R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should be receiving my new R1250GSA in a few days. I decided that I want to have a GPS unit, but I’m undecided between the Nav IV or the Zumo XT. I know many of you prefer using their cell phone for Nav purposes, and I could just do that. However, the Garmin units are much more rugged than any cell phone available.
The Nav IV has the advantage of being partially controlled via the Wonder-Wheel on the GSA, the Zumo XT only by touchscreen. I read somewhere that the wonder-wheel only controls the zoom function on the Nav IV, is this right?
The difference in cost between both units is approximately $150. The BMW dealer is giving me a $100 rebate on the Nav IV ($850), the Garmin Zumo XT + the Touratech locking Cradle is ~ $700.
I have read so many negative feedbacks on the Nav IV, and it will soon become an orphan since BMW will move to integrated moving maps on their TFT. It’s already happening on the 2021 R1250RT. Therefore, I’m unsure if I want one.
The Zumo XT has a slightly larger screen 5.5” versus 5”, and it is also much brighter. The Zumo XT, being newer, has a better GPS engine and will be supported by Garmin for longer.
My question, what will you do? I know someone may reply that I have already made my choice.
Thanks.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Since your R1250GS has the TFT display, you won’t be needing the extra information showing functions of the NAVIGATOR VI . The zooming function with the wonder wheel is not really essential, in my view.
In view of the many, many reports of malfunctioning NAVIGATOR VI, the choice should be easy : l’ll change the cradle on my 1250 GS , so I shall be able to use an XT , and only keep my older NAVIGATOR V on my 1200 GS which has an analogue display.

·
Super Moderator
977 Posts
As I've posted elsewhere, the integration with the multi-controller wheel is worth owning a Nav VI.

Reactions: BrianDelaney

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As I've posted elsewhere, the integration with the multi-controller wheel is worth owning a Nav VI.
I did searches on your former postings but couldn’t find anything related to the “multi-controller to Nav 6 integration”. Since I’m picking up my bike at the dealer tomorrow morning I will ask them to explain this to me. As I was mentioning in my original post, one of my concerns is that the Nav 6 will be soon discontinued. I also understand that controlling the GPS via the wonder-wheel is safer than using the touchscreen while riding.
Thanks for your comment.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Instead of spending $850 on a brand new one...pick up a used one for $500 or less, see how you feel and if you dont like it you can sell it for a similar amount.
While buying a second-hand Nav 6 could be a bargain, I would take the risk to inherit someone’s problem.
I recognize that some people who sell (or trade) their bike will rather sell the accessories separately from the machine. However, some dissatisfied Nav 6 owners may also be inclined to unload them on eBay.
Thank you for your comment.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In view of the many, many reports of malfunctioning NAVIGATOR VI, the choice should be easy : l’ll change the cradle on my 1250 GS , so I shall be able to use an XT ,
I agree with your comment. I’m planning to remove the original BMW Nav cradle that is coming my 1250 GSA and replace it with the Touratech Locking GPS Mount for Zumo XT p/n: 065-1397.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Nav 6 has a horrible reputation. Just 1 direct friend of mine is on his 6th replacement. Yes, 6 replacement units.
Find a Nav V if it will fit the cradle (I do not know if it will).
The wonderwheel is such a fantastic invention that I can't imagine not having it on my 2014 1200 GSA. I am happily fiddling with it all the time while riding. If it broke today, I'd replace it tomorrow at almost any price. It is the only reason I don't upgrade to the XT. The XT is vastly superior as a GPS but "no wonder wheel" interaction.
I realize I'm behind technology now with 2014 era hardware. I have no idea how the TFT is to work with on it's own, or with the wonder wheel. We are at a crossroads right now with BMW transitioning away from the separate Garmin on the overdash bar. Will be interesting for sure to see how it all plays out a year or two from now.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The wonderwheel is such a fantastic invention that I can't imagine not having it on my 2014 1200 GSA. I am happily fiddling with it all the time while riding. If it broke today, I'd replace it tomorrow at almost any price. It is the only reason I don't upgrade to the XT. The XT is vastly superior as a GPS but "no wonder wheel" interaction.
Thanks for your reply. Even if I remove the BMW cradle and disconnect the associated wiring, the wonder-wheel will still be interfaced to the TFT. From what I read on this forum and others the wonder-wheel only controls the zoom function of the Nav 5 or 6. If this statement is true, it is not a big deal to zoom in and out directly from the touchscreen.

·
Registered
228 Posts
The NAVIGATOR V will also fit the craddle.
The wonderwheel has a limited list of functions , among which the zooming function (which is admittedly useful) and the home address function, which mostly you don't have to apply while riding (you choose the destination before taking off).
More importantly : if you have the TFT display the wonderwheel OR manages the TFT display , OR the NAVIGATOR,... NOT both of them simultaneously and you have to choose one of both applications while riding,which is simply impractical, or even dangerous...
So, in everyday use, I leave the wonderwheel always connected to the TFT display and don't bother with switching to and fro the connection to the NAVIGATOR, which makes the latter even more obsolete.
With all this first hand experience in mind, I chose the XT as a more accomplished, faster, brighter and better GPS for my TFT equiped 1250 GS.
As the saying goes : my 2 cents...

·
Super Moderator
977 Posts
With all this first hand experience in mind, I chose the XT as a more accomplished, faster, brighter and better GPS for my TFT equiped 1250 GS.
As the saying goes : my 2 cents...
Can you post up the list of parts you used for mounting up the XT on your GS? I'll keep my Nav VI on the GS but on my other bikes (the one's that don't have a wheel controller :)) I might go ahead and get an XT to use on those. So, I'd need a cradle that will power the unit and mounting kit for it.

The other bike is my WR250R which I ride a lot of single track and it would be nice to have the topo and Birdseye views you can get on the XT.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I fear my choice of parts I'll use for mounting up the XT on my GS won't be very interesting for your purposes :

Instrument holder for original GPS navigation systems BMW Motorrad Navigator V and VI.... and I also added the connection plug from BMW to power the Zumo.

But, as you will notice the item I bought from Wunderlich is destined to be used with the original cradle, that comes with the GS.
Slijkmoto (Mud moto, that’s a cool username). I checked your Wunderlich adapter for the BMW cradle. It is a clever system, but it’s nowhere as rugged and secure as the one from Touratech.
Looking at Wunderlich adapter pictures on their website it seems the Zumo is sticking away by 15mm or more from the cradle. When riding is your Zumo stable or are you experiencing vibrations?
The Wunderlich in the US costs $59, the Touratech $199.95, it is a $150 difference that someone needs to justify.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Nav IV, V, and VI all fit the OEM cradle. Wonderwheel switches between the screens (map, My Motorcycle, compass display [useless, IMO], music [if properly paired to your helmet], and utilities) in addition to zooming the map. Don't discount the ability to zoom the map without taking your hand off the bars, it's huge.

The wonderwheel has the same functionality as the old BMW 4-button cradle. I'm toying with adding a Zumo XT but not happy about giving up wonderwheel integration. Besides I'm leaving in 2 weeks and it's too late to be making electrical changes that may need to be troubleshot or fine-tuned to work properly.

·
2018 R1200GSA
63 Posts
I am on my 3rd Nav VI and my first XT. I would purchase the Xt. This is my go to on my R1200 and while the wonderwheel give more control, I can generally make any adjustments easily. The XT is a great unit.

·
Super Awesom Person
690 Posts
If I had to do it over I would not get the BMW Nav unit. First off I've found the BMW Motorrad App does everything I need. So before spending any money download the app and the state maps and learn to use it and test it for a few months. If it isn't doing what you want then get the Garmin Zumo. Don't waste your money on the BMW units.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If I had to do it over I would not get the BMW Nav unit. First off I've found the BMW Motorrad App does everything I need. So before spending any money download the app and the state maps and learn to use it and test it for a few months. If it isn't doing what you want then get the Garmin Zumo. Don't waste your money on the BMW units.
Hi Rick, we are almost neighbors. I live in San Clemente and I’m picking up my R1250GSA 40-year edition tomorrow morning from the BMW Dealer in Riverside.
Thanks for mentioning the BMW Motorrad Connected App as a cheaper method to get GPS tracking with the equipment we already have, an iPhone. Knowing me I will certainly get the Zumo in a few months, I’m a toy boy. But since I have just dumped +30K on the bike plus having already purchased expensive Wunderlich and Touratech crash protections, my wallet needs to take a break. As a popular commercial says “what’s in your wallet”, my answer is: a big hole. Also, the family CFO is ready to confiscate all my credit cards. Life is tough!

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Don't discount the ability to zoom the map without taking your hand off the bars, it's huge.
Thanks for your reply. I understand the point you are making about the ergonomics of using the wonder wheel. However, like everything else it’s always trade-offs, nothing is perfect. For me getting a modern GPS like the Zumo XT overrides the seemingly advantage of the Wonder Wheel. When I bought my R1200RT in 2008, I installed a Garmin Zumo (the original) and was very pleased with it. All was done via Touchscreen and I never lost control of my bike doing so.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am on my 3rd Nav VI and my first XT. I would purchase the Xt. This is my go to on my R1200 and while the wonderwheel give more control, I can generally make any adjustments easily. The XT is a great unit.
Thanks for your advice, that’s certainly what I will finally do.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts