ak. in July. Will need tires in Fairbanks. Do I order these for the haul road trip N of FB or go with the Avon Trail riders for the long haul home on tar at highway speed?

I want a tire that's good in the rain, fair or better on dirt and will make 5K to home or better once installed.

Taking opinions based on actual experience with the two above tire choices. Thanks

·
Reprobate
130 Posts
Can't speak to the 07 front as I run a Heidenau up there, but this year I gave up on the K60 rear as that solid center strip that gave it such long life made for sucky traction in soft dirt, mud and heavy rain. The 07+ is much better in soft stuff and rain. It has no problem with light mud and clears the sticky clay we have here pretty well, but is definitely not good as a full knobby in the deep stuff.

On pavement it gives off a deep harmonic rumble about two octaves lower than the front Heidenau, but it's not annoying. Stiff sidewall, but not as difficult to mount as the Heidi. I only have 1k on it (mostly dirt) so no predictions on life.

Overall a very impressive tire!

Pete

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't speak to the 07 front as I run a Heidenau up there, but this year I gave up on the K60 rear as that solid center strip that gave it such long life made for sucky traction in soft dirt, mud and heavy rain. The 07+ is much better in soft stuff and rain. It has no problem with light mud and clears the sticky clay we have here pretty well, but is definitely not good as a full knobby in the deep stuff.

On pavement it gives off a deep harmonic rumble about two octaves lower than the front Heidenau, but it's not annoying. Stiff sidewall, but not as difficult to mount as the Heidi. I only have 1k on it (mostly dirt) so no predictions on life.

Overall a very impressive tire!

Pete
Thanks for the reply Pete,

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just put on a set for E 07+ front and rear for a trip to Colorado to do the Alpine Loop. These replaced K60 and I find the front is quite at highway speed compared to the K60. I should have a better idea of tread life and overall performance by the end of June after a 3500 mile trip. So far I like them much better than the K60.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Rear tire after 3400miles on and off road used it
My rear Mitas E-07+ looks just like that I took it off today with 6,300 miles of 90% pavement. Actually mine was slightly more worn. Front was not far behind. Liked the tire and the handling. I replaced them with a set of Shinko 705's. For the price of the rear of most sets, I got both front and rear.

A thunderstorm this afternoon prevented me from trying them out today but definitely tomorrow.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update, went with the Heidenau's K60 scouts front and rear. 8786 miles in 19 days fully loaded GS from 3 hours north of the Mexican border to the arctic circle and back.

Heidi's ran 9 days in the rain, 4 of those torrential all day. Not one sign of slipping on snakes or white lines, solid on dry or wet pavement, much of it upward of 85-90mph for hours at a time. Had maybe 2K left on the rear, 4-5 left on the front.

I replaced them with the Metzler Tourance Next's I took off to use the Heidi's when I got back. Bike is in for all new fluids changed, new rear rotor and brake pads as I warped it on the way home somehow. I'll have it back from my mechanic end of next week.

All in all, the Heidi's performed perfectly on the mud of the Haul Rd, dry and wet pavement. I'll use them again when I eat the Metzlers away.

Attachments

·
Reprobate
130 Posts
Update on my Mitas E07+

Completely worn out after 4200 miles, with about 3000 of that at 65-70mph on US highways (not Interstates). The regular Mitas E07 lasted much longer.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Getting 7000 miles on E-07 rear

Update on my Mitas E07+

Completely worn out after 4200 miles, with about 3000 of that at 65-70mph on US highways (not Interstates). The regular Mitas E07 lasted much longer.
My regular E-07's have 6000 miles now; looks like the rear will need replacing around 7000. Mostly roads, but 10 days ago I got real adventurous and went way off road (dropped bike 5 times) so very happy to have dirt-worthy tires.

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've had the Mita Pluses on for a few hundred miles now. At first they were really slippery
in the turns on pavement, it took a couple of hundred miles to get them worn in. Now they
stick a well as the TKC80s did in the turns.
I really like them on dirt roads, ruts, marbles, gravel, they do great on all.
I've never gotten more than 6k out of a tire so I would be surprised if I got that much put
of these.
They wouldn't be my first choice if I was on a trip and doing only occasional dirt though.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just scored another set of spoke wheels that are black like my oem on the triple black 2012 GS for 1K. They have just 500 miles on Perelli Scorpion Rally tires mounted already to boot. I'll run those until they are gone, then have Heidenau Scout 60's put back on those rims.

In the meantime, ride the streets with my new Metzler Tourance next tires on the bike presently.

·
Avid Motorcyclist
18 Posts
My rear Mitas E-07+ looks just like that I took it off today with 6,300 miles of 90% pavement. Actually mine was slightly more worn. Front was not far behind. Liked the tire and the handling. I replaced them with a set of Shinko 705's. For the price of the rear of most sets, I got both front and rear.

A thunderstorm this afternoon prevented me from trying them out today but definitely tomorrow.
Wow, I am surely riding like a grandpa! My E07+ looks like that, but I am sitting at 33000km. Will post a picture as soon I get a chance.

·
Registered
275 Posts
It appears to be a toss-up as to whether the tires will wear out or dry-rot first. You might try leaning the bike over to extend your mileage. The chicken strips look fine...

·
Super Awesom Person
437 Posts
It appears to be a toss-up as to whether the tires will wear out or dry-rot first. You might try leaning the bike over to extend your mileage. The chicken strips look fine...
When I put knobby's on my bike there will be wide chicken strips. They are not made to be leaned over that far. Your right about the dry rot on that tire tho. If it were mine I would replace both tires.

·
Avid Motorcyclist
18 Posts
When I put knobby's on my bike there will be wide chicken strips. They are not made to be leaned over that far. Your right about the dry rot on that tire tho. If it were mine I would replace both tires.
What is dry rot? The tyres are only 18 months old.

·
Avid Motorcyclist
18 Posts
With regards to the chicken strips, that is unfortunately the reality of my daily commute, 160km round trip on the free way between 100 and 120km/h with not any real twisties.

I bought the bike with a new set of E07+ fitted. I think it is a great all rounder, however since I am commuting 99% of the time I will be changing to Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2 before the end of the year.

The only complaint I have with the E07 is that the front is a bit noisy especially at 100km/h, but that obviously comes with the design of the tyre thread pattern.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts