R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All

I have a Navigator V on a R1200GS and this works fine for on road adventures. I have recently started to go onto gravel and now need to be able to navigate forest / fire service roads and tracks.

I looked at the Garmin website and I can see loads of different map options like 24k & 100k but it means nothing to me.

Living in British Columbia I would like either maps of west US & Canada (Washington, B.C, Alberta or just Canada. Has anyone done this already? And know what to buy and how to add it? Can I have both maps on the SD card or do I have one on each and have to swap between?

Apologies if this has been already been answered, I did look through the archives but couldn't find anything. I'm doing the HUMM event in the Canadian Rockies in July so want to get prepared and start doing some practising.

Cheers
G

·
Registered
369 Posts
Hey All

I have a Navigator V on a R1200GS and this works fine for on road adventures. I have recently started to go onto gravel and now need to be able to navigate forest / fire service roads and tracks.

I looked at the Garmin website and I can see loads of different map options like 24k & 100k but it means nothing to me.

Living in British Columbia I would like either maps of west US & Canada (Washington, B.C, Alberta or just Canada. Has anyone done this already? And know what to buy and how to add it? Can I have both maps on the SD card or do I have one on each and have to swap between?

Apologies if this has been already been answered, I did look through the archives but couldn't find anything. I'm doing the HUMM event in the Canadian Rockies in July so want to get prepared and start doing some practising.

Cheers
G
im also interested to find maps for southern california and orange county

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Solution for Canada

Purchased the Backroads GPS Maps for British Columbia today (for Garmin) on an Micro SD card and inserted it into the Navigator. Now I can see On-road and Off-road maps any time I need and I don't need to do any fancy switching between maps, it should just adapt automatically depending on where I am. I'll post a report once I have tried it out.

See this link for more information:

GPS Maps

·
Registered
369 Posts
Southern California you better off buying Buttler map. Few years ago I did southern CA ride with my brother used Buttler map it worked better then GPS.
thank u, i will check it out.
is it a garmin downloadable or old school paper map?

im thinking to sell my garmin v. i cant find use for it :D specially if i end up using paper maps.

·
Registered
75 Posts
thank u, i will check it out.
is it a garmin downloadable or old school paper map?

im thinking to sell my garmin v. i cant find use for it :D specially if i end up using paper maps.
Check out Garmin web. They have Trail Maps you can down load. I think Nav V has lifetime maps. I have Zumo 665LM on my GS, garmin allows me to down load trail maps on microSD cards.

Buttler maps are old school but best for motorcycling. I am not sure if they still offering specials, but right before the holidays, they had six maps for $60. One good thing about Buttler is you can buy trail maps as well as street maps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.