R1200GS Forum banner

NAV VI not turning on with bike

24K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  Scubaman 
#1 ·
Been having a repeated issue with my Nav VI we’re I will switch the bike on and the Nav VI will remain dark. No matter how many times I switch the bike off and on the NAV will remain off. If I take it off the cradle and hold the button on the back down for 30 seconds or more it will reset and turn on. I thought it was s charging issue but it does it on a full charge. Fully updated and once it’s on I have no problems.

#2 ·
I have the problem with it not turning on but only when it's sat for a long time and has no charge on it. I don't know why it would run the battery down when it's off but it does. Are you sure it is getting charged by your cradle - maybe the problem is with the cradle?

#3 ·
After my bike sat for a time on a trickle charger, it took forever and odd tricks to get the Nav VI back to life. Last time I left it to go back South, I disconnected the Nav VI battery to see if that would help. I don't now have, or have ever had an electronic device that could be so stubborn to boot. Once it has a good charge and stays in the cradle, everything seems to be fine. Garmin and Grrrrrr both begin with a G.

#5 ·
I get a similar problem if the bike is turned on (but not started) and then turned off before the Nav VI has time to fully boot up. The only solution I have found for this is to remove the Nav from the cradle and remove the battery. I tried the "30 second" method, but to no avail.

#17 ·
I just had this happen the other day, dark screen, power button didn't work. I removed the unit from the cradle & plugged it in to see if Garmin Express would be able to see it and plugging in the USB connection didn't do anything either. I ended up unplugging the battery and reconnecting it and then all worked as normal.

I've now been more diligent to let it fully boot up before turning off the bike and it hasn't reared it's head again, yet.

#6 ·
Similar issue with the Nav V version...premature battery failure if it sits in the cradle for any length of time with out running the bike. Was informed by my dealer there is a 5 year battery warranty..called Garmin using the dealers special phone number given out by the dealer to contact Garmin with.. Bottom line battery replaced under warranty..

#9 ·
Weird because I took it off once it would not boot up. I held the button on the back down for what seemed like a minute and it booted up. The charge showed fully charged. So i think the cradle works and holding down the button resets the Nav VI. I am pretty sure it happens more often when I am syncing the phone and the sena at the same time to the nav vI.

#11 ·
Garmin Express will not recognize my NAV VI on an iMac, current OSX. I finally just gave up and use a friend's MS Laptop, no problem. Map updates from Garmin's contractor are all too often way out of date, compared to Google/Apple. I've often suspected that Garmin's Aircraft business gets priority and their vehicle nav business is a bastard stepchild. That said, it's still pretty good stuff, quirks and maps aside....

#12 ·
If you look at Garmin's financial reporting, it's just the opposite. While the aircraft business is some real state of the art expensive stuff, that entire industry is but a fraction of the automotive, and handheld markets. Cameras, watches, etc are also a rapidly growing business for them.

BTW, my MacOS 'outer works just fine with Garmin Express and my van updates.

#14 ·
NAV Not Turning On

I have the exact same problem. Does it even charge when the bike is parked and on a trickle charger?

I thought about taking it out and putting it on it's own charger each time I park the bike for an extended time but it is terribly difficult to get back in the cradle.

Anyone else have that problem too?

#15 ·
I have the exact same problem. Does it even charge when the bike is parked and on a trickle charger?

I thought about taking it out and putting it on it's own charger each time I park the bike for an extended time ..
Yes..my battery was replaced under Garmin warranty... Upon reading the oem manual..when the bike is parked for an extended period it s recommended to remove the battery from the unit..

#16 ·
I'm very late to this thread but I thought I'd have my say. If ever I have had glitches with any Garmin unit, I remove the unit's battery for 20 seconds and then reinstall it. With a few issues I've had, resetting with the on/off button has not always given a solution.

Reactions: gsa_guy
#19 ·
Happened to me yesterday again after having the bike parked for a week. Took the unit off cradle held button and nothing. After riding with it off in the cradle for 15 minutes I stopped and it immediately started to boot up once I hit the ignition off button. The screen read low battery.

#24 ·
Nav VI acts like it has a dead battery/looking for discussion

1) I am having the same issues as the initiator of this discussion described, namely the Nav VI Screen does not "awake" when my 2017 R1200GS is started. This is an intermittent problem--sometimes it works, sometimes not. On Saturday I had removed the Nav VI from the bike and plugged it into a USB charger overnight, which should have fully charged it. Nevertheless, it was completely dead on Sunday morning--would not even start with the power button--as well as throughout a 100 miles ride on Sunday afternoon. However, this morning (next day, Monday) it started up normally and I used it successfully today. I get "battery low" messages when first starting, even after all the charging opportunities, which leads me to believe that for some reason the battery is not charging, either via the bike, or via a USB charger. I used to think it was not seated well in the cradle and it wasn't making good contact but I am now skeptical of that hypothesis. Bike has been ridden 2000 miles in last two weeks, e.g., Nav VI battery should be charged.

2) On the K1600 forum <https://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-k1600-bluetooth-audio/167866-nav-vi-battery-life-garmin.html> there is a thread with similar issues being noted. Worth reading if you having issues.

3) And for what it is worth, this site says they have replacement batteries for $60 <https://www.gpscity.com/questions?qid=30309> In desperation, I might try one, although mine is only one year old.

#25 ·
Happened to me early on with new NAV VI on a 2016 R1200GS. It occurred about six times, always after a brief ride and restart. The rendezvous point for our group rides is 1.3 miles from where I live. Start bike, ride to rendezvous point, shut down, restart and no NAV. I often lead our club rides so it wasn't pretty. Checked pins (applied some Deoxit). I discovered that a factory reset would get it back. I called Garmin and they sent me a new--in the box--unit. On the third day out with the new unit, it did it again! WTF? So, during the process of installing a PC8 I removed from my previous bike I discovered that the GPS harness was tapped (posi tap) for the front Skene Lights right at the harness plug. After rewiring that all the way back to the PC8 under the rear seat, the NAV has never failed to start again. That was 7-months ago. I have no idea if removing that tap or perhaps simply unplugging and plugging the harness plug back in was the fix.

#26 ·
Link related to Nav VI power/startup issues

This link has a couple bullets related to power and startup issues: <https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?productID=553253&topicTag=region_powerandcharging>

BMW Motorrad Navigator V or VI Won't Turn On
If the BMW Motorrad Navigator V or VI will not power on or if it is frozen on a specific screen, perform a soft reset. Soft Reset: Connect the Motorrad to a power source such as a computer or AC
https://support.garmin.com/faqSearch/en-US/faq/content/im7G0y2zfs07DOWUNdACmA

Red Battery Check-Mark or Device Not Charging on BMW NAV VI
If you have a BMW NAV VI that is not charging and displays a red check-mark in the battery indicator: Power the device on Whe

#27 ·
This link has a couple bullets related to power and startup issues: <https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?productID=553253&topicTag=region_powerandcharging>

BMW Motorrad Navigator V or VI Won't Turn On
If the BMW Motorrad Navigator V or VI will not power on or if it is frozen on a specific screen, perform a soft reset. Soft Reset: Connect the Motorrad to a power source such as a computer or AC
https://support.garmin.com/faqSearch/en-US/faq/content/im7G0y2zfs07DOWUNdACmA

Red Battery Check-Mark or Device Not Charging on BMW NAV VI
If you have a BMW NAV VI that is not charging and displays a red check-mark in the battery indicator: Power the device on Whe
I did this and it did not fix the issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.