R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have Metzler Roadtec 01 tyres on my GS. Very impressive but I do find the shoulders on the front wear out incredibly quickly. I find it annoying having to replace them when the of middle tread is barely worn. I never really noticed this issue when I had a Michelin Road 5 fitted.

I know it’s often said that mixing different makes of tyres is not recommended but I am tempted to keep my fairly new rear Roadtec 01 rear and fit the latest Road 6 to the front.

Advice appreciated.

·
Registered
2006 R1200GS, 2007 R1200GS. 2005 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GSA, 2005 R1200GS, 2006 R1200GS, 2
2,007 Posts
I’ve run a TKC80 front with a dark side rear and lived to tell the tale.

Indian not the arrow as they say.

·
Super Awesom Person
950 Posts
That front Roadtec 01 is made in China. If you do go that Michelin route just go easy for the first 100 miles or so to get the feel for it. I don't think it's a big deal. More of a problem if you went with a bias front tire.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For ages I had a Metzler Tourance on the rear and a Pirelli Scorpion MT90 on the front of my Honda CRF250L. Had no issues, and on twisty country roads I cornered every bit as enthusiastically as I did with my GS.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I've been running Shinko 705 rear and TKC 70 front for the last 40K miles. The Shinko 705 front has a roll in tendency you have to compensate with opposite bar pressure and TKC 70 is neutral.

·
Registered
26 Posts
NOOOO! You'll all die, just ask any manufacturer. Always replace as a matched pair or die a horrible death from crashing totally out of control over a 4000 ft. cliff into a million sharp boulders or something like that.

:D
Either that or you'll have to compensate for it with the right oil brand that has the opposite effect.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Don't mix bias ply with radial tires and you'll be fine.
Even that’s not a problem. You just has to ride within the limitations of both tires.

I rode my GS over 6k miles so far this year on an Anakee 3 (radial) rear and a Mefo Super Explorer (bias ply) front. Including a lot of twisties such as the gaps here in VT and the Cabot Trail in Nova Scotia where I didn’t go exactly slow. It’s been a great all-round combo.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That sounds like an tire pressure issue to me. I forgot to bring my pressure back up to road pressure after some off roading. After a couple of rides I had a lot of wear on the outer area but not all the way to the edge. It stopped as soon as I brought the pressure back to recommended PSI.

·
Registered
2021 BMW R1250GS Adventure 40 Year Anniversary
1 Posts
I currently have Metzler Roadtec 01 tyres on my GS. Very impressive but I do find the shoulders on the front wear out incredibly quickly. I find it annoying having to replace them when the of middle tread is barely worn. I never really noticed this issue when I had a Michelin Road 5 fitted.

I know it’s often said that mixing different makes of tyres is not recommended but I am tempted to keep my fairly new rear Roadtec 01 rear and fit the latest Road 6 to the front.

Advice appreciated.
I have mixed front and back tires many times with no issues, including radial and bias mix. All good...

·
Registered
87 Posts

Advice appreciated.
I have found that wear problem to be true on many dual compound front tires. So I avoid them altogether. Most dual SPORT tires do not have these issues.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts