R1200GS Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Avid Motorcyclist
23 Posts
It appears to be a toss-up as to whether the tires will wear out or dry-rot first. You might try leaning the bike over to extend your mileage. The chicken strips look fine...
When I put knobby's on my bike there will be wide chicken strips. They are not made to be leaned over that far. Your right about the dry rot on that tire tho. If it were mine I would replace both tires.
What is dry rot? The tyres are only 18 months old.
Nevermind, Google was my friend. Good thing I will be changing them soon.

·
Super Awesom Person
593 Posts
Lots and lots of small cracks in the rubber tells me that front tire is a lot more than 18 months old. Perhaps you misunderstood and they replaced only the back tire 18 months ago.

·
Avid Motorcyclist
23 Posts
Lots and lots of small cracks in the rubber tells me that front tire is a lot more than 18 months old. Perhaps you misunderstood and they replaced only the back tire 18 months ago.
No both were new, still showing the little rubber hairs from the manufacturing process.

However what the age of the tyre was before fitment I do not know.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Rear with 33000km
Clarification please.
You are saying the rear tyre in the picture you attached has done 33,000 kms.
I do not see this as being possible no matter how you ride or where.
I have used a number of Motoz GPS Tractionators (which are renown for longevity) on the back of a 1200 & 1250 GS and ridden some what conservatively in RAIN mode minimising wheel spin and i eek 12,500 kms of them.

·
Avid Motorcyclist
23 Posts
Clarification please.
You are saying the rear tyre in the picture you attached has done 33,000 kms.
I do not see this as being possible no matter how you ride or where.
I have used a number of Motoz GPS Tractionators (which are renown for longevity) on the back of a 1200 & 1250 GS and ridden some what conservatively in RAIN mode minimising wheel spin and i eek 12,500 kms of them.
I do not know how I can clarify. It is what it is. I do a daily commute of 160km mainly on the freeway and I stick to the speed limits.

I guess my overall fuel economy on Fuelly.com of 21 km/l supports this.

Even more so after 55000km my 2010 GS is still on the original brake pads it came with from the factory. There is about 2mm meat left on each pad on the front.

It all depends on how and where you ride. For some it might seem that I ride like a grandpa, but I thoroughly enjoy my riding style and to me that is what matters.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I did 42,000 kms on a 2017 GS and had plenty of front pad left.
I have done 36,000 kms on my 2019 1250GS and have 2+mm front pad and about 2 mm rear.
The 1200 rear pads were gone in less than 30,000 & the replacements only lasted 10,000 kms. ??? & WTF
With the engine braking and my riding style, any braking is mostly just washing off a bit of speed.
My fuel ave on the 1250 after 36,000 kms is 23.3 km/l. I gass it up exiting corners but am always pulling the tallest gear i can so fuel economy is good.

·
Avid Motorcyclist
23 Posts
I did 42,000 kms on a 2017 GS and had plenty of front pad left.
I have done 36,000 kms on my 2019 1250GS and have 2+mm front pad and about 2 mm rear.
The 1200 rear pads were gone in less than 30,000 & the replacements only lasted 10,000 kms. ??? & WTF
With the engine braking and my riding style, any braking is mostly just washing off a bit of speed.
My fuel ave on the 1250 after 36,000 kms is 23.3 km/l. I gass it up exiting corners but am always pulling the tallest gear i can so fuel economy is good.
"Clarification please.
You are saying your fuel ave on the 1250 after 36,000 kms is 23.3 km/l.
I do not see this as being possible no matter how you ride or where."

Right back at you, but what is the point? This is not a pissing contest on who gets the best fuel economy. I entertained your request to clarify and give some insight as to why my mileage on the tyre is an outlier when compared to most. When comparing fuel economy for the year model I ride I am again an outlier, which might have some correlation with tyre life. Same goes for the brake pads, I have a colleague at work with the same year model GS, he changes brake pads every 10000km at BMW, which is also the average life of his rear tyres.

What will I possibly gain by diluting the value of these forums by reporting exaggerated mileage on a tyre, when I make use of the very same forums as a source of information before making an informed decision concerning the bike?

·
Super Moderator
584 Posts
33,000km...on tyres?...brake pads?...fuel mileage? Haven't seen a post this scattered in a while.

Agree, 33,000km on tyres is a ridiculous claim.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts