R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question regarding the National Cycle Windscreens and their support brackets. Has anyone used this screen and does it actually work? I bought one and would like to get some feedback before I actually install the thing. The reason I am asking I tried to install the support brackets and it turned out to be a total fiasco. None of the screws going into the bracket would screw in with A LOT OF EFFORT and had one shear off trying to tighten it down enough so that the brackets would not move around. Next one of the adjusters was so close to the windshield that I could not actually screw the adjuster in...sigh.

I actually have no real issues with my stock GS screen but my wife is getting pounded and I am hoping the National Cycle screen will help...but it will have to be without that support brace! Will the screen move around without that brace? Any feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks,

JW1

·
Registered
911 Posts
I have one and dont use support braces. I got the middle model and it works great. Its impossible to move up/down while moving, but never really need to. In summer its always fully down and in winter its fully up. I can see over it in either position also.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have one and dont use support braces. I got the middle model and it works great. Its impossible to move up/down while moving, but never really need to. In summer its always fully down and in winter its fully up. I can see over it in either position also.
When the screen is all the way up it does not wiggle around? I tried the Puig and it hopped all over the place creating a weird vibration around the top of the helmet. Thanks.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Might wobble a litttle if at all. Guess the forward motion keeps it planted. If it does I dont notice it.
I also had a Puig Touring screen and thought it was too big.

·
Registered
161 Posts
May be these upper part vibrations are reason for support mechanism in the back side of stock bigger adventure screen.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really like this windscreen. It worked well in the lowest position and was very quiet about a 1/3 of the way up. The support brackets I would pass on those. I had a problem with the install and then at the end one of the adjustment knobs was laying on the windshield. Could not use at all and would have really rubbed the windscreen when riding. Talked to National Cycle and waiting on them to approve the return and credit for the support brackets. The guy I talked to there told me they have a few with the problem I was experiencing but most go flawlessly.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have the National V-Stream 19.5" tall screen and at speed it doesn't raise up using the knob because the wind force hitting the screen is too high. You can simulate this in your garage by just pressing on the front of the screen while trying to us the knob to raise it...won't work. I'm not sure at what speed equates to the force being so much on the front of the screen that it won't go up. It doesn't bother me as I always leave it in the fully down position.

I think the screen provides great coverage with very little to no buffeting at most speeds, especially under 80mph. Also, I don't think the screen shacks around at speed, any more that the stock one.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the National V-Stream 19.5" tall screen and at speed it doesn't raise up using the knob because the wind force hitting the screen is too high. You can simulate this in your garage by just pressing on the front of the screen while trying to us the knob to raise it...won't work. I'm not sure at what speed equates to the force being so much on the front of the screen that it won't go up. It doesn't bother me as I always leave it in the fully down position.

I think the screen provides great coverage with very little to no buffeting at most speeds, especially under 80mph. Also, I don't think the screen shacks around at speed, any more that the stock one.
That is what I found as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts