R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new Win 10 computer last weekend (Dell XPS 13) and the Garmin Nav VI updater won't load. It downloads OK, but does not execute and says something like "It won't work on this computer. Try installing again."

I have contacted Garmin support. They had me send them some log files from my computer and will presumably get back to me, but I thought I would throw this out to the group, too. Any thoughts on why it won't load?

It worked fine on my trusty Win 7 computer

Garmin has a web page that suggests a number of things, but none worked.
1) reboot
2) Try to run in Admin mode
3) Turn off firewalls and antivirus
4) Check compatibility

·
Super Awesom Person
437 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would get support from Dell. They have installed a program that is preventing the Garmin program from loading. I suspect it's not a windows 10 problem, it's a bloatware problem. While I suggest you contact Dell however if you would like to remove all the bloatware look here... https://www.howtogeek.com/402888/looking-for-a-microsoft-signature-edition-pc-heres-what-to-do-instead/
Thank you for your reply. I contacted Garmin and they had me remove the current version of C++ and go back to an earlier version, 14.23.27820. I was then able to load Garmin Express normally and update my Nav VI. However, removing the current C++ version killed some other important functionality (google drive sync) and so I had to completely restore my computer to get that back. The restored computer now will no longer will load Garmin express due to same issue as before. So my solution will just be to either not update the maps ever, or perhaps borrow a computer from time to time to do that. I really don't need maps updated--its more of a marketing gimmick from Garmin than a real need (I think they sell advertising, e.g., the little icons, such as service station brands.) I used to buy $20 used GPSs on Ebay before this Nav VI, and they were fine with zero updates, except no Wunderwheel integration and not waterproof at all.

I was content with my previous Win7 setup, but since they were ending support for that I bought a new Win10 laptop. I probably look at computer brands other than Dell next time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had the same problem w/ Nav V not working w/ Win 10. It was perfect with Win 7. Had many conversations w/ Garmin and ended up w/ a refubished Nav V which seems to work.

Garmin told me Win 10 was the problem. Thanks MSFT. Their stock works better than their software.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts