R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
new to the world of bluetooth techno mayhem....is there a proper sequence to get iphone to talk to Navigator to talk to Scala g9x? I have experienced every version of "connectivity" with mixed results. There must be a proper sequence?

·
Registered
749 Posts
With my Sena SMH10 I have to use Multipoint Pairing to have my headset hear navigation and use the iPhone. I have the phone connect to headset before activating GPS. Otherwise I have to pair the phone to NAV5 and calls come through NAV5 to headset and other iPhone functions aren't active.

·
Registered
93 Posts
general rule of thumb is to clear all pairings on all devices. The gps is the hub, everything connects to it. So pair the phone to the gps and pair the scala to the gps. If the phone is, or has been paired to the scala it will sometimes pair before they hook to the gps. Hence clearing all pairings.

The problem with this is that you are forced to have the gps along all the time and I don't do that. So I just never pair to the gps and read the screen for turn by turn.

I'm a Sena user, BTW, but the concepts are the same.

·
2014 R1200GS Adventure
11 Posts
Scala is an exception to the above "gps is the hub rule... sort of. The Gps is a hub indeed, meaning that you need to pair it with both phone and headset, however there is a special "undocumented" routine required when using a phone, Navigator V, and a Scala G9 or G9x.
If you would like to both stream A2DP audio from the PHONE and use the Navigator, then the Scala needs to be paired to both phone and GPS as well. To my knowledge the current Navigator V firmware will not allow A2DP passthough for streaming music off the phone. SOOO Cardo Scala recently built in a workaround which requires the newest firmware, plus a special pairing sequence for the Navigator V to Scala Pair.

Typically you pair a bluetooth phone to your Scala by holding down the center PHONE button for 5 seconds. This puts the device in full bluetooth paired mode for phone. Supports a data connection with telephony, A2DP, phone book support etc.. Once youve done that you need to pair the navigator V to the scala using an undocumented streamlined pairing function.
You enter the streamline pairing mode by holding down the volume up button for five seconds then pairing with Navigator.
you will also want to pair the Navigator V to your phone directly so you can use Smartlink, and phone calling through the Navigator.
If you've done it all correctly you'll hear your Scala say :
"Hello, [Insert Name Here]
Connected to phone 1
Cennecter to phone 2"

Streaming from Spotify on you phone should work, as well as phone calling from Navigator. Or at least mine does. I've got a G9 with the latest firmware.
Please note that audio prioity should be set with the Scala setup app on your PC, with scala connected to PC via USB cable and their proprietary website. I'm not a big fan of how chatty the GPS cal be but oh well. The audio quality from the navigator sucks too but thats why I prefer streaming from the phone.

To recap :
Pair Scala to phone
Pair Phone to GPS
Pair Scala to GPS with new pairing proceedure above

So instead of a hub and spoke pair you now have a star topology. Make sense ?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
new to the world of bluetooth techno mayhem....is there a proper sequence to get iphone to talk to Navigator to talk to Scala g9x? I have experienced every version of "connectivity" with mixed results. There must be a proper sequence?
Here' how I do the pairing sequence between the Nav V, iPhone 6, and headset:

1. Pair the Nav V with the iPhone.
2. Turn on your headset and pair it with your Nav V.
3. Pair your iPhone with the headset.

If I use any other sequence, the phone will not connect to the Nav V, not that it's a bad thing. I really don't use this feature as I like to be stopped to make/receive phone calls.

Mike

·
Registered
749 Posts
Here' how I do the pairing sequence between the Nav V, iPhone 6, and headset:

1. Pair the Nav V with the iPhone.
2. Turn on your headset and pair it with your Nav V.
3. Pair your iPhone with the headset.

If I use any other sequence, the phone will not connect to the Nav V, not that it's a bad thing. I really don't use this feature as I like to be stopped to make/receive phone calls.

Mike
I use the opposite sequence and never fails to connect. But I use multipoint pairing process!

6.2 Multipoint Pairing
Typical Bluetooth headsets can connect with only one HFP (Hands-
Free Profile) device, but multipoint pairing allows the headset to
connect with two HFP devices at the same time. So, when you already
have a mobile phone connected with the SMH10, you can also pair
and connect a second mobile phone or other HFP devices such as
GPS or Sena SR10, Bluetooth adapter.
1. To pair the second mobile phone, press the Jog Dial for 5 seconds
again until the red LED is rapidly flashing and you hear multiple
beeps.
2. Within 2 seconds, tap the Phone Button again, then the LED turns
to blue flashing and the beeps turn to high tone double beeps. You
will hear a voice prompt saying “Multipoint pairing”.
3. Search for Bluetooth devices on your mobile phone. Select the
Sena SMH10 in the list of the devices detected on the mobile
phone.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I use the opposite sequence and never fails to connect. But I use multipoint pairing process!

6.2 Multipoint Pairing
Typical Bluetooth headsets can connect with only one HFP (Hands-
Free Profile) device, but multipoint pairing allows the headset to
connect with two HFP devices at the same time. So, when you already
have a mobile phone connected with the SMH10, you can also pair
and connect a second mobile phone or other HFP devices such as
GPS or Sena SR10, Bluetooth adapter.
1. To pair the second mobile phone, press the Jog Dial for 5 seconds
again until the red LED is rapidly flashing and you hear multiple
beeps.
2. Within 2 seconds, tap the Phone Button again, then the LED turns
to blue flashing and the beeps turn to high tone double beeps. You
will hear a voice prompt saying “Multipoint pairing”.
3. Search for Bluetooth devices on your mobile phone. Select the
Sena SMH10 in the list of the devices detected on the mobile
phone.
Bob, that's funny. Just goes to show you what I know! I'm going to try it your way and hope I don't launch an ICBM somewhere.

Mike

·
Registered
317 Posts
What a pain in the arse I had with this yesterday. I was using a Scala G9x, Nexus 6 running Marshmallow and of course my Nav V.

They were all connected but if i dialled a number the phone did dial but I couldnt hear anything. I came home and grabbed my Moto X running lollipop 5.1 and all worked.

Looks like I'll need to wait for some updates for the new Android OS.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts