R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone facing this issue? My Nav 6 does not connect with my new macbook pro (M processor) but connects seamlessly with my older macbook air.
Tried a few things like restarting laptop etc but nothing works. Its not picking up the GPS.

·
Registered
111 Posts
My Dell Laptop did the same thing no matter what I did. Every other computer USB-A port worked fine. Connected it to USB-C port and it works.

·
Super Moderator
1,026 Posts
virkdoc, you're a pretty experienced user so I'm guessing this isn't a trick you've missed but I'll mention it anyway just in case - are you sure you're using the proper cable for the connection? I used to have some USB cables that were only good for charging and don't have the data leads in the cable. I got rid of all those because I'd mistakenly try to use them to connect to the computer. Hmmm, you're probably using the same cable you used to connect to your MacBook Air so that's probably not it (unless your USB - USB-C adapter is bad?).

There have also been times when I've improperly disconnected the GPS from the computer and it wouldn't recognize it when plugging it in again. Rebooting my MacBook solves that problem.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
virkdoc, you're a pretty experienced user so I'm guessing this isn't a trick you've missed but I'll mention it anyway just in case - are you sure you're using the proper cable for the connection? I used to have some USB cables that were only good for charging and don't have the data leads in the cable. I got rid of all those because I'd mistakenly try to use them to connect to the computer. Hmmm, you're probably using the same cable you used to connect to your MacBook Air so that's probably not it (unless your USB - USB-C adapter is bad?).

There have also been times when I've improperly disconnected the GPS from the computer and it wouldn't recognize it when plugging it in again. Rebooting my MacBook solves that problem.
hi @GrayBeard....I did use the correct cable....restarted my macbook but no go...on the older macbook air the same cable it works like a charm

·
Super Moderator
1,026 Posts
Weird. My 6 works fine on my newish MacBook Pro with usb-c running Big Sur 11.4, Basecamp 4.8.11, and Garmin Express 7.4.10 but it's telling me now that 7.7.0 is available (not yet installed).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Anyone facing this issue? My Nav 6 does not connect with my new macbook pro (M processor) but connects seamlessly with my older macbook air.
Tried a few things like restarting laptop etc but nothing works. Its not picking up the GPS.
It’s probably the emulation that is stopping it, as Garmin is written for intel and your m1 is using Rosetta to translate I suspect an upgrade will be needed from Garmin

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi I just did a quick search on google and there is some mentions on Garmin Forums with people having connection issues with M1 Macbooks. It seems the software runs but the devices don't connect.

·
Super Moderator
1,026 Posts
It’s probably the emulation that is stopping it, as Garmin is written for intel and your m1 is using Rosetta to translate I suspect an upgrade will be needed from Garmin
Seems plausible. My MacBook Pro is a Intel Quad Core i5 running Big Sur 11.4. But it seems weird that connecting to a USB device would have gotten kinked up - pretty basic feature to be thoroughly tested before release.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So im just using my sons macbook air...hopefully Garmin will sort it out soon

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
I was experiencing the same connection issues with my 2019 Macbook Pro as well as my 2021 version. Both of my Macbooks are up to date and running the latest version of Big Sur. An inmate on another forum suggested I delete Garmin's Web Updater and load the latest version. I did that an it apparently solved the connection issue. All four of my Garmin units hook up with no issues.

Mike

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was experiencing the same connection issues with my 2019 Macbook Pro as well as my 2021 version. Both of my Macbooks are up to date and running the latest version of Big Sur. An inmate on another forum suggested I delete Garmin's Web Updater and load the latest version. I did that an it apparently solved the connection issue. All four of my Garmin units hook up with no issues.

Mike
Thanks Mike will try it

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've had this issue - with the newer macbooks comes the newer OS versions and changes

Likely you've run into the security issue that I've seen in the past

You may also have to do this for something like Accessibility or one of the other areas like I had to do with my Sena unit

1 - 12 of 12 Posts