R1200GS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well... did it and not sure where I am at....

my background
52 Yr old in good health 5'7" 180lbs with a 30+" Inseam...
Current Bikes: Recently sold Honda CRF450R and I still have a Yamaha YZ250F... Im very comfortable on the Trails and Fire roads. Wheelies, Sliding them around corners with both feet up on the pegs etc...

Past Bikes: 84 XR500R setup for desert racing, and have done 100 mile Poker rides and countless hours blasting fire roads over 70 mph...
started in street with at Honda 250 intercepter twin 30yrs ago ... Sold it and had a Suzuki GSX600 15 years ago and sold it.... and felt comfortable on the street...

Now onto the BMW Story. I could be transferred to Work in Seattle from up North and traffic is a nightmare here. Bikes can ride carpool so it was the tipping point of motivation to get a street bike. The GSA seems to be a good marriage of the need to ride the street and the occasional Dirt or Fire road. Also some summer time camping trips is appealing. Only hesitation is this bike is taller for a street bike and the weight compared to what im used to in an off road bike.

I just bought a 2008 R1200GSA 96k on odometer and I talked to BMW shop doing work on the bike. It got all new bearings and new clutch set at 94k... less then 6 month ago. Seller is an airplane mechanic and is buying a plane and that is the reason he gave for selling the bike. BMW service shop rep said he had it at the end of Oct and it runs perfect. The bike came with a Low Corbin Seat and the original seat. The bike was 6500 and 690 shipping from FL to WA...

My only Hesitation is my not quite 31" inseam and the weight of the bike... Am I over thinking this???
I went to a Local BMW and sat on a 2018 r1200GSA and I was on my toes.... salesmen said they are setup for being right in the middle of the adjustment range...

·
Registered
160 Posts
While I can't comment on your specific bike, I can tell you my experience coming to "tall" ADV bikes from lower sitting bikes. I've got a 31" inseam and although my GSA is a low model, I've had a Super Tenere, Tiger XCx, and a Honda Africa Twin, all taller than my current GSA... The only time I've ever had an issue with height was off-road and thats usually when the ground is very uneven or steep terrain. In those circumstances I really needed to think about where I was going to put a foot down. Sometime I didn't have a choice and over it went... I think I've only dropped my tall ADV bikes once on the street when my pant leg got caught on the foot peg...

·
Registered
298 Posts
I've owned a '09 GSA prior to my current '16 GSA..if it's equipped with ESA shocks try the ' Comfort' ride mode..this setting is the lowest of all the ride modes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am 6' tall with a 32" inseam and still went with the low suspension on my 2018 GSA. I sat on both and on the standard height bike with the seat in the low position, i was on the balls of my feet. I was just wearing regular shoes but looking at my boots I can tell it isn't going to make much difference. Sitting on the low suspension bike with the seat in the low position my feet were flat on the floor which is what I prefer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My CRF450R, I would slid off to one side of the seat and one foot it... that was my go to move. It will probably come back to me real quick. I think for the steep nasty stuff I'll stick with my Yamaha for now...lol

·
Registered
615 Posts
And thanks all for the warm welcome.
I'll add to the warm welcome and add one word of caution. These big adventure bikes require a different technique and skills than light weight enduros. One of the best things I've done with my GS is go to the BMW Performance Training Academy Off-Road school in Greer SC. Highly recommend it to anyone from a noob to dirt to experienced enduro rider as they'll do more to help you make friends with the beast in two days than most people will intuitive get in a year of riding. That's not the only school - there are several around with similar programs. They start out with balancing drills and sprinkle some trials type riding through the course to reenforce that. They'll also put you on different surfaces to reenforce the peg-weighting steering required. They also do maximum performance stops where you learn to push a locked up front wheel through the gravel without putting a foot down, modulating the brake like a human ABS. All great stuff that will greatly increase your enjoyment with these big bikes off the pavement.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GB... thanks for that... Im about 45 minutes north of Seattle and Im beginning to figure out there are some large groups associated to Adv Bikes in this area. Im sure there are some good schools around here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts