R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2014 R1200 GSA
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

This weekend I picked up a 2014 GSA R1200. I rode it from Orlando to Miami, and had 2 massive issues with the seat.

A) The bike is too tall. I have a 30" inseam and on the slightest of uphill, cannot get a good grip on the floor. This is essential for me to back up the bike as I cannot put my weight on the bike and get my feet on the floor. Any comfortable(for long distances) low riding seat suggestions?

B) The stock seat is SO wide that I was chafing the entire ride. It was extremely uncomfortable. I would like the seat recommendation to be slightly less wide.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
2006 R1200GS, 2007 R1200GS. 2005 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GS, 2009 R1200GSA, 2005 R1200GS, 2006 R1200GS, 2
2,007 Posts
All the seats are going to be on the wider side. With a short inseam maybe higher foot pegs would help to raise you thighs up and keep them of the side of the seat a little.

You can get "low" seats in both OEM and aftermarket. Unfortunately me suggesting what seat is going to work for you would like me picking you a wife.

Reactions: Scurvy

·
Registered
2014 R1200 GSA
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All the seats are going to be on the wider side. With a short inseam maybe higher foot pegs would help to raise you thighs up and keep them of the side of the seat a little.

You can get "low" seats in both OEM and aftermarket. Unfortunately me suggesting what seat is going to work for you would like me picking you a wife.
Thanks for that. I guess can you suggest brands of seats? Aftermarket, I know of the OEM options

·
Riding a 2009 R1200gs
780 Posts
With the Touratech seat, I did a couple of 600 Miles run, many 400 miles by any weather, perfect. Don't be put-off by it's firmness, it provides support where it counts and it is narrower in the lower part (I'm 5'8" with 32" inseam).

That being said, the Sargent brand suggested by billpyszka is also an excellent idea.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The stock BMW seat is (for me) worse than riding on a wooden plank. Absolutely unbearable.
I now have a Russel seat. Very comfortable for highway touring , but I find it too wide for off-road use.
I also picked up a used Sargent seat. My favourite. I’ve done up to 13 hours in one day on it. I still need to get off a walk around for a few minutes whenever it’s time to fuel up, but the seat is amazingly comfortable. It’s also great off road, allowing me to stand when required.
Your mileage may vary (pun intended).

·
Administrator
1,886 Posts
Options:

·
Registered
155 Posts
1) When setting the OEM saddle to the low position, the rear gets adjusted too, check the Owners Manual.

2) I’m 5’-8” and have a 32” inseam. Not surprisingly, you need to adapt your habits. The GS is a big dual-sport bike and rightly has a taller suspension than a tourer or cruiser, so rather than get yourself into trouble trying to maneuver the bike in tricky situations while seated, get off the bike and maneuver it from off the bike. This is what the mechanics and motocross riders do, so learn from them. It helps me to slightly lean the bike into my hip. Much safer. Sometimes you’ll need to stop at a pull-out or stop light, and the ground will be lower than you can reach with both feet planted, so as you come to a stop, quickly slide like a monkey to one side far enough to get only one foot on the ground. This is an important skill.

3) I use a Saddleman’s low saddle and it is firmer and much more comfy than stock, but is a compromise because my knees are more bent and get sore after a while. It is narrower in the front, which is helpful.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hello everyone,

This weekend I picked up a 2014 GSA R1200. I rode it from Orlando to Miami, and had 2 massive issues with the seat.

A) The bike is too tall. I have a 30" inseam and on the slightest of uphill, cannot get a good grip on the floor. This is essential for me to back up the bike as I cannot put my weight on the bike and get my feet on the floor. Any comfortable(for long distances) low riding seat suggestions?

B) The stock seat is SO wide that I was chafing the entire ride. It was extremely uncomfortable. I would like the seat recommendation to be slightly less wide.

Thanks everyone!
I would not recommend replacing with an off the shelf seat like sargent or corbin. Find a local seat rebuilder/adjuster such as the local one we have in Denver called Bitchn Stitchn. Make an appointment, tell them your current issues and desires. After stripping the seat down they will rebuild it to your specs and then addback desired foam/padding and perhaps new covering.

·
Registered
2017 White GSA
1,591 Posts
Hello everyone,

Thanks everyone!
Where are you located in the US?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I decided to try and modify my OEM comfort seat since I'm height challenged (5'9", 32" inseam) and figured if it didn't work, I'd get a low seat anyhow. Turned out very well. Removed the cover and carefully used an angle grinder to shape the seat. focused on narrowing the front and dishing the seat so as not to get pushed into the tank. Used a hair dryer to warm the cover and then stretched it back over the foam and fastened with stainless steel staples. It was a good winter project. With the seat in the low position, I can flat-foot at a stop.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts