R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

For the past 7 years I have been riding a Yamaha Super Tenere 1200 with much enjoyment and minimum maintenance expenses. However, I got to a point where it would be nice to experience some of the 21st technologies that the GS has to offer such as lean ABS, active suspension, integrated navigation wheel, TFT display, etc.

With that said, these 'ultimate driving machines' are complex both mechanically and electronic wise. My impression is that BMW came a long way in dealing with their notorious final drive failures and other issues that plagued them over the years.

I am curious to know if there are any sticky issues (mechanic or electric) one may want to be aware of before dropping over $20K at the dealer for a 1250 GS.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,
Reli

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Reli,
Good questions as I'm in a similar boat.

I want to buy a used GS and am looking at a 2014 to 2019 models to save some coats and avoid sales tax.
Do you have any information of what years to avoid and what are the best years?
Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
5 Posts
Perhaps you should read this first :

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi Reli

I have always had jap bikes. My last bike was a 2016 Yamaha xtz1200es super tenere. I loved that bike. I did a couple of mods to it (ecu flash & arrows slip on) which made it even better.
I couldn't see the value of the GS being a third more expensive than my st10.
On a European holiday we called into Austria for a few days. I decided that while there I would hire a r1200gs just to reinforce my belief of why they were a over priced and over rated piece blah blah etc.....! We were 2 up on the GS and within a hour and a half I hear over the intercom "this thing is much more comfortable than that yellow thing of yours" - referring to my st10! After 4 days I didn't want to give it back.
I have now had my r1250gs for just over a year and have around 16000k on it. The more I ride it the bigger the grin I get. It is a great bike. I see reference to the 1250 rattle that some of us may have experienced but I am sure that will be sorted out on the latest models. I don't even notice it now but I am confident that by the time my 3 year warranty expires it will be sorted. Some seem to hear it more than others (that could be simply different types of helmets and hearing ability)!
Other than that I don't believe you will have any major issues. I don't have any hesitation in buying another GS or recommending one to my riding friends. I love the gadgets and convenience that they give, the engine is a honey and is very torquey which when you spin it up over 5000rpm can comfortably lift the front end unexpectedly in the lower gears.
Go buy one I don't believe you will have any regrets!

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
My 2017 GSA is my first BMW, wish I would have done it sooner! I had a Triumph Tiger before the GS, it was a great bike but I would still pick the GS first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Reli

I have always had jap bikes. My last bike was a 2016 Yamaha xtz1200es super tenere. I loved that bike. I did a couple of mods to it (ecu flash & arrows slip on) which made it even better.
I couldn't see the value of the GS being a third more expensive than my st10.
On a European holiday we called into Austria for a few days. I decided that while there I would hire a r1200gs just to reinforce my belief of why they were a over priced and over rated piece blah blah etc.....! We were 2 up on the GS and within a hour and a half I hear over the intercom "this thing is much more comfortable than that yellow thing of yours" - referring to my st10! After 4 days I didn't want to give it back.
I have now had my r1250gs for just over a year and have around 16000k on it. The more I ride it the bigger the grin I get. It is a great bike. I see reference to the 1250 rattle that some of us may have experienced but I am sure that will be sorted out on the latest models. I don't even notice it now but I am confident that by the time my 3 year warranty expires it will be sorted. Some seem to hear it more than others (that could be simply different types of helmets and hearing ability)!
Other than that I don't believe you will have any major issues. I don't have any hesitation in buying another GS or recommending one to my riding friends. I love the gadgets and convenience that the give, the engine is a honey and is very torquey which when you spin it up over 5000rpm can comfortably lift the front end unexpectedly in the lower gears.
Go buy one I don't believe you will have any regrets!

Thanks Jaba01. I am one step closer to drop the $22k at the dealership :) .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Reli,
Good questions as I'm in a similar boat.

I want to buy a used GS and am looking at a 2014 to 2019 models to save some coats and avoid sales tax.
Do you have any information of what years to avoid and what are the best years?
Thanks, Jim
For me, and it seems like a minor thing, getting the TFT display was a big deal. that started in 2018. Prior to that the multi function dash display was thin black letters and numbers on a gray background. Very dificult to see digital speed, ride mode, heated grip settings, gas mileage, fuel level etc. the 1250 might be nicer but can't complain at all about power, ride modes, shifting, handling on the 1200.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you can make the stretch go for a 1250, you will make up the slack when you sell it

·
Registered
20 Posts
First time BMW owner and love everything about the r1259, it is very spirited for a large bike..acceleration and cornering...Some things to get used to is the engine noise, man it makes some weird noises but the mechanic says it normal...and you can feel every bump through the pegs oh it is very difficult to clean since it has a million nook and crannies...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First time BMW owner and love everything about the r1259, it is very spirited for a large bike..acceleration and cornering...Some things to get used to is the engine noise, man it makes some weird noises but the mechanic says it normal...and you can feel every bump through the pegs oh it is very difficult to clean since it has a million nook and crannies...
Getting off topic here, but for cleaning have you tried the s100 or something similar. It gets everywhere with ease and does a great job. BTW, no affiliation here whatsoever.

·
Super Awesom Person
442 Posts
Noise? Use earplugs. Something everyone should be using.
Feel every bump through the pegs? I don't understand that. Is your suspension set too firm?
Difficult to clean? Yea.. About once a year or so I clean mine completely. Otherwise I just get the bugs off. Life is too short and I would rather be riding. Dirt is a badge of honer for this bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Perhaps you should read this first :

Another enlightening read: R1250GS Starting problem and related video:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts