R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

Want to tell my story and maybe you have some thoughts about this situation.
This year I bought R1200GS LC 2013, I really like this bike. But at the end of the season, many problems appeared...
The first big issue with the bike I got three weeks ago.
At the start of training I decided to jump a little log... and had the first problem, first gear crumble to the crankcase...

I changed gearshift to new and went to other training. All was great, bike jumped logs, gears worked perfectly...
At the and of training I decided to jump log one more time more speed than before... And get the second issue...
The drive shaft just tore.

During all season I hadn't any problems and think that some changed last time, and after some days of analysis, I understand what changed.
Three weeks ago I started to disable traction control.
I think it's the main reason for problems, and looks like when the rear-wheel gets in contact with the surface after the jump, the engine just crashes the gear the first time and the shaft last time.

What do you think about this situation?

I tried to get an official answer from BMW but does not get any success...
I think such things must be written in manual

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
648 Posts
  • Were you on pavement, hard dirt, loose dirt?
  • On landing were you at full throttle, half throttle, off the throttle?
  • How many miles on bike?
To me it looks like you have done things the bike is not designed to do...too much load, too much torque applied too quickly...breaking some big parts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
  • hard dirt
  • was half throttle
  • 70kkm
Agree with you too much, but with traction control, there were no problems, so this is a question Does TC so critical in such loads?

·
Super Moderator
648 Posts
  • hard dirt
  • was half throttle
  • 70kkm
Agree with you too much, but with traction control, there were no problems, so this is a question Does TC so critical in such loads?
If I understand the design right, without traction control there is no way for the drivetrain to release that load. I would assume the clutch may have some slippage but clear it is not enough in your case, no slipper clutch on the R1200.

You appear to have found the weakest two links in the drivetrain.

Maybe others have ideas.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts