R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I have been riding big sport tourers for the past 40 years and am looking to get an adventure bike.

On my list is the R1250GSA, new Tiger 1200 and KTM 1290 Adventure

R1250GSA at the top of the list but also the top of the list in price. I currently ride a Kawasaki ZX14R setup for touring and ride on average 15,000 kms per year. My desire for an adventure bike is to get off the beaten track (off tar) to more interesting places and a more comfortable seating position.

Any tips would be most appreciated.

TH

·
Registered
2006 R1200GS, 2007 R1200GS. 2005 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GSA, 2005 R1200GS, 2006 R1200GS, 2
2,007 Posts
You can also look for nice used bike to test the waters. If Adventure riding takes ahold then decide if you want a different bike. If you find Adventure riding is not your thing you can sell off the used bike at little to no loss.

Krons also offers sage advise(y)

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have a 14 GS and love it. My friend has a 1290 KTM. The 1290 is a hooligan bike for sure, and he always has to have a bike that is faster than mine. Off-road, the GS is more friendly and I can pick it up by myself. The 1290 was difficult for both of us to pick up, as it falls completely flat to the ground. The Tiger is a nice bike, but very top heavy. Can't go wrong with any of them as long as you understand the differences, and know your priorities.
Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Motorcycle

·
Registered
71 Posts
I bought the GSA over the GS. Didn't even test out the other options, the BMW just hit all the right buttons for me. I got the GSA as it has crash bars on it, driving lights and the larger gas tank (and slightly larger windscreen) which gives it more wind protection on the highway. Oh and comes with better OffRoad pegs as well. And, as I'm just under 5' 10", I got the factory lowered version.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a 14 GS and love it. My friend has a 1290 KTM. The 1290 is a hooligan bike for sure, and he always has to have a bike that is faster than mine. Off-road, the GS is more friendly and I can pick it up by myself. The 1290 was difficult for both of us to pick up, as it falls completely flat to the ground. The Tiger is a nice bike, but very top heavy. Can't go wrong with any of them as long as you understand the differences, and know your priorities. View attachment 34191
Thanks for the insight - I had heard the GS is easier to pick up. Great to hear a first hand experience comparing to another toe of bike.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought the GSA over the GS. Didn't even test out the other options, the BMW just hit all the right buttons for me. I got the GSA as it has crash bars on it, driving lights and the larger gas tank (and slightly larger windscreen) which gives it more wind protection on the highway. Oh and comes with better OffRoad pegs as well. And, as I'm just under 5' 10", I got the factory lowered version.
I’m 5’8” and WOFF prefer the Adventure for the large tank but the height is a concern. Didn’t know there is a low option. Is that just a lower seat or is our lower suspension?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Welcome to the big wide wonderful world of Adventure Bikes! Been riding all sorts of bikes including various adventure models (Super Tenere, 800/1150/1200/1250 GS's for over 50 years.
I recently sold my ultimate sport-touring bike, a Kawasaki H2 SXSE Supercharged and do miss it quite a bit...now have a 1250GS and it is a bit tamer...lol...
Warning: This video will make you miss your big Kawi...be sure to check out the rider's expression!
Red 2021 Kawasaki H2 on the Dyno with DankWheelie - YouTube

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Welcome to the big wide wonderful world of Adventure Bikes! Been riding all sorts of bikes including various adventure models (Super Tenere, 800/1150/1200/1250 GS's for over 50 years.
I recently sold my ultimate sport-touring bike, a Kawasaki H2 SXSE Supercharged and do miss it quite a bit...now have a 1250GS and it is a bit tamer...lol...
Warning: This video will make you miss your big Kawi...be sure to check out the rider's expression!
Red 2021 Kawasaki H2 on the Dyno with DankWheelie - YouTube
That video is gold - like a kid in a candy shop is the look on his face

·
Registered
71 Posts
I’m 5’8” and WOFF prefer the Adventure for the large tank but the height is a concern. Didn’t know there is a low option. Is that just a lower seat or is our lower suspension?
You can get either the GS OR the GSA lowered from the Factory. This includes overall lowering of the suspension (bike) plus a slimmer seat (as I understand it). At 5'10" I have the seat on the lowered bike raised up to the higher position and can "just about" flat foot. At 5'8" I suspect you'd want to put the seat in the lowered position on the lowered bike.

Note, because this is a factory option, you need to order the bike or, find a dealer that has ordered a lowered bike.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You can get either the GS OR the GSA lowered from the Factory. This includes overall lowering of the suspension (bike) plus a slimmer seat (as I understand it). At 5'10" I have the seat on the lowered bike raised up to the higher position and can "just about" flat foot. At 5'8" I suspect you'd want to put the seat in the lowered position on the lowered bike.

Note, because this is a factory option, you need to order the bike or, find a dealer that has ordered a lowered bike.
Thanks BC Don - now I understand it.

·
Administrator
1,886 Posts
If you decide on a GS or GSA this thread is worth a read.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you decide on a GS or GSA this thread is worth a read.
Thanks for the link to the thread. Fantastic solution.

·
Administrator
1,440 Posts
I bought the GS mainly because I wanted to outfit it with protection and racks of my own choosing. I felt like the AltRider parts were more robust for protection and the Touratech racks and hard cases were at least as good as the BMW parts and I wanted it all blacked out for the top box and panniers. When I bought this bike new in 2016 I knew I'd be taking off in to some challenging places with some GS Trophy aspiring riders. On those rides, weight counts for a lot more and I also knew I'd want soft bags for those rides so the GSA was never really a serious contender for me. Now that my rides are more mellow off-road (BDRs and mostly forest roads) and the road miles are piling up I still don't ever wish I'd had more fuel on board so the longer legs on the GSA are still no factor for me. We rode to Alaska in April a few years ago where we kept hearing "You're the first motorcycles we've seen this year!" and there were gas stations that were not yet open. The Cassiar Highway put the GS fuel range to the test but we made it to Meziadin Junction without having to push :)

Reactions: Rick92040

·
Registered
2006 R1200GS, 2007 R1200GS. 2005 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GSA, 2005 R1200GS, 2006 R1200GS, 2
2,007 Posts
The GS and GSA are different but the same. The GSA is higher weight because it comes with crash bars and weight of the additional 3 gallons of fuel. But like most people they add all the same stuff to their GS and other than the fuel capacity they are around the same weight. So you can level the playing field with lower shock sand only adding in 5 gallons of fuel and the GS and GSA are the same weight (within reason)

Picking up either is not fun. A ton of lead or a ton of feathers is still a ton. Honestly ever the 60ish lbs (both carrying a full complement of fuel) the GSA has over the GS picking up 550 or 600lbs us not fu. If the GSA is at a 1/3rd tank and the GS is at a full tank the weight is about the same.

Heck I don't like picking up 350lbs bikes

Reactions: GrayBeard
1 - 20 of 25 Posts