R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I am new to the GS world and to this site, first wanted to say hello.

I have purchased a 2016 GSA but it came without a nav. I see that there is quite the debate between the V and the VI. Any advice or guidance from your experiences is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rick for the information. I have heard of these issues but also have heard that the new screen also has more glare due to the glossier screen.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
You can find used NAV V or NAV VI on forums. @rsmith was selling a NAV V on this forum recently?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Thanks Rick for the information. I have heard of these issues but also have heard that the new screen also has more glare due to the glossier screen.
I have used both the Nav 5 and the Nav6.
My Nav 5 never failed and Nav 6 has failed once. Other than that the 6 is faster and ofc has a beautiful screen which is easy to read even in bright sunshine.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Welcome to the forum. The nav 6 has a better screen but has more problems. Garmin has been great about swapping out the defective ones.
I have used both the Nav 5 and the Nav6.
My Nav 5 never failed and Nav 6 has failed once. Other than that the 6 is faster and ofc has a beautiful screen which is easy to read even in bright sunshine.
thanks virkdoc for the insight and info.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Try Adventure Rider. Go to flea market, parts. Nav 5’s come up frequently. $350 to $400. Is the going price.

·
Super Moderator
1,026 Posts
Having owned and extensively ridden with Nav IV, Nav V, and Nav VI there's no doubt in my mind that the Nav VI is worth it. It has a much faster processor for faster map refreshes when needed and a much more readable screen in bright conditions. It's just better in every way and I've had no trouble with mine in going on 5 years.

Reactions: Dan Diego

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Having owned and extensively ridden with Nav IV, Nav V, and Nav VI there's no doubt in my mind that the Nav VI is worth it. It has a much faster processor for faster map refreshes when needed and a much more readable screen in bright conditions. It's just better in every way and I've had no trouble with mine in going on 5 years.
Thank you for your experience and insight. I truly appreciate it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have purchased a 2016 GSA but it came without a nav. I see that there is quite the debate between the V and the VI. Any advice or guidance from your experiences is greatly appreciated.
The reality is that the Nav VI will be supported by Garmin long after they drop support for the V, and that it's processors will be able to handle the increasing number of and complexity of GPS map layers. I, and I'm sure tens or hundreds of thousands of others have 'old' GPSs that are still perfectly functional, but can't be updated with new maps simply because the firmware and processors of those 'old' GPSs can't handle the detailed layers on new maps.

The issue with the VI, commonly referred to as a ghosting screen, was identified as a manufacturing problem where the individual screen layers were too close, with the end result being that vibration would affect the screen the same way a finger-touch would (I hope I'm describing that correctly).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The reality is that the Nav VI will be supported by Garmin long after they drop support for the V, and that it's processors will be able to handle the increasing number of and complexity of GPS map layers. I, and I'm sure tens or hundreds of thousands of others have 'old' GPSs that are still perfectly functional, but can't be updated with new maps simply because the firmware and processors of those 'old' GPSs can't handle the detailed layers on new maps.

The issue with the VI, commonly referred to as a ghosting screen, was identified as a manufacturing problem where the individual screen layers were too close, with the end result being that vibration would affect the screen the same way a finger-touch would (I hope I'm describing that correctly).
Thanks James for the insight and information. You all are making a great case to purchase the VI. Now the fun part, trying to find one not at $900.00.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've heard that the Garmin zumo XT is superior to the Navigators, and much more economical. Just throwing that into fray.

Allan

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've heard that the Garmin zumo XT is superior to the Navigators, and much more economical. Just throwing that into fray.

Allan
Zoom in and out using the roller on the left handlebar is a great feature of BMW bike and Nav. You can't have it with Zumo XT. I agree with you though that on other aspects the XT is quite superior than Nav. I'm having a chance to play around with XT for the time being.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Hey buddy, welcome! I have a Nav IV and Nav V, and I've used the Nav VI a few times in my work. I would defer to others about the reliability of the NAV VI, as I didn't use it enough to experience issues. That said, the NAV V has been very reliable for me. Had the unit for 6 years now, and other than buying a new battery (which is normal after so many years), no issues whatsoever. I also have a microSD card in mine and store gigs of music, which I pipe into my Sena Bluetooth headset.

In summary, it's very reliable, easy to use and since it is one generation old now, I'm sure you can get a very good deal on a used one.

Best of luck (y)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey buddy, welcome! I have a Nav IV and Nav V, and I've used the Nav VI a few times in my work. I would defer to others about the reliability of the NAV VI, as I didn't use it enough to experience issues. That said, the NAV V has been very reliable for me. Had the unit for 6 years now, and other than buying a new battery (which is normal after so many years), no issues whatsoever. I also have a microSD card in mine and store gigs of music, which I pipe into my Sena Bluetooth headset.

In summary, it's very reliable, easy to use and since it is one generation old now, I'm sure you can get a very good deal on a used one.

Best of luck (y)
Thanks zman for the great insight and information. I will keep a look out for both a V or a VI as they both seem to be great with minimal issues. Again thank you, enjoy, and ride safe.

·
Registered
62 Posts

Having invested squillions in the Nav 6 when I bought my K1600 GTL new in 2018 I would not do it again. I'm now on my 3rd one, all replaced due to a well known screen problem resulting in uncommanded screen changes and ghosting. Luckily I've not yet been seriously inconvenienced but that is more by luck than judgement. The 2nd replacement totally froze on me and was completely useless, thankfully whilst I was at home.

What really makes me cross is that Garmin know about these problems yet keep sending out defective units or units with a known design fault. My confidence, as a result, in ALL Garmin products has been severely damaged.

For the new season, Covid permitting, I'm going to use my phone for Nav and the Garmin as a dashboard only. Will see how that goes. Just purchased a new Samsung S21 Ultra (1500 NITS) which has an incredibly bright screen and should be very useable in daylight. We will see. I also purchased the Ram Mount Wireless Charger and 6 inch extension off a centre steering ball mount which brings the whole affair a little closer to my ageing eyes ;-).

From memory I paid around $800 for my Nav6, never again. From my perspective and experience it is a classic BMW rip-off producing a bike that can only use BMW labelled and priced equipment. Their Audio system on the K is another classic case in point. I wonder how the new 1250GS's are coping with the LED Screen and Nav 6. Ditto the new 1250 RT and it combined Nav/BMW LED?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts