R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI,

I am in the market for a use 1200gs. Located in Claremont California places me in a good area to find a nice used gs. I have been looking at this bike for a very long time. Recently retired from my teaching job I now have time to pull the trigger and get me a nice starter bike.
With a small budget of 7k I am realistic of what this sum can take me. Several sellers have nice bikes that have attracted my attention.

The top of the list is a bike being sold by a mechanic who currently owns three dual sports bmw. His 07 1200gsa has 104k miles and He assures that the bike has been meticulously service by him.

The second choice is 2010 1200gs with 67k miles. The bike looks ok but there is a little high sound coming from the valves?

I was wondering if any one can advice me as to which direction to go?

Thanks for your advice!
G.:nerd:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Go for a 2010-2013 TU model if possible. No fueling issues and a bit more power, the last of the air/oil cooled engines and at the peak of refinement.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Valves on the one bike may need adjustment (part of 12,000 mile service) or could obviously be more.

Your budget should afford a good bike. I just got back to bikes this July after a 20 yrs hiatus, got an 07 1200GSA with 34k for 5000, but needed 36k service, swingarm boots and ABS was out. (All now fixed and a fine machine.)

Personally I would stay under 75k, at 100k you'll need more repairs. The mechanicals of bike are good to 200k with good maintenance but the little stuff will add up (suspension, bearings, etc, etc). I feel the oil cooled bikes are the sweet spot, not to complex and great parts support, plus easy enough to fix yourself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Valves on the one bike may need adjustment (part of 12,000 mile service) or could obviously be more.

Your budget should afford a good bike. I just got back to bikes this July after a 20 yrs hiatus, got an 07 1200GSA with 34k for 5000, but needed 36k service, swingarm boots and ABS was out. (All now fixed and a fine machine.)

Personally I would stay under 75k, at 100k you'll need more repairs. The mechanicals of bike are good to 200k with good maintenance but the little stuff will add up (suspension, bearings, etc, etc). I feel the oil cooled bikes are the sweet spot, not to complex and great parts support, plus easy enough to fix yourself.

Thank you for the information. I am new to this bike. I welcome any suggestions any one might have.

Take good care!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts