R1200GS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
@Daedalus this will always be a mixed bag! Do what you wanna do....that way there will be no regret.
You want a brand new unit as you said......even if you use it and dont like it you can sell it for a couple hundred dollars less and get the XT.
All you lost will be a few hundred dollars!
Zooming is not the only thing it does.....like graybeard said.....you move between screens, which show map, media, compass, bike information etc etc.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
@Daedalus this will always be a mixed bag! Do what you wanna do....that way there will be no regret.
Thanks, Virkdoc. You are right, in the end I will do what I want to do and be happy. However, I wanted to know what others will do, so I can calibrate my decision. From what I read so far, I’m partially wrong and partially right! Thanks, everyone for replying.

·
Registered
58 Posts
For what it's worth I have done well over 30,000 miles with the NAV 6 and have hardly used the zoom function on my K1600 GTL. I am also on my third NAV 6 having experienced ghosting etc (essentially unusable) on the 2 prior units. I am now moving over from the GTL to a new GSA. The TFT on the GSA appears to have the important information on it. Tyre pressure being the most important for me at any rate, as well as rudimentary NAV backed up with downloadable maps onto your phone. I test drove the GSA recently and all worked straight out of the box, hooking up with my Sena/Samsung S21 Ultra without fuss, impressive considering how utterly useless the comms are on the GTL.

Being let down twice on a trip by the NAV6 was a real pain in the proverbial. Not to mention all the fuss and time wasting getting the units replaced. On the last one Garmin sent me a bill for $500. My reply had something to do with sex and travel, with an invitation to return the faulty one and collect the so called new replacement. They relented and waved the charge....The faulty unit was a year old and the original unit bought with the bike from new was 2.5 years old. Undoubtedly this 3rd unit will fail as all the others have and I will be left once again without GPS. Not much fun when your in the middle of nowhere in the pouring rain, out of GSM coverage and 4 hours to go to the hotel. Grrrrrr .

Anyway I will use the NAV 6 on my new GSA backed up with the BMW Connect App and Maps and see how I go. However I will undoubtedly order the Touratech Mount and Zumo XT to replace the NAV 6 which I will carry as a back up before my next long adventure. The NAV 6 simply cannot be trusted.

If anyone has the Touratech/ZumoXT combo I'd be interested to hear how you find it?

·
Super Moderator
977 Posts
I will admit to putting my 1200GS to mostly adv track following use in it's lifetime. In that mode, there is no turn by turn guidance in any sense on any type of device so actually being zoomed in close enough to pick apart exactly where to turn is essential. On a ride like a BDR following a track, my GPS is frequently zoomed in to the 500' - 800' zoom level to make sure I stay on the track but it's essential to be able to zoom out frequently to see how far it is to the next turn or where I am on the track. Lots of zooming in/out during that kind of ride. Now that need can also be satisfied by having more than one screen in front of you for guidance. I know riders that have two GPS devices on all the time. As I've gotten more familiar with MapOut on my iPhone, it's become an essential part of my kit on those kinds of rides as well.

I can see if you're a road warrior using turn-by-turn route following that uses the auto-zoom feature on your nav, the wheel controller might not be as handy.

Reactions: Zubb

·
Registered
51 Posts
I will admit to putting my 1200GS to mostly adv track following use in it's lifetime. In that mode, there is no turn by turn guidance in any sense on any type of device so actually being zoomed in close enough to pick apart exactly where to turn is essential. On a ride like a BDR following a track, my GPS is frequently zoomed in to the 500' - 800' zoom level to make sure I stay on the track but it's essential to be able to zoom out frequently to see how far it is to the next turn or where I am on the track. Lots of zooming in/out during that kind of ride. Now that need can also be satisfied by having more than one screen in front of you for guidance. I know riders that have two GPS devices on all the time. As I've gotten more familiar with MapOut on my iPhone, it's become an essential part of my kit on those kinds of rides as well.

I can see if you're a road warrior using turn-by-turn route following that uses the auto-zoom feature on your nav, the wheel controller might not be as handy.
^^^ exactly!!
This is why I find the wheel Zoom function essential!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hey Daedalus, I am more than impressed that an American knows about my username and how to translate it ( you‘d have to know what’s my native tongue to start with).
Since the Belgian borders have been closed for almost four months and France is nowadays in the middle of it’s third severe lockdown, I haven’t been able yet to get to my second residence in the south of France where my R1250GS is residing permanently .
The new cradle still has to be installed, in other words.
As soon as this will have been done l shall revert hereto in this glorious blog.
Enjoy your brand new bike and congrats !

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Hey Daedalus, I am more than impressed that an American knows about my username and how to translate it ( you‘d have to know what’s my native tongue to start with).
Enjoy your brand new bike and congrats !
Slijkmoto. Since you are displaying the Flag of the Kingdom of Belgium, I deduced that Slijk was a Dutch word, and you live in the Flanders region. Being francophone, I knew it was not French, and also it didn’t sound German. While I’m American since 1986, I still have my French nationality. I was born and grew up in Haute-Savoie, just by the Swiss border at 10 Km west of Geneva.
It was easy for me to translate the word Slijk not because I'm a polyglot, but I have an excellent friend named Google, more precisely Google Translate.
I guess you Belgians love the South of France, one of my best friends who is also Belgian and lives in the Sierra Foothill in Northern California was originally from the south east of France.
I just rode my brand spanking new R1250GSA 40 years edition from the Dealership in Riverside to my home in San Clemente. A 60 miles (96 Km) ride on the most congested freeways in Southern California. For a big part of the trip, it was stop and go, and I got a lot of practice slipping the clutch. I’m not ready yet for splitting lanes, and since my wife was following me behind in her car I had to behave.
Hoping they will reopen the French border soon so you can retrieve your bike and ride. Safe rides my friend.
André

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Slijkmoto. Since you are displaying the Flag of the Kingdom of Belgium, I deduced that Slijk was a Dutch word, and you live in the Flanders region. Being francophone, I knew it was not French, and also it didn’t sound German. While I’m American since 1986, I still have my French nationality. I was born and grew up in Haute-Savoie, just by the Swiss border at 10 Km west of Geneva.
It was easy for me to translate the word Slijk not because I'm a polyglot, but I have an excellent friend named Google, more precisely Google Translate.
I guess you Belgians love the South of France, one of my best friends who is also Belgian and lives in the Sierra Foothill in Northern California was originally from the south east of France.
I just rode my brand spanking new R1250GSA 40 years edition from the Dealership in Riverside to my home in San Clemente. A 60 miles (96 Km) ride on the most congested freeways in Southern California. For a big part of the trip, it was stop and go, and I got a lot of practice slipping the clutch. I’m not ready yet for splitting lanes, and since my wife was following me behind in her car I had to behave.
Hoping they will reopen the French border soon so you can retrieve your bike and ride. Safe rides my friend.
André

View attachment 29640
What a bikeeeeee......congrats on the purchase!

·
Registered
58 Posts
André

View attachment 29640

Nice wheels Monsieur Le Frog :). I recently signed up for a Triple Black GSA myself. My best friend and riding buddy is a guy from Nice, can't blame him for that? 'Le Frog' is a titel (my Frenglish over the years is highly developed) held with pride.

Enjoy sunny California and all that the wonderful USA has to offer. I'm extremely jealous. Sadly here in Austria we are still under 24/7 lockdown. It's illegal to leave home save for very specific reasons which, do not include riding bikes :-( for fun.

Stay safe and well mon ami.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Merci BigT. I don’t mind being called “une grenouille”. Yes California is a very nice place. I like to travel, but I’m always glad when I come back home. I am leaving this morning for a 4-day trip to Death Valley, but alas “sans moto”. The wife doesn’t want to play pillion for this trip, which I don’t blame her for. So, my wheels today will be in the form of a SUV.
Speaking of COVID lockdown, this seems to be a thing-of-the-past here. I live in Orange County, very few people here are wearing masks besides indoor venues.
Hoping you receive your Black GSA soon and enjoy the ride.
André

·
Registered
228 Posts
I am still impressed, Daedalus, since most of my French neighbours in the South of France haven’t got the foggiest idea that the country at their northern border hosts a bilingual population.;)
Pity that you cannot take your splendid bike to Death Valley.
I traveled there many times on a rental H-D in October and, while quite hot, it beat the car driven experience every time.
Enjoy, nevertheless (and take your GS next time) .

·
Registered
778 Posts
My main use of the BMW NAV was bike telemetry! I like to see everything that's going on in the bike at a glance ;) For a quick navigation I use my smartphone. The only time I use the NAV GPS function is loading trips from Basecamp. I was going to sell my 2014 GS with 90K miles, but no one will give what I feel it's worth, so I'm keeping it. I thought the bike would be a quick sale at the price I was asking and sold my NAV 5 and 911. I should have held off on selling the peripherals :( I bought a 2021 KTM 890 Adventure R and mounted a Zumo XT and Now I bought a mount that attaches to the stock NAV mount and gets power from stock mount. Easy switch between bikes ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I should be receiving my new R1250GSA in a few days. I decided that I want to have a GPS unit, but I’m undecided between the Nav IV or the Zumo XT. I know many of you prefer using their cell phone for Nav purposes, and I could just do that. However, the Garmin units are much more rugged than any cell phone available.
The Nav IV has the advantage of being partially controlled via the Wonder-Wheel on the GSA, the Zumo XT only by touchscreen. I read somewhere that the wonder-wheel only controls the zoom function on the Nav IV, is this right?
The difference in cost between both units is approximately $150. The BMW dealer is giving me a $100 rebate on the Nav IV ($850), the Garmin Zumo XT + the Touratech locking Cradle is ~ $700.
I have read so many negative feedbacks on the Nav IV, and it will soon become an orphan since BMW will move to integrated moving maps on their TFT. It’s already happening on the 2021 R1250RT. Therefore, I’m unsure if I want one.
The Zumo XT has a slightly larger screen 5.5” versus 5”, and it is also much brighter. The Zumo XT, being newer, has a better GPS engine and will be supported by Garmin for longer.
My question, what will you do? I know someone may reply that I have already made my choice.
Thanks.
ZUMO XT. I just put one on my R1200GS and it is way better than the NAV IV. on my K1600GT and honestly I never use the Wonder-Wheel to control it anyway.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
ZUMO XT. I just put one on my R1200GS and it is way better than the NAV IV.
Sorry my original post title was inaccurate, I wrote Nav IV when I intended to say Nav VI (6).
The Nav VI received a lot of improvements over the IV and V, but many people are still commenting negatively on the Nav VI. That’s one of the reasons I may decide to purchase the Zumo XT. Thanks for your comment.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I should be receiving my new R1250GSA in a few days. I decided that I want to have a GPS unit, but I’m undecided between the Nav IV or the Zumo XT. I know many of you prefer using their cell phone for Nav purposes, and I could just do that. However, the Garmin units are much more rugged than any cell phone available.
The Nav IV has the advantage of being partially controlled via the Wonder-Wheel on the GSA, the Zumo XT only by touchscreen. I read somewhere that the wonder-wheel only controls the zoom function on the Nav IV, is this right?
The difference in cost between both units is approximately $150. The BMW dealer is giving me a $100 rebate on the Nav IV ($850), the Garmin Zumo XT + the Touratech locking Cradle is ~ $700.
I have read so many negative feedbacks on the Nav IV, and it will soon become an orphan since BMW will move to integrated moving maps on their TFT. It’s already happening on the 2021 R1250RT. Therefore, I’m unsure if I want one.
The Zumo XT has a slightly larger screen 5.5” versus 5”, and it is also much brighter. The Zumo XT, being newer, has a better GPS engine and will be supported by Garmin for longer.
My question, what will you do? I know someone may reply that I have already made my choice.
Thanks.
I had 3 nav IV's and all had ghost screen problems. So I will never get one again.

·
Premium Member
2017 R1200 GSA Triple Black
26 Posts
I put the XT on my 2009 GSA and loved it. Everything about it is top notch. I left it for the new owner of the bike when I sold it as the 2017 GSA had the Nav V installed. Nav V is not much better than the Nav IV I had on the GTL. The V is an inch bigger and sits a little closer, but is still a crappy screen. I understand the Nav VI is a much better screen, almost like the Zumo screen. The wonder wheel integration for zooming doesn't mean a thing to me. If you mount the XT like you want it, I'd do that.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I went through the same dilemma on my recent purchase of my 1250GS. Garmin is no longer partnered with BMW, I assume because BMW is integrating a nav system in their TFT. So I don't think the Nav VI will be around much longer. I went with the Zumo XT and the Touratech locking cradle. I have the unit wired directly to the battery. I can not compare it to the Nav VI. The Zumo XT did a great job on my first four day tour. It is easy to read, and the touch screen worked amazing well even with a pair of thick gloves, although I did not spend a lot of time adjusting it while riding. It also integrated well with my iphone for music. I take off the Zumo when I am done riding for the day because I am concerned that it could cause the canbus sytem to drain my battery. Over all I am pleased. What I do not like is the screen glare when the sun was setting behind me. It was so bad I could not read my TFT screen at one time. Perhaps if I change the angle that it is mounted at, it may help. I have purchased an antiglare screen but have not had a chance to put it on. I also do not like the route planning function. There is no easy way to plan a route on my Mac computer and transfer it to the garmin, at least not one I have found. Enjoy the new bike.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts