R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think a ghost is messing with my NAV VI...
Contacted Dealer, lets see what crazy thing they say...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yep just got a replacement for mine. Thought it was just a dirty screen because when I would wipe it down it would behave again. Then one day riding to work it would just change screens by its self. Contacted Garmin and they sent me a UPS label and got a new one in about 2 weeks.

·
Super Awesom Person
474 Posts
Mine was changing screens on me so I reseated it in the cradle and it's fixed. If you have a screen protector take it off and carefully cleen the screen. if it's still doing it do a factory reset.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I keep having to do a hard re-boot, which solves the problem for a while At least I know how to fix it, but a nuiscance.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the unit in....New Unit ID: 3999468024...was 3326029521...all other numbers match...as long as it doesn't rain we should be good to go a test run tomorrow...

·
Registered
629 Posts
I think what's happening when you see this kind of behavior could be that the CANBUS serial inputs from the controller wheel are floating or making intermittent contact. When I first put my Nav 6 on a cradle on another bike (no serial inputs) it behaved exactly like in your video. It would change screens randomly and sometimes ignore my inputs. Since I didn't need them anyway, I taped off the two pins for the serial bus and never had the problem again. If you want to do a very simple check to see if this is your problem, take a sliver of electrical tape and place it across the serial input pins as shown in this photo:

These should be the same pins on any Nav or Zumo cradle. This obviously isn't a solution for your problem because you need to use the multi-controller wheel but it'll isolate the problem to the GPS or the bike.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yep just got a replacement for mine. Thought it was just a dirty screen because when I would wipe it down it would behave again. Then one day riding to work it would just change screens by its self. Contacted Garmin and they sent me a UPS label and got a new one in about 2 weeks.
This is the opposite of what happened to mine. I was using some windshield cleaner (novus I think.....not about that) and used the cloth to wipe off the garmin. Total haywire after that. Never had a problem until I wiped it with cloth and cleaner. Garmin replaced it. Put a protector on it so we will see. If it does it again I will just ditch the whole deal and use one of the countless phone apps.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I removed the NAV VI from its cradle and it was still acting like a the bottom left was being pressed on the screen. My new replacement seems to be working well but we will see here in the near future.

·
Registered
37 Posts
This happened to me last Sunday. I called Garmin, they'll fix it. It will be my 2nd replacement unit, which I'll sell as soon as I get it. I'm going back to my old Nav V, which never gave me a lick of trouble. I'll put up with the dimmer screen in return for a unit that won't misbehave when I need it in the middle of nowhere.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts