R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
it IS a great bike! I have nearly 6k miles on mine...if you're ever in Santa Cruz area, let me know and we can ride!

~Kam

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it IS a great bike! I have nearly 6k miles on mine...if you're ever in Santa Cruz area, let me know and we can ride!

~Kam

Thanks Kam, yeah will do Bro, i intend to drive there one day and capture the beautiful coastline on video, so it will be great to get you and your bike in the video, and perhaps interview you on your experiences !

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The new GS made for goat roads like in The Santa Cruz mountains! I road Old Mount Madonna down, Eureka Canyon up and Loma Prieta end to end last week.
thats what my good friend tells me , he has the R1200GS adventure model, and i will upload some footage of that in future

·
Registered
748 Posts
thats what my good friend tells me , he has the R1200GS adventure model, and i will upload some footage of that in future
I keep meaning to borrow a friend's GoPro and record a ride up Fremont Peak. It's 11 miles of twist turns climbing up a 3500 foot peak overlooking Monterey Bay. And I coast down with the engine off in neutral, but with the electrics still on watching my gas mileage range increase :laugh2:

·
Registered
11 Posts
ha ha - no seriously - i ride a Vstrom 650 which is lighter in mass, but the R1200GS to me felt lighter, amazing engineering
I bought a new R1200GS this spring to replace my 650 v-Strom, and yes the GS feels just as light and nimble, if not lighter when riding - in spite of the 150 lbs or so of more weight. I think this is mostly due to the waterboxer's weight down low. However, when I move the bike around manually in the garage, or from the driveway to the garage after a ride, then I do feel the extra weight. It also feels a bit heavier at low speeds off-road in gravel or dirt, but not bad. I didn't get crash bars at first, but after almost dropping it twice off-road, I decided to do that.

I love the bike overall, but I've found it's still not as comfortable for longer road rides than a bigger/heavier bike. The wee-Strom I could ride for about two hours before needing a break, and any time past about six hours in a day became painful. The GS extends these times - I can go about 3 hours before taking a break, and 8-9 hours in a day is do-able. While eight or nine hours is probably the most one should ride anyway in a day, the few times I've ridden big, heavy bikes for hours, I felt less pain.

OTH, I am getting older, so that might have something to do with it....:smile2:

·
Registered
748 Posts
Working at a motorcycle shop allows me to ride many different kinds of MC. The GS isn't the fastest or best handling, but it does all of the very well without being focused on one of those attribute and poorly at the other!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I love my 2010 GS-TC but am thinking about a 2015 GS-LC. But since I just treated myself to a new R9T, I'll have to wait until next year. Can't afford 3 bikes. Life is so tough. :crying:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts