R1200GS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2014 r1200GS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Received a Dear John situation from my ex fiance in mid March, bought an 04 CBR f4i, strapped some bags to it and rode around New England for a week. Reasonable coping method, right? Loved the bike but quickly realized it's short comings. 2 weeks ago, I was riding near Hermy's BMW and stopped by to look at their offerings. Quickly fell for a 14 1200 GS with 18k on the odometer. Traded the CBR and came home with the GS.

So far I've ridden it as much as possible, through a hail storm yesterday (unplanned), some gravel and even the exciting job of commuting 50 miles round trip each day. It's a wonderful bike and is begging me to take it on longer trips. First order of business is tires, current Anakees are beat.

Anyway, thread is worthless without pictures.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi! Welcome! It is good to have another GS owner in here, I love this site and check it out every day as so much information!
I like your bike, looks clean!
Wrt to tyres, I had the same condition tyres when I bought my GS from a BMW dealer (I also bought the bike during pandemic and never saw it in person), anyway, long story short - I talked to BMW and said I am not happy with tyres, they are worn and not safe (even if still legal) and I want a new set, which to my surprise they agreed to change!
So, will it be possible for you to talk to garage you bought the bike from and ask them for a deal on tyres?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Hermy's is a great shop. Bought my 1st BMW from them a few years back.

As for the tires from what I'm seeing they have some miles left on them especially for street. Even new the A3 are not that great off pavement. To me they are a 90/10 tire.

Where are you located? If your close I might be able to help with changing tires.

·
Registered
2014 r1200GS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi! Welcome! It is good to have another GS owner in here, I love this site and check it out every day as so much information!
I like your bike, looks clean!
Wrt to tyres, I had the same condition tyres when I bought my GS from a BMW dealer (I also bought the bike during pandemic and never saw it in person), anyway, long story short - I talked to BMW and said I am not happy with tyres, they are worn and not safe (even if still legal) and I want a new set, which to my surprise they agreed to change!
So, will it be possible for you to talk to garage you bought the bike from and ask them for a deal on tyres?
Thanks for the welcome! They offered me a discount on new tires and install. The bike had a full service prior to me getting my hands on it so I should be good to go for a bit.

·
Registered
2014 r1200GS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hermy's is a great shop. Bought my 1st BMW from them a few years back.

As for the tires from what I'm seeing they have some miles left on them especially for street. Even new the A3 are not that great off pavement. To me they are a 90/10 tire.

Where are you located? If your close I might be able to help with changing tires.
Appreciate the offer! I'm near pennsburg pa (close to Lehigh valley). My driveway is about a 1/4 mile of gravel so I've gotten used to the way it handles with the A3. Looking forward to something with better tread.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Welcome @RobE30 !
Good looking motorcycle you have.
One old school can of Miller! Champagne of Beers!
Enjoy the ride, but do it safely.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hello all. Received a Dear John situation from my ex fiance in mid March, bought an 04 CBR f4i, strapped some bags to it and rode around New England for a week. Reasonable coping method, right? Loved the bike but quickly realized it's short comings. 2 weeks ago, I was riding near Hermy's BMW and stopped by to look at their offerings. Quickly fell for a 14 1200 GS with 18k on the odometer. Traded the CBR and came home with the GS.

So far I've ridden it as much as possible, through a hail storm yesterday (unplanned), some gravel and even the exciting job of commuting 50 miles round trip each day. It's a wonderful bike and is begging me to take it on longer trips. First order of business is tires, current Anakees are beat.

Anyway, thread is worthless without pictures. View attachment 30510
View attachment 30511
Congrats on the "new" GS and welcome. Got my GS Adventure at Hermys back in 2016. Great bunch of guys there.
Bob Liley sold it to me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Welcome to GS Life Rob!
nice bike- you’ll have tons of fun on that. I have a question either for you or others. next time you ride can you feel
your driveshaft area and rear calipers to see if they are cool, warm, or hot? I was riding yesterday pretty hard for
about 2 hours and the temp was around 80degrees F outside and when I got back to the house I felt the front calipers and rotors and they were cool. Then I touched driveshaft area and it was really warm. Then rear calipers and they were hot. I am wondering if this is normal or if I have a problem. Note no R1200 gs’s were harmed during this unusual treatment. About myself- My bike is 2007 r1200 gs with 45000+ miles bought it with 42,000 miles a year ago. I am your neighbor outside of Allentown

·
Registered
5 Posts
Welcome Rob, I too from southeast PA (Chester Co). Congrats on the GS, wonderful machine indeed,..
I bough 4 bikes from Hermys in the last 10 years, they have great people there and nice location too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts