R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2022 BMW R1250GS, 2013 K1600GT
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like to hear about experience and recommendations with either a Mud Slinger or Rear Hugger on a late model GS. Don’t do much mud riding off road but want to keep the bike and rider relatively dry and splash free in the rain. Thoughts?

·
Registered
R1250GS 2021
420 Posts
I would forget about rear hugger if I was you. I've had the Puig one and as it happened to many members here, it broke on its bracket. When it breaks, it's a question of luck if you are moving at that moment. It may get caught by the rear wheel and you can just imagine what that means. I'm not trying to advocate against any product but the fact that the hugger is attached by removing and replacing one of the main bolts that hold your final drive should have been enough to keep me away of installing such an accessory. Well, it didn't and it broke. I didn't even noticed. When I stopped for a coffee just 2 miles away from my house, I noticed it was sheared completely.
There are many members here that use rear hugger and have never had a problem. But me and many others had. I even had that scarry thing of the main bolt working its way out on the ride. Again, the problem many members here experienced with Puig hugger or it with its chinese copy.
All of that was too much for me and I just couldn't justify the risk it involved. I was sad as my GS was going to be my first bike in last 20 years without rear hugger but I had to accept it. Installed Mudsling and have never look back again.
Still, if you don't mind a look of shiny carbon, there is "ilmberger rear hugger" that is attached on a bit different way and does not represent any danger but it is expensive. I couldn't stand a look of it so didn't bother to test it.

·
Super Awesom Person
920 Posts
My friend had one on his GSA and I did not. We went to Alaska and he endedup having to cut his off because it started rubbing on his tire. Before he cut it off his bike was just as dirty as mine.
So basically other than being a pain in the ass it made no difference.

·
Premium Member
2017 R1200GS Standard
10 Posts
Would like to hear about experience and recommendations with either a Mud Slinger or Rear Hugger on a late model GS. Don’t do much mud riding off road but want to keep the bike and rider relatively dry and splash free in the rain. Thoughts?
Mudslinger!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts