R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So just joined today, awaiting delivery of my 2014 GS.. And only just finding out about engine blow up horror stories...

i guess I had better get that extended warranty!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was reading some owner reviews on MCN and a couple mentioned fairly catastrophic issues resulting in new engine and gearboxes.

given that there are only a couple, I figured that an owners forum was the best place to research further.

·
Registered
54 Posts
By all means get extra warranty if it makes you sleep better at night. I would have thought a 2014 model should have had any inherant problems sorted by now. Of course being a BMW any dealer work won't be cheap, things like tyre pressue sensors and rear suspension units fail and cost hundreds to fix.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don’t get me wrong, I haven’t bought a BMW expecting frugality.. I have owned enough BMW cars to know that. I was just trying to get a sense of whether it’s worth the extra warranty. My default setting is not to bother, since a) It’s a BMW, and b) I am not exactly Ewan McGregor.. It will spend most of its life on the M6 or pooling round the Peak District. 👍

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thinking about it I'm not sure you can buy extra warranty unless it is added when the normal factory warranty is about to expire, unless you know differently.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Engines aren't a worry, it's the final drives that blow up. 😄

On a serious note I'd be more concerned with electrical issues...especially newer bikes with the TFT. I've yet to hear of engine issues. Do your maintenance and you should be fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts