R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2017 R1200GSA
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently did a road trip by minivan from Southern California to Denver, Colorado using Interstate 70. Since the road winds along the mountain walls (providing tons of rocks and pebbles), deteriorated asphalt, added with wet snow (late April 2021), with windy condition, the I-70 was full of peanut-size pebbles. My van was constantly bombarded with flying pebbles from the tractor-trailers. The pebbles were whipped up along with the water sprays by the many open wheels of the trucks. Many of the hits were quite strong to chip the paint and leave pits on my windshield.

That made me thinking. I do long distance travels on my bike but, so far, on clean, dry Interstates. If I were riding my BMW on that I-70 trip, the headlight would had taken some hits. I always have the Touratek grid/grill guard on the bike for years but two points I do not like about the grid/grill:

1) It projects the shadows on the road. It is not that bad in the city nights where there are many other light sources. However, in dark state routes, the shadows got really annoyed. Who else also feels this way?
2) The dirt, bird poops and bugs still get through. Some left tiny scratches. I have to clean the headlight quite often at the gas stops on the trip. Because of that, I think, by bad luck, some pebbles may get through too.

I just ordered this Arashi clear headlight guard / cover / protector for under US$70 :

Surprisingly, the order came within 2 - 3 days (I chose the US option when I ordered). The quality and appearance of the aluminum frame are very, very good. I have the black frame. The clear poly lens is very good too and is replaceable. If the lens breaks, I might be able to make another lens from some poly sheet. The guard can be easily removed for cleaning. I could have made the clear lens for the Touratek mount too (to replace the grill) but I was itchy to order new toys for my bike.

I can't comment on fitment because I have not the chance to install it yet. Just want to share my thoughts on the new accessory.

I highly recommend this item if you look for a clear headlight guard/cover/protector.

·
Registered
2017 White GSA
1,245 Posts
Thanks for the write up. That is a good price.
Please post some pics after you install the guard.

·
Registered
2017 R1200GSA
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the write up. That is a good price.
Please post some pics after you install the guard.
Sure. I will update after the installation. Another concern I have is that I may have reflection back from the lens at night. I will report on that too. Well, this protector is cheap enough (compared to other brand-name products) for me to experiment. At the worse case scenario, I still have my Touratech grill guard to fall back to.

·
Registered
2017 R1200GSA
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just replaced my Touratech headlight grill guard with the new Arashi clear guard. Attached are the comparison pictures of both guards. Note: "mounting holes" = the holes on the bracket where the four plungers on the guard plug in.

The mounting brackets of the Touratech are very good; I would give these mounting brackets 10 out of 10. The mounting holes are far forward (outside of the "grab handles" on the sides of the headlight); the mounting holes align perfectly with the four "plungers" on the Touratech guard; and the brackets stay in that same perfect position after the grill guard is removed. That makes removing or remounting of the grill super easy.

It is the opposite story on the Arashi mounting brackets. I would give them only 2 out of 10. The mounting holes are too close the face of the headlight; where the lower two plungers are mounted inside the "grab handles" with no room to spare. In one of my pictures, I marked the areas with red circles and arrows, where the removing/remounting of the clear guard gets very tricky. It is VERY HARD to remove the clear guard off the bracket. I had to use a screw drive to carefully pry the clear guard off the bracket. Once the clear guard is removed off the brackets, the brackets twist themselves out of place, hence the holes do not align with plungers of the guard. Remounting the clear guard is also difficult. I hope don't have to remove the clear guard often to clean the headlight. Note that I had the clear guard plugged into the brackets before I tightened ups the mounting screws of the brackets. That still did not help the situation.

While the Touratech guard sits about 1.5 to 2 inches forward of the headlight face, the clear Arashi guard is less than an inch away. Due to this closeness, I don't see the back reflection light at night from where I sit. The back reflection light is out of my line of sight, blocked by the instrument cluster. On the Tourateck, I could see the headlight shines on the back of the grill guard from where I sat.

One big plus is the increased amount of light at night. I could not believe how bright my OEM LED headlight could be after getting used with the Touratech grill guard. The grill guard blocked so much light. The diming of the grill guard may not matter to you if you have those aftermarket midnight-sun LED axillary lights.

That's my product review. Let me know which guard you would prefer, the grill style or the clear style. Ride safe.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts