R1200GS Forum banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I went through the same dilemma on my recent purchase of my 1250GS. Garmin is no longer partnered with BMW, I assume because BMW is integrating a nav system in their TFT. So I don't think the Nav VI will be around much longer.
Thank you for your Zumo XT report BoulderTed! The more I’m reading about Nav 6 issues, the less I’m willing to consider it. Some people rave about the Nav 6 ability to provide telemetry information, and the wonder wheel interface, but I don’t think this is important to me. I’d rather have a solid GPS like the Zumo XT, than taking my chance with the Nav 6.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I put the XT on my 2009 GSA and loved it. Everything about it is top notch. I left it for the new owner of the bike when I sold it as the 2017 GSA had the Nav V installed. Nav V is not much better than the Nav IV I had on the GTL. The V is an inch bigger and sits a little closer, but is still a crappy screen. I understand the Nav VI is a much better screen, almost like the Zumo screen. The wonder wheel integration for zooming doesn't mean a thing to me. If you mount the XT like you want it, I'd do that.
Thank you for your inputs

·
Premium Member
2017 R1200 GSA Triple Black
33 Posts
If anyone has the Touratech/ZumoXT combo I'd be interested to hear how you find it?
If you have big, fat fingers like I do, the Touratech mount can be a pain in the neck to install. Lots of tiny screws and nuts. However, once it's installed and the XT locked in the mount; it can't be beat. It really is the gold standard for motorcycle GPS units as far as I know. I let it go with my old GSA as I knew the '17 I was buying had the NAV V on it. No comparison. I even bought the $45 Wunderlich Hood to cast some shade on it, and it's also borderline worthless.

You won't regret getting the XT.

Reactions: BigT

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you have big, fat fingers like I do, the Touratech mount can be a pain in the neck to install. Lots of tiny screws and nuts. However, once it's installed and the XT locked in the mount; it can't be beat. It really is the gold standard for motorcycle GPS units as far as I know. I let it go with my old GSA as I knew the '17 I was buying had the NAV V on it. No comparison. I even bought the $45 Wunderlich Hood to cast some shade on it, and it's also borderline worthless.

You won't regret getting the XT.
Thanks for that. I don't mind the Nav6, its OK. That said, I'm now on my 3rd replacement Nav6 in 2.5 years. Usual problems. Without doubt this latest one will blow up, probably sooner rather than later. I tend to go far and remote, having been stranded by the Nav6 more than once, I will not let that happen again. And so I've bought a new phone, Samsung S21 Ultra, with a bright screen in sunlight so it can be used and lots of memory 512Gb, to download ALL of Europe's maps for those times when there is no GSM. Still, I would like a better, dedicated GPS. I will buy, for lack of an alternative, a Garmin again and it will be the XT. I like the WiFi, big bright screen and so on. The next question will be how to mount it. Maybe I will go the using the existing mount and power supply via an adapter route or, leaving the Nav 6 in situ as a back up/systems readout mounting the XT elsewhere. I will wait until I get my new GSA in May to decide. That said recommendations and observations are always welcome. Stay safe and well and thanks for the response.....Tony. Ps I have enormous hands and bananas for fingers as well ;-)

·
Registered
10 Posts
The NAV 4, 5 and 6 all fit the same cradle. I concur on getting the NAV V, as I've had zero issues with the 5 other than replacing the battery after many years of use, which will happen anyway. The integration with the Wonder Wheel is fantastic. It not only zooms the map in and out (which I will argue IS extremely useful) but also helps take you through the menu settings, media player, quick view of vehicle info, etc. After awhile, you'll do this without averting your eyes from the road, which is great from a safety standpoint. You can get NAV V's cheap and they're not plagued with the same problems the 6 has.

·
Professional Nomad
42 Posts
If you have big, fat fingers like I do, the Touratech mount can be a pain in the neck to install. Lots of tiny screws and nuts.
Haha, I just installed the TT locking mount for the XT today. You weren't kidding!

I kept dropping those tiny little washers all over the garage floor, had to chase after them while swearing up a storm. Thankfully none of them fell into the bike. Don't know what I would have done then!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I should be receiving my new R1250GSA in a few days. I decided that I want to have a GPS unit, but I’m undecided between the Nav IV or the Zumo XT. I know many of you prefer using their cell phone for Nav purposes, and I could just do that. However, the Garmin units are much more rugged than any cell phone available.
The Nav IV has the advantage of being partially controlled via the Wonder-Wheel on the GSA, the Zumo XT only by touchscreen. I read somewhere that the wonder-wheel only controls the zoom function on the Nav IV, is this right?
The difference in cost between both units is approximately $150. The BMW dealer is giving me a $100 rebate on the Nav IV ($850), the Garmin Zumo XT + the Touratech locking Cradle is ~ $700.
I have read so many negative feedbacks on the Nav IV, and it will soon become an orphan since BMW will move to integrated moving maps on their TFT. It’s already happening on the 2021 R1250RT. Therefore, I’m unsure if I want one.
The Zumo XT has a slightly larger screen 5.5” versus 5”, and it is also much brighter. The Zumo XT, being newer, has a better GPS engine and will be supported by Garmin for longer.
My question, what will you do? I know someone may reply that I have already made my choice.
Thanks.
Hello!
I just got a new 2021 R1250gs and decided to go with the Zumo xt with this E-navXT adaptor from https://www.adapter3dmotorrad.com/ total cost $499 + $100 for the adaptor shipped by UPS from Italy.
It took me 5mn to installed, I should have ordered it without the thief protection because I used the original one from the GPS- prep and it works just like a charm with the key to secure the Zumo XT
I'm very happy with the GPS, brightness is great, use it with glove, perfect!
Another frog living in Montana 🐸

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Why do you want to remove it?
the adaptor is very convenient and fairly cheap 54 euro plus shipping
www.adapter3dmotorrad.com/en/product/e-navxt/
@Remi: Thanks for the link. I have already purchased the Touratech cradle and installed it. This Italian brand and their products were unknown to me. I recognize that their system is clever, but the Touratech seems to be more rugged and secure.

Nice to hear a Montana’s frog!

41 - 55 of 55 Posts